Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limosine breeding???

• 03-01-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

just starting to look for a limosine stock bull for our conti suckers.

looking to understand what the differances are between the different blood lines within the breed.

appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

good place to start is the list of bulls in the irish limosuine website and have a look at the star ratings. when you are talking to the breeders you can then make a decision from what the bull is out of. make sure to match the bull to the cows, if the cows are not easy calving like BB make sure its out of an easy calver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

well i think i should open this up a bit
    looking for limosine breeders in cork
    i am looking for an easy calving bull in particular.

bit irritating that the society site does not have a list of its breeders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

49801 wrote: »
    well i think i should open this up a bit
    looking for limosine breeders in cork
    i am looking for an easy calving bull in particular.

bit irritating that the society site does not have a list of its breeders

if you really wantr to go down this route you can go into the online herdbook and search animals by setting your criteria eg calving difficulty of less than 5% and from co cork that will give you a list of animal names that yoou can select and pick an indivudal bull, but unlike the simmenthal herdbook it wont tell you the breeder despite the fact that a quick search in google will tell you that info (if the breeder has attended a ped sale in the last few years) bit stupit really, the british site equivlent search basco will give you postcode phone number and even email addresses .... it is a buisness after all
    to be honest it may just be simpler go to one of their sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

flatout11 wrote: »
    if you really wantr to go down this route you can go into the online herdbook and search animals by setting your criteria eg calving difficulty of less than 5% and from co cork that will give you a list of animal names that yoou can select and pick an indivudal bull, but unlike the simmenthal herdbook it wont tell you the breeder despite the fact that a quick search in google will tell you that info (if the breeder has attended a ped sale in the last few years) bit stupit really, the british site equivlent search basco will give you postcode phone number and even email addresses .... it is a buisness after all
    to be honest it may just be simpler go to one of their sales

i've been playing with it but the online herdbook does not work when you select by location. I have done a search like you discribe without the location criteria but its impossible to figure out where these guys are. only a few breeders have their details on the herd book when you click into a bull. some do use their herd names that are actually their townlands but am not long enough in the tooth to know them all in cork yet;). very frustrating.

I may like you say go through the ped sales reports and get names and try and fine them in the phonebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Some of the societies have 'local' clubs. I don't know if the Limousine soc has but if there was local branch to you they would be worth a shout.

A soc sale would be a good starting point too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

try pellettown herd. they have an add in the journal this week. we bought the last two bulls off him. good stock and serious selection. He will help you out with anything to do with limos. his namme is roger an absolute gent. has an open day once a year. he just makes the rest of us look like were twenty years behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

49801 wrote: »
    i've been playing with it but the online herdbook does not work when you select by location. I have done a search like you discribe without the location criteria but its impossible to figure out where these guys are. only a few breeders have their details on the herd book when you click into a bull. some do use their herd names that are actually their townlands but am not long enough in the tooth to know them all in cork yet;). very frustrating.

I may like you say go through the ped sales reports and get names and try and fine them in the phonebook.

all you need is to search for the herd name in google the sales catalogues will usually come us and you will get the name and address, however as i said previously its a pity they arent using system to its potental
    1chippy wrote: »
    try pellettown herd. they have an add in the journal this week. we bought the last two bulls off him. good stock and serious selection. He will help you out with anything to do with limos. his namme is roger an absolute gent. has an open day once a year. he just makes the rest of us look like were twenty years behind.

yea mc carrick has a nice selection of stock allways worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

1chippy wrote: »
    I was wondering what happened them. They were very active in the Limousin scene, shows etc, but they seemed to have slipped off the radar. Good to hear they are still going strong. Working more from home these days, I suppose. Whelan1 worked there for a while, If I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Boher boy

You could contact limo society office in mitchelstown they should be able to help and there is also a cork club. What part of the county are you based in??

Advertisement