Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to adopt a rabbit near Dublin

• 03-01-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

we rescued a male rabbit recently (an abandoned dwarf cross, about 8 months old). We neutered and vaccinated him and we treat him with the best care (oxbox hay, garden grass daily cut, fresh vegetables).

We're searching for a female rabbit, about the same age, possibly already neutered / vaccinated / treated for worms as a companion, and of course we're only considering adoption / rescuing (we will never buy one).

We contacted the DSPCA and they have none (luckily :)), but we're finding difficult to get in touch with any other *SPCA.

Would you advice where can we look at for a rescue?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think you are meant to keep same sex pairs. Also it can be difficult to bond

http://silvering.webs.com/ does re homed rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnny.bill

Thanks godtabh - I thought that I had to keep different sex for a better bonding

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

You could also try secretwoods.webs.com these are in longford I think and are appealing for homes for rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnny.bill

Yeah I contacted them a number of times, but the mobile numbers provided are unreacheable and they didn't get back on email yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

godtabh is totally wrong you can have them in same sex pairs once neutering/spayed and they do bond well it's just a matter of finding ones where their personalities match just like with other animals (and people) you just have to find ones that 'click'.

There are bound to be some rescue buns looking for a home perhaps try a rescue outside of your area, rescue animals are often adopted from other counties even from the other end of the country.

Try Limerick animal welfare and various other rescues and keep an eye out, usually the end of summer when kids go back to school is when idiotic parents suddenly realise their kids are bored with the bun and couldn't be bothered taking up the slack that's when lots of rabbits need homes.

Also try the irish rabbit club forum as well. Oh and irishanimals.ie or petsireland think they both now have Facebook pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The DSPCA sometimes have rabbits and other small pets in need of rehoming. Worth giving them a call and if they don't have any now, they might keep you in mind if ever any do come in.

http://www.dspca.ie/cat_animals_need_homes_detail.jsp?itemID=597

Advertisement