Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Sandyford - Where to move to?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been lucky enough to be offered a new role with my current company out in their building in Sandyford Ind Estate.

The problem is I know nothing about the south of the city (having always been a northsider and now living out beyond the M3). Where's good to look for somewhere to rent? Where to avoid? Budget is up to around €1200 a month or so and I'd ideally want a 2 bed or larger if I could get it for the same money.

I was considering around Blanchardstown (as I know the area having lived there for years in the past) but the M50 southbound in the morning worries me as I often pass long queues of standstill traffic on the way to my current office on the north of the city.

I have a car and will have free parking at the office so buses/public transport links aren't essential, but that said if I could save money by getting a LUAS across or something then I'd be all for that too.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Avoid living Northside as the M50 Toll Bridge will cost you a grand a year and as you said the traffic in those directions at peak times can be dire.
    Look at estates near M50 junctions like Firhouse, Knocklyon if you want to drive.
    If you want to jump a Luas to work anywhere around Dundrum/Ranelagh/Rathmines would be handy.
    Or you could just pick up something in Sandyford itself and walk...

Your €1,200 budget will easily get you something decent in any of these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Are you only looking for a house or an apartment?

If you are looking for an apartment then your choices are endless.
    The Ballintyre devolment of apartments and town houses in Ballinteer are lovely. I live there myself with herself and we have no complaints. Its a 10 min drive to Sandyford where i also work, its quiet, has a superquinn and pubs across the road and Dundrum shopping centre is a 20 min walk away. You would get a 2 bed for €1,200.00 handy enough.
    You could also look on daft at Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Dundrum, Knocklyon, Milltown etc etc etc.

Happy house hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I work in Sandyford and moved to Dundrum a few months ago. We pay €1,200 for a large 2 bed apartment on Wyckham Way/Bypass. It works well for me - I can walk to work in under 30 minutes, it's 2 stops/4 minutes on the Luas (Balally to Stillorgan) or I can cycle in 8-12 minutes. I've driven a few times but tbh the traffic getting out of the estate between 5.30 and 6.15 would put me off. If you're not fixed to 9.00 - 5.30, that won't be a problem.

Living beside Dundrum TC is handy - having a 24 hour Tesco, cinema and shopping centre right beside me is kinda nice, especially the week before Christmas :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I work in Sandyford too, and like the above poster live in Dundrum (Wyckham way direction).

You can live in Sandyford but be aware that it is an industrial estate and empties out in the evenings, and there isn't much to do.

I don't work 9-5 so have no issue driving.

To be honest with you, anywhere within a few stops on the Luas will be grand. I'd personally want to avoid anywhere not on the Luas as I like the option of not having to drive to work if I don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for the feedback lads

I have to admit getting stuck coming out of the estate did occur to me alright so having the flexibility/option of the LUAS would be handy. Again it's been a good few years since I lived in Dublin though - what are the fares like say per week?

Price-wise with rents, is there any room for negotiation do ye think or is it generally as advertised?

If I take Dundrum as an example given above, are there any estates/apartment complexes to avoid? Peace n quiet appeals to me but the idea of having everything I might need 20 minutes away did too (as I had when I lived in Blanch)

Thanks again - helps a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback lads

I have to admit getting stuck coming out of the estate did occur to me alright so having the flexibility/option of the LUAS would be handy. Again it's been a good few years since I lived in Dublin though - what are the fares like say per week?

Price-wise with rents, is there any room for negotiation do ye think or is it generally as advertised?

If I take Dundrum as an example given above, are there any estates/apartment complexes to avoid? Peace n quiet appeals to me but the idea of having everything I might need 20 minutes away did too (as I had when I lived in Blanch)

Thanks again - helps a lot :)
    Dundrum is probably the best area around Sandyford to live in I'd say. It was what everyone recommended to me when I was looking a while back anyway.

Luas fairs between Dundrum and Sandyford are pittance. 2.90 return daily or something. Less if you have a leapcard.

As for prices, I think if you get anything for lower than 1200 a month in dundrum you will be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

what are the fares like say per week?

A cash ticket from the TVM is €2.90 for Balally to Sandyford return. A 7 day single-zone ticket is €11.90 and the same ticket for 30 days is €47.50.

If you want more flexibility, a monthly ticket from St. Stephens Green to Sandyford is €71.00 and if you buy it through your company, you can get 20/40% off as well as a small reduction in PRSI. (link).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Luas is great all right. Problem is apartments close to Luas tend to be expensive / hard to bargain on. You could consider renting relatively close to work, but not convenient to a Luas stop + commuting on moped / bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for all the feedback guys..

I've been looking at prices and availability and I think that I may have to look at the sharing option in the short-term (it's looking like I may need to be moving within the next few weeks and to be blunt, I don't have 2k+ for deposits/rent and so on this close after Xmas) and try and save some cash coupled with a slightly higher wage for a place of my own a few months down the line.

Or.. what about the idea of "renting" from somewhere like a B&B or a hotel for 4/5 nights a week as I have heard people who are commuting long distances sometimes do? Anyone have any experience of this and what sort of rates would you be looking for? Plus side I suppose is it would suit my short-term needs and allow me to save (hopefully) while not having to get involved in all the politics and bills that would come with a traditional house share.

Any thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Thanks for all the feedback guys..

I've been looking at prices and availability and I think that I may have to look at the sharing option in the short-term (it's looking like I may need to be moving within the next few weeks and to be blunt, I don't have 2k+ for deposits/rent and so on this close after Xmas) and try and save some cash coupled with a slightly higher wage for a place of my own a few months down the line.

Or.. what about the idea of "renting" from somewhere like a B&B or a hotel for 4/5 nights a week as I have heard people who are commuting long distances sometimes do? Anyone have any experience of this and what sort of rates would you be looking for? Plus side I suppose is it would suit my short-term needs and allow me to save (hopefully) while not having to get involved in all the politics and bills that would come with a traditional house share.

Any thoughts appreciated!

If you need to share then why not look to see are there any houses in Balally, Clonard, Lakelands, Stillorgan Wood - all are within 15 minute walk of the Industrial Estate.

Alternatively there are a heap of apartment complexes within the Industrial estate that you can try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement