Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors' Desperation

Options
  • 03-01-2012 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

A group of actors I know, most of whom are not working. One or two got a few extras jobs though but nothing more. Majority are giving up, some already have, and looking for normal jobs which are as rare as hen’s teeth now. Does anyone have any suggestions before they throw in the towel? I often think about the famous actors and wonder if they just hadn’t been in the right place at the right time, would they be out of work too. Agents are not very productive. You only know your agent is useless when you have been languishing on their books for months/years without any contact. There is a certain amount of unpaid work of course, but not very fulfilling and doesn’t pay the rent or fill the belly. How do you find out about auditions – that is the problem, they are all kept under wraps by those that know about them. The feedback from workshops with famous actors is always the same old rubbish “the importance of personal hygiene”, and “keep trying”, is completely useless and smacks of ‘I’m all right Jack’. Any new advice for starving actors? What about Equity, would membership be beneficial or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Harrison Ford gave up his acting career after being unable to find roles he liked/support his family.

He took up woodworking and cabinetry.

Then he installed cabinets for George Lucas.

So, sometimes the best way to be a star is to get a regular job and wait for a rich and famous guy to hire you and talk to you about a role in his next movie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'll remember that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The drama schools churn out a new batch of actors every year, and yet the amount of roles, stage, tv or film stays the same. You have to be brutally honest, if anyone's been a professional actor for over 7 years and it hasn't happened or them yet then it pobably won't, they should quit as a newer, younger version of themselves will graduate from the Gaeity or where ever. The drama schools sold everyone a pup, and people queued up in their droves to buy one. The work was never, ever there. It was a pipe dream. I have friends who were well known soap stars who can't get arrested today.

I also notice that there are new acting schools opening up as well. It's all business and typically all the hopefuls are queueing up. They will also be queueing up in the dole lines and at the airports to move on with their lives. My heart breaks when I see them. I still believe some auditions are happening, but only the very few know where or when. Could I just ask again please, are there any benefits to joining Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 klaramcdonnell

Irish Equity is great, our version of SAG etc...but they are just a union:)

• Advertisement

Irish Equity is great, our version of SAG etc...but they are just a union:)

Hi klaramcdonnell. What do you mean by 'Irish Equity is great'. Could you clarify.

naasrd wrote: »
    The drama schools churn out a new batch of actors every year, and yet the amount of roles, stage, tv or film stays the same. You have to be brutally honest, if anyone's been a professional actor for over 7 years and it hasn't happened or them yet then it pobably won't, they should quit as a newer, younger version of themselves will graduate from the Gaeity or where ever. The drama schools sold everyone a pup, and people queued up in their droves to buy one. The work was never, ever there. It was a pipe dream. I have friends who were well known soap stars who can't get arrested today.

That would be true if all roles were for twenty somethings! The theatre world is quite a big one and people of all ages, sizes, types are constantly needed!

As for your soap star friends, lucky them!

That would be true if all roles were for twenty somethings! The theatre world is quite a big one and people of all ages, sizes, types are constantly needed!

But not constantly auditioned for! The actors I know (male/female/different ages/different looks) only hear about parts when a play/film/programme has already been cast and running. Is it true that the production companies go straight to a small number of high profile agents all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 klaramcdonnell

I meant, as a union Equity are great and fight for actors rights in regards to rate of pay on set etc.
    I understand what you are saying about there not being alot of work and have a few friends that have recently left the country in search of acting work in the UK or USA. Why don't you try come up with ways of making work for yourself? Put on a play with your actor friends, split the profits, invite agents, casting directors. You need to keep positive and proactive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Equity won't get you any work. Whether or not there is any use being a member is another argument. Though most actively working actors are with UK equity rather than Irish equity.

I'm not sure why you seem to think that you can either try to pursue acting work or give it up entirely and get a "normal" job. It seems naive... unless you're expecting a major break you should be doing both. Nobody will live off odd roles alone - I have worked with people who have held title roles in high profile series and have been very busy as actors but still hold down private jobs. Anybody seriously considering acting as a career should be laying down solid foundations. It all requires a huge personal and financial investment - a normal job (preferably flexible obviously) is part of that.

There's always something you can do - you don't have to be working to be busy. Unless you're at the very start of your career I would generally avoid unpaid work unless it looks as if it is a very real and beneficial opportunity. Look for where you want to go, and keep busy. Make contacts and get the very best agent you can.

Talent is not enough to get by in this industry. There is no shortage of talented actors out there. You have to bring more to the table... one of these things happens to be your agent. It's unfortunate, but in many cases you won't even be considered or seen for many roles without a top agent. Briefs are sent on to them and very rarely to individual actors - so obviously if you're looking for real opportunities to be seen you have to do everything you can to get with them.

