Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you setup poste restante?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I've heard about this service where you can get your post delivered to a post office if you are visiting a certain place and you have no address to get you mail delivered too. I'm in Dublin at the moment but will be going to Belfast for 10 days and need to get it setup. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with how to get it up and running would i need to physically go to Belfast first before setting it up or is there like an application form or something i'd need to fill out.

I've called Royal Mail and can't get through too busy and its says on the website, to get started "Apply in person at the Post Office® branch you’d like your post sent to", but what if you're not from the North? do you still have to apply in person or is their another way to apply? I'd rather not have to make a bus/train journey all the way up to Belfast just to apply but if i had too i would :)

thanks in advance

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/receiving-letters-parcels/redirection-options/poste-restante

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it's only for 10 days I wouldn't will end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can you ring the post office direct in belfast rather than a call centre?. I rang post offices here before and just asked if I could get it sent to them, they said yes and I just send it to
    my name
    C/O Post office
    etc
    etc

Then I brought ID along and collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Trilla90 wrote: »
    but what if you're not from the North?

Then you can't set it up. This service is for UK citizens to have their post held at a post office, or delivered to another post office within the UK (or where ever else Royal Mail operates). It is not for people that live in other countries to have mail redirected to a Royal Mail post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

jor el wrote: »
    Then you can't set it up. This service is for UK citizens to have their post held at a post office, or delivered to another post office within the UK (or where ever else Royal Mail operates). It is not for people that live in other countries to have mail redirected to a Royal Mail post office.

Really? i thought you could use it abroad too if you where going on holiday for example http://www.royalmail.com/you-home/going-on-holiday

allot of countries seem to have the service an post do it too but is there no way of getting mail delivered to the north if you have no address? you couldn't for example get mail delivered to a hotel could you if you happened do be staying there i thought there would be some service for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Poste Restante is exactly for that purpose, for non residents to have mail sent to a Poste Retante address in the country they're visiting.

It's an internationally recognised service used by all member administrations of the Univeral Postal Union.

In Ireland the regs are set on in the Postal Service Leabhair Eolias 1 & 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

Ok so if anyone else is interested or wants to know i just found out you don't actually need to preregister to use this service you just have to confirm that the branch (for example in Northern Ireland) has the poste resante service and that they have enough room available then you should be good to go. Then you just have to confirm your id when you go to collect your mail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Residents, not Citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tazmeego

rubadub wrote: »
    Can you ring the post office direct in belfast rather than a call centre?. I rang post offices here before and just asked if I could get it sent to them, they said yes and I just send it to
    my name
    C/O Post office
    etc
    etc

Then I brought ID along and collected.
    Hey, what post office was this? And you got your mail sent there no problem without applying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Plenty of virtual mail box companies offering the service - some will also forward the mail to you every week to another address.

Handy if you are setting up a UK arm of a company and want to have a UK address.

Just google "Virtual mail address belfast" (or wherever you need the address)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Rent a PO Box

• Advertisement
Advertisement