Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

septic tank vrs mains sewage

• 03-01-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi,
    I'm trying to get a handle on which is the most cost effective route for me to take with a property i am renovating.
    The (old) property i'm buying has a septic tank which needs to be replaced. However, due to a recent housing estate being built not too far away the mains sewage is only about 400m away.
    I've heard it costs about $17.50 / meter (in county clare) to dig up the road and about $1135 to connect to the mains sewage which to me sounds like a good deal given that sewage/percolation systems seem to cost $10k+
    Have i missed any hidden costs? What do people think, would it be worth getting the mains connection sorted given the increasing yearly costs of a septic tank?
    thanks in advance,
    colum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If it's possible to connect to a mains sewer then that's the way to go. Just make sure the sewer is in charge of the LA and not in the control of a maintanance company for the housing development.

Advertisement