Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 as a Camp Counsellor?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm an undergrad student and looking to do a J1. I practically have a job guaranteed as a day camp counsellor in New Jersey for the summer months. Sadly I just saw on the j1 website that they don't allow camp counsellor jobs.
    Is there anyway around this?
    What exactly is this http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/camp-counselor ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Where did you read they don't allow it? The website you linked to seems to clearly state that they do allow it. I know people who have gone on summer J1s (not the year round ones, obviously) as camp counsellors, though that was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

J-1 is a category of visas. Within this category there are several programs. The most common being the summer work/travel program and the 12-month graduate/intern program. If you look at that link you posted, you will see all the programs available. Camp Counsellor is its own program.

For the summer work/travel program, certain sponsors are designated by the state, ie. USIT, SAYIT, go4less etc. Camp Counsellor positions are not allowed on this program with these designated sponsors. However, within the Camp Counsellor program, these positions are. You can look at the full list here for each program. Through these sponsors, you can apply for the J-1 visa (camp counsellor program) and work in that kind of position.

Let me know if you need more clarification on anything, it can be VERY confusing :)

J-1 is a category of visas. Within this category there are several programs. The most common being the summer work/travel program and the 12-month graduate/intern program. If you look at that link you posted, you will see all the programs available. Camp Counsellor is its own program.

For the summer work/travel program, certain sponsors are designated by the state, ie. USIT, SAYIT, go4less etc. Camp Counsellor positions are not allowed on this program with these designated sponsors. However, within the Camp Counsellor program, these positions are. You can look at the full list here for each program. Through these sponsors, you can apply for the J-1 visa (camp counsellor program) and work in that kind of position.

Let me know if you need more clarification on anything, it can be VERY confusing

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Im travelling to the states as a camp counsellor but I am doing it through a group called campleaders, I say give them a call they would probably be more then happy to help you sort out your visa,

They have found my camp for me and I am just waiting on a written contract to arrive to confirm my place

Advertisement