Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank holiday hours when not working?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, I have a quick query.

If you are on a full time, permanent contract and waged rather than salaried, what are you entitled to if you are not scheduled in to work on a bank holiday?

I was told it was 8 hours by my father and friends, but after checking back some old payslips, it appears I have only ever been paid 4 hours for each bank holiday, even though I would normally work between 8-10 hours a day.

Is this right? I checked it out with a few other staff there and it's the same for them too. All of us are only being paid 4 hours on bank holidays when we don't work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Quick look on Citizen's Information says you're entitled to a paid day off. But there is no specific hours. I couldn't give you a definite answer but I would have also assumed it was 8 hours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Should be paid 1/5th of your normal working week hours (i.e. if your contracted to work 40h a week you'd be paid 8h, if you work 20h you'd be paid 4h etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Hey there, I have a quick query.

If you are on a full time, permanent contract and waged rather than salaried, what are you entitled to if you are not scheduled in to work on a bank holiday?

I was told it was 8 hours by my father and friends, but after checking back some old payslips, it appears I have only ever been paid 4 hours for each bank holiday, even though I would normally work between 8-10 hours a day.

Is this right? I checked it out with a few other staff there and it's the same for them too. All of us are only being paid 4 hours on bank holidays when we don't work.
    How many hours per week do you work? Have you been absent for unpaid periods before a bank holiday. The best people to contact re your issue is NERA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm contracted for 39 hours a week, same as everyone else, but the hours vary from between 16 a week to 50 a week. But even the people who work a regular 50+ hours a week are only paid 4, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thats the same for me too. I work 36 hours per week and I get 5.5 hours for Bank Holiday when I am not rostered to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

I had my boss ring me today on my day off il add,to tell me because i was paid double time on new yrs day i wouldnt be getting double time for bank holiday monday.surely this is wrong or am i missing something????

Advertisement