Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: going directly to vendor

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

A few months ago I placed a low bid on a house I was interested in. IMO the house was way overpriced, but the vendors declined the offer (and did not initiate any further bargaining, which I would be happy to do).

The house has since been taken off the market while the owners reconsider their position.

Is it acceptable to call into the owners directly to try to re/start negotiation? What are the moral/legal implications of this (ie not going thru the RE?)

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moral implications: Who cares? It's a business transaction. They have a commodity that you wish to purchase. Unless you plan on defrauding them, there is no moral dilemma :)

Legal implications: None for you. In most cases when an EA is hired to sell a property, they are entitled to their fee when the property is sold, even if the buyer didn't go through the EA.
    If the house is taken off the market, afaik most of the time there is a certain amount of time the sellers have to wait, otherwise they would have to pay the EA. This is to stop people getting an offer, taking the house off the market and then selling it immediately to avoid EA fees.
    In any case, that's none of your problem. If the vendors did owe the EA money, that's a civil matter between them.

Can't hurt. I would advise dropping a note into the house rather than calling in person, inviting them to call you if they're still interested in selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Thanks - a note is def a better way to go rather than them feeling ambushed at the door ;-)

WRT the moral implications - I suspose I was thinking more of the RE agent as I have had viewed the house thru her a few times. but if she is going to get cash anyway, then there's no prob.

Advertisement