Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Broombridge station the best station in Ireland

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

There is a poll on Irishrail.ie asking to vote for the best station in Ireland, I think we should vote for Broombridge, Not because its the best, Its quite the opposite in fact. Hopefully if it wins Irish Rail will do something about the state of the station, Its already number in the polls so lets keep it that way!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's that time of year again :D

Anyone here any good with creating sigs? We can spread the word

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/station_awards.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Ah it's time for the Best Station awards again? :D

Seems they're trying to combat vote-stuffing by asking for a mobile number and an e-mail address this year.

Not going to stop me giving Broombridge all 5's :P

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Apparently Iarnród Éireann have been giving Broombridge a clean up and a lick of paint!

Preparing a photo op for the winner of the Best Station Award perhaps? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Considering that there's a "Mystery Shopper" element to the selection of the winner, surely Irish Rail can circumvent having to crown Broombridge numero uno?

Yes, they did that last year

Broombrige doing great in the voting but they disallowed it as a rogue selection

Rigged I tell ya :(

mikemac1 wrote: »
    they disallowed it as a rogue selection

What? How do you know? I really hope that is not the case.

There must have been a massive amount of votes in for Broombridge and I have no doubt that it is the winner.

This is a fantastic opportunity for IÉ to engage with the Irish people online and admit to their failings in Broombrige.

Unfortunately, they will most likely shrug this off and completely miss the the point.

I know as I voted and followed it

http://dublinobserver.com/2010/11/disgruntled-commuters-high-jack-rail-station-awards-voting/
    A train station with friendly staff and pretty flowers is what you’d expect to win Irish Rail’s best station award, but internet users have other ideas.

“It seems there is a bit of Wagner X-Factor style campaign going on here for Broombridge,” said Oliver1985, a boards.ie user referring to others saying they were voting for Broombridge Station in Dublin.

Broombridge is an unmanned, graffiti marked station located in a part-abandoned area between Finglas and Cabra on the Maynooth railway line.
    Commuters who use the station report of regular destructive behaviour. Users say they see scrambler motorcycles being driven on platforms and burnt-out debris in and around the station. Train users also claim the area is a hotspot for trains being stoned or bricked.

Another user, Terrontress, said with hope: “Personally speaking, I’d love to see their press release if Broombridge won.”

However, attempts to make Broombridge the station of the year are unlikely to succeed as shortlisted stations are visited by a ‘secret shopper’.
    “While as with all text and internet polls of this nature, orchestration of voting can occur, all votes for stations will be registered and shortlisted stations will then be assessed in the mystery shopper exercise as detailed on irishrail.ie,” said Barry Kenny, head of communications at Irish Rail.
    Irish Rail’s best station awards asks commuters to rate stations on staff helpfulness, customer information, the station’s presentation, and staff appearance. Kenny said the company hopes overall that customers enter into the spirit of the awards, which are about rewarding staff who provide good service and encouraging improvement in customer service.
    But all those who rate a station will be entered into the prize draw. Kenny said, “Customers who submit any ratings for any stations, positive or negative, will be entered into the draw for weekends away and for free travel.”

On the issues at Broombridge, Kenny said: “Regular customers of Broombridge will be aware that there is a significant anti-social behaviour issue in the immediate vicinity of the station. Over a number of years, we have undertaken works to improve the station or replace facilities, but regrettably these have been subject to repeated vandalism.”
    He added: “Overall, there would have been times when these issues have been worse than they are currently, but we liaise with Gardaí in our scheduled meetings to address such problems as they arise in Broombridge or elsewhere.”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Broombridge is a sh1thole alright. But I'll tell you this, there's nothing about my station that makes it brilliant so yeah my vote goes to Broommbridge.

Stupid competition btw.

• Advertisement

I know in our local station, the station master spends more time with flowers and hanging baskets then anything else

Part time Irish rail worker/ full time gardener :pac:

I don't care, gives him something to do and the flowers do look well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I know in our local station, the station master spends more time with flowers and hanging baskets then anything else

That's nice. If that was my station I'd be voting for it. But it's not so BB it is :)

"Over a number of years, we have undertaken works to improve the station or replace facilities, but regrettably these have been subject to repeated vandalism.”

Install some barriers, cameras and security perhaps. :rolleyes:

What a fecking disgrace.

It is IÉ's duty to provide a service to this station.

WE PAY TAXES FOR THIS.

IÉ are the monopoly here.

How rich of them to claim that Broombridge is a no-go when they have already given up on the station

What a disgrace.

This is why Ireland needs new Rail operators. IÉ are simply not capable of running a rail network.

A feckin disgrace. :(:(

Last time I was in Broombridge the local ne'er do wells were up on the bridge dropping stones and bricks on an inter-city train speeding through. Just hit the roof, doubt any damage was done thankfully

It's a drowning in the canal that they need :mad:

It's realy a unique area. Just a few km from the city centre and it's almost like you're out in the country side, can be so quiet at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There was CCTV cameras installed at the station a few years back. The "locals" took them down within a day or two, same way they remove anything that's put in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There was CCTV cameras installed at the station a few years back. The "locals" took them down within a day or two, same way they remove anything that's put in there.

Time the 'station' itself was removed and IE take steps to properly secure the whole railway from Connolly as far west as Clonsilla - at least. Chances of it happening - zero. Vote Broombridge #1

They tried to some time ago. The "community leaders" kicked up and it still remains open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If Line D ever gets built Broombridge will get quieter because RPA will have to have active security of their tens of millions worth of stabled rolling stock and the usual routes in and out of that area will have to be better scrutinised. That and property values rising because of the ease of accessing the CBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They tried to some time ago. The "community leaders" kicked up and it still remains open.

So what if they kick up, it is dangerous for everyone else so close it.

They can ask for it to reopen after the other community issues are addressed.

The other stations aren't even that far from Broombridge that don't make passengers fear for their wellbeing when they stop there.

Shut it down already FFS. Don't know why they caved to some "community leaders", doesn't really appear like the community gives a damn about the community.

Yeah, yeah, you can hear it already, it is only a small few at it. Really because the same is said for every no go area and all trouble everywhere yet other rail stations don't have the problems Broombridge has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

...and what station might that be ?

• Advertisement

Nenagh

It's a branch line, only eight trains a day afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Machine gun nests might have been a better option.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Machine gun nests might have been a better option.

They'd steal them as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Here's a suggestion that would be fair to everyone, and would be cheaper in the long run too, meaning it's also fairer on the tax-payer.

Remove the station and rehouse any customers in nearby Ashtown.

Or, if it's cheaper, provide customers with a taxi service from their front doors to Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I imagine that most of the users are going to the Dublin Industrial Estate rather than locals.

Advertisement