Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on NGB Availability/Line Capacity and if Enabled or not

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi Ant & Mark,

Had a courtesy call from an Eircom last week to check if everything was ok with service and if there was anything could be done to help save money etc. this is all fine,
    I said I was happy with my 3mb package as I get approx. 2.8mb 99% of the time and never had any issues.

So I took the opportunity to ask the question about when NGB was going to be available as the NGB site stated April – June,
    but I knew there were delays and it was pushed out to September/October

When I asked, the rep told me my area was in fact now enabled and I could receive up to 10mb download, that’s the puzzling part - every time it was mentioned I was told every time I could get up to 10mb
    Checked prices with rep and it seemed to work out a bit cheaper, even on the Regular NGB as I would go over the 10 GB most months.

Checked the Eircom website and prices matched but it is all quoted as up to 8mb not 10mb

Is there a way to get my line checked (in Athy) for 1) if NGB is available and enabled and 2) what speed my line could possibly take 8mb/10mb/24mb?
    Thanks,
    Pablo

Eircom.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for your post.

The Athy exchange was due to be enabled for NGB at the end of December 2011. This was pushed back, though your exchange should be upgraded in the coming weeks. Most likely by the end of January or February this year.

There are basically 2 residential NGB packages : Regular NGB is offered up to *8Mb, while Advanced NGB broadband will be up to *24Mb. Therefore if your broadband pre-qualifies for 10Mb, you will probably be automatically put on the *up to 24Mb NGB. This is however dependent on the exchange and on what profile the engineers view as the most suitable for each individual customer. If your exchange is upgraded up to *8Mb NGB, then you will be put on the up to *8MB.

There is no need for you do to do anything as the process of upgrading the exchange will be done automatically.

Let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

Adsl itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

Pablod wrote: »
    Hi Ant & Mark,

Had a courtesy call from an Eircom last week to check if everything was ok with service and if there was anything could be done to help save money etc. this is all fine,
    I said I was happy with my 3mb package as I get approx. 2.8mb 99% of the time and never had any issues.

So I took the opportunity to ask the question about when NGB was going to be available as the NGB site stated April – June,
    but I knew there were delays and it was pushed out to September/October

When I asked, the rep told me my area was in fact now enabled and I could receive up to 10mb download, that’s the puzzling part - every time it was mentioned I was told every time I could get up to 10mb
    Checked prices with rep and it seemed to work out a bit cheaper, even on the Regular NGB as I would go over the 10 GB most months.

Checked the Eircom website and prices matched but it is all quoted as up to 8mb not 10mb

Is there a way to get my line checked (in Athy) for 1) if NGB is available and enabled and 2) what speed my line could possibly take 8mb/10mb/24mb?
    Thanks,
    Pablo

Eircom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

That's great thanks for the reply Ant
    Thanks for your post.

The Athy exchange was due to be enabled for NGB at the end of December 2011. This was pushed back, though your exchange should be upgraded in the coming weeks. Most likely by the end of January or February this year.

There are basically 2 residential NGB packages : Regular NGB is offered up to *8Mb, while Advanced NGB broadband will be up to *24Mb. Therefore if your broadband pre-qualifies for 10Mb, you will probably be automatically put on the *up to 24Mb NGB. This is however dependent on the exchange and on what profile the engineers view as the most suitable for each individual customer. If your exchange is upgraded up to *8Mb NGB, then you will be put on the up to *8MB.

There is no need for you do to do anything as the process of upgrading the exchange will be done automatically.

Let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

Adsl itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 trevor100

could you please tell me when the bundoran, co donegal exchange is due to get Ngb. T.hanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

trevor100 wrote: »
    could you please tell me when the bundoran, co donegal exchange is due to get Ngb. T.hanks

Hi trevor100,

I checked with the NGB roll-out team and they are hopeful the Bundoran exchange in Donegal will be NGB enabled in 4-8 weeks.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

The town I live in was enabled for NGB some years ago (I believe it was one of the first towns enabled). The entire town is served by one exchange, or so I thought. I've recently moved into another housing estate in the town which it transpires is served, not by the main exchange, but by a roadside cabinet at the entrance to the estate.

According to the coverage map on http://ngb.ie/, the entire town (including this housing estate) and its peripheral areas are both enabled and migrated to NGB (if I remember correctly it has displayed this for at least two or three years). Now I have discovered that our estate is an island of last generation broadband in a town where every other area can avail of next generation broadband.

Seeing as the NGB migration of the entire town is considered done and dusted according to http://ngb.ie/, does this mean that Eircom consider the entire town to be NGB migrated and have no intention of enabling NGB for our one housing estate? It's incredibly frustrating as this relatively new estate (circa 6 years) is stuck with slower speeds and lower download allowances while houses all around it (including ones built long before the formation of Telecom Éireann!) can avail of much faster speeds, and more importantly unlimited downloads!

Our house is roughly 400m from the cabinet. The Eircom technician installing the line said there was roughly 430m of copper wire to the cabinet. We subscribe to the Broadband Home Plus product (3 Mbps down and 384 kbps up) and get speed and ping test results as follows:

1698913072.png
    54241924.png

We haven't got a poor line or live at the end of kilometres of cabling, so it's frustrating that the only reason we get lower speeds than houses all around us is that our line goes to a roadside cabinet rather than the main exchange serving the area. Ideally we'd like to be enabled for NGB, but at the very least can Eircom update the online coverage map so that it doesn't show non-NGB areas as being NGB enabled?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Can you PM me the location of that cabinet and I will tell you what the chances are ?? You will see on the NGB map that Clonakilty in Cork has a hole showing for a cabinet like that.

Advertisement