In Ireland there are a few very well regarded & connected agents - Lisa Richards / Teri Hayden at The Agency / Macfarlane Chard (UK and Irish base) / Lorraine Brennan - but beyond that, really not much more.

Ireland isn't really a great place to be as an actor. Opportunities are few and far between - yes there are a lot more productions on the go, and plenty having been filmed in the past year, but the fact is that most of these were cast in the UK. Irish castings have and will always occur for the bigger productions, but they tend to be an afterthought.

There are very few major agents or casting directors operating in Ireland. It's a game of numbers, there are simply far far far more opportunities in every regard when you move away..... these days acting isn't the only profession for which that is true.

I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic. Of course plenty have made very successful careers for themselves here, but they are a minority. To really move forward I believe you want to the step and make a move to either the US or London. Not out of the blue obviously... you want to think long and hard before making such a decision. You should have some credentials, work and training to your name. Make sure you set up meetings and look toward opportunities that will make the move work for you. If you're really looking to move forward in your career it's the best thing you can do.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. First of all, if you check my original post you will realise I am just making enquiries on behalf of friends who are actors, so some of the questions directed at me I can't answer I'm afraid. I am not an actor nor involved in any area of that work (thank goodness, it would terrify me), but I understand their situation from conversations with them.

Regarding looking for acting work and holding down a normal job - well some of these lads/lasses are not lucky enough to have 'flexible jobs' unfortunately, only basic jobs with basic pay, some on flexitime. Now I used to think flexitime was a great thing but in reality these days it means you come in whenever they tell you, in other words, you sell your soul to the employer. If you have Monday off and plan to go somewhere for the day, you can get a text on Sunday night calling you in on that Monday and you have to go because you had to sign the contract to get the job. In these days if you can't turn up for your job, you're out, I've seen it happen. Plenty of people to replace you. I won't get into further discussion as I can't make their situations public but I will pass on all the advice and hopefully they will be inspired. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Some solutions:

Make your own work: Write your own pieces or collaborate with a writer etc. Approach small venues or festivals, tour your work (if time allows, or do weekend shows only).
    Related skills: Can you do voiceover work? Not easy, but if you can get a demo together it's work a shot. Even modelling - might be an option for some actors.
    Ads: Send a CV to the casting agent(s) if you don't have an agent. They are unlikely to call your for a lead role in the remake of Hedda Gabler or I Claudius sight unseen, but would be happy to call you for an ad if it's only about a look.
    Teach: Can you offer drama classes at a local drama school or independently?
    Workshops: Can you use your acting skills in a corporate setting?
    Skills: Languages in particular. Irish gives you megapoints more than the regular candidate in terms of work here. On the soaps, for VO, theatre too.

The agents someone listed are all strong, but there at least three or more strong ones (including some of the co-ops) that get the same briefs and are trusted. A listers may tend to be with one or two of the top ones, but you will find many working actors on some not mentioned here. Of course then there are the 'agents' that people roll their eyes at :)

inisboffin wrote: »
    Of course then there are the 'agents' that people roll their eyes at :)

Thanks for the extra advice. and yes I've seen them :rolleyes: too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tabstheatre

Most actors at some point in their careers consider giving up. And most eventually do. But the whole if you've been at it for 7 years and you're not successful just give up bit, is odd. There is no hard and fast rule. In fairness everyone's career is different. And there are lots of actors out there who didn't become successful until their 30's or 40's. Whether you give up and get a 'real' job will ultimately come down to you and your personal circumstances. Most of the people I trained with have either diversified within the industry or moved in PR or media. You need to be flexible.

Yeah there are brilliant agents out there and there are good agents out there. You don't walk into a brilliant agents office and get signed the day after you graduate, you come up the ranks like in any other job. You start with an ok agent and you try to keep on top of your own career. Anyone who says they haven't spoken to their agent in 6 months is neglecting their own career. You do fringe and profit-share to build a name and reputation for yourself and you get a job in a bar or restaurant so you're free to audition during the day.

And yeah it doesn't matter if you are the most talented person in the room, if you don't look right, you simply don't get the part. That sounds shallow but it is the truth. I don't mean you have to look perfect, you just have to look like what the director wants. And as you never know what that is. So take rejection with a pinch of salt. The trick is to take success with a pinch of salt too!

Yeah the irish industry appears to be all sewn up but there are always openings. Be in the right place at the right time. (simples!!!)

Thanks tabstheatre. That's sound advice.

Advertisement