Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wile Night Last Night!!

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have damage caused to their homes? Everyone i have spoken to says it was the worst one they experienced, i agree it was bad but didnt think it was too bad (my wife would say otherwise!!) The only damage to our home was the little canopy over the extractor fan on the outside of the house was blown off and broke but thankfully that was all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Was pretty bad around 5am last night, And i would agree that it was the worst i can remember. However there does not seem to be any damage i can see from a quick inspection of the surrounding countryside, I guess all the recent storms have eliminated the weak structures/trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

few trees down around the area but listening to the outside now might be in fopr another round tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A 30 foot tree nearly came through the roof at our house in Letterkenny, on the west coast at the moment so haven't seen the damage yet but neighbour says it was a lucky escape

Don't think it was as bad as the Stephens Day storm in 98 but a bad one all right

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

It woke me about 4.45am, with the little sleep I have got in the last 2 weeks it must have been bad. Had left out the wheelie bin for collection, at 6am I was gonna get up and bring it in, but figured it would already have been blown over so left it. Was still there when I got up, all in one piece, so we've been lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Our recycling bin full of tins and cardboard started off against a wall, then made it's way into the middle of the garden! We were woken at about 4.30-5.00 by what we thought was thunder or a lorry falling 6000 feet and smashing through our neighbours house, turned out to be a stupidly hard blast of wind. There was also half a bush that used to be on the hill in our back garden that is now in front of our back door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Our coal bunker went for a wander!

Our coal bunker went for a wander!

Ours lost it's padlock in the storm a few weeks ago, not entirely sure how that one happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It was a hurricane! Taken from the Inish Times Facebook page -

"
    It’s official folks - Inishowen was indeed hit by a hurricane! Met Eireann issued the following statement earlier: “At approximately 5.40 this morning, Jan 3, 2012, our station in Malin Head recorded a 10-minute mean windspeed of 68 kts (78mph, 126km/hr, 35m/s), making it a Beaufort Scale 12, hurricane force, wind.” They added it exceed the previous record for Malin Head of 67 kts, recorded on St Stephen's Day 1998."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was woken by the wind at 4am and was awake until about 8am when it got a bit lighter (both in terms of visibility and winds).

Strongest winds I can remember, it was very loud, always sounded like a huge truck bombing past the house.

Lost my TV aerial and a couple of small trees uprooted but thankfully nothing structural.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Worst nights wind I can remember.

Strange sound with the wind last night coming down off the mountains, like a constant whistling noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

The big price sign outside the N13 petrol station was lying on the ground as I was passing by this morning; be in no big hurry to put it back up i'd say..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Worst nights wind I can remember.

Strange sound with the wind last night coming down off the mountains, like a constant whistling noise

homer-simpson-looking-up%5B5%5D.gif

What the.... but..... I'm....homer.....tooo ....many....homers.....

-home.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

*Looks at both join dates*

Think you're the pretender here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I heard Malin Head hit 169kmh (110mph, I think).
    Here (Sligo) it was pretty bad but I think Stephen's day '98 was still alot worse. Far more structural damage and trees down back then. And it snowed the next day, so collecting sheets or corrugated iron out of a deep drainage canal, in the snow, up to our knees in muddy water, hauling sheets of iron around. It was all a bit Western Front 1915 for my tastes.

il gatto wrote: »
    I heard Malin Head hit 169kmh (110mph, I think).
    Here (Sligo) it was pretty bad but I think Stephen's day '98 was still alot worse. Far more structural damage and trees down back then. And it snowed the next day, so collecting sheets or corrugated iron out of a deep drainage canal, in the snow, up to our knees in muddy water, hauling sheets of iron around. It was all a bit Western Front 1915 for my tastes.

sure how could you tell in Sligo, coulda just been a good night out...

sorry couldn't resist!

i know the wind was bad and all but hurricane! jeez thats crazy. Anyone any idea just how much rain fell over the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

danniemcq wrote: »
    sure how could you tell in Sligo, coulda just been a good night out...

sorry couldn't resist!

i know the wind was bad and all but hurricane! jeez thats crazy. Anyone any idea just how much rain fell over the last few days?

Yeah i find the hurricane category given to it hard to believe also but then again i apparently slept through most of it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

danniemcq wrote: »

A wile amount,I have a new swimming pool out the side of my house! No recession with me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

CJC999 wrote: »
    Yeah i find the hurricane category given to it hard to believe also but then again i apparently slept through most of it :cool:

I was out and about and it was pretty bad. Trees bent over in the wind, stuff like bins blowing around, car being dragged around on the road, slates rattling.
    Well danniemcq, I can hardly argue with that. Impromptu demolition and lumberjacking are often the order of the day with the locals after a few pints:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

I noticed a satellite dish lying in the drive of one of our neighbours house yesterday morning. Think they have gone for Christmas and New Year. Lucky their car was not parked there during the storm or could have been seriously damage.
    Not sure who owned the dish though.....at least it wasnt mine!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It was only hurricane force for one hour at Malin Head, probably about storm force 10 most places with force 11 on the coast

• Advertisement

Today was worse, the wind wasn't as bad but it was during the day when stuff needed done! Doing the shopping was about as fun as being slapped with a chunk of salmon(which nearly happened!)

Harps wrote: »
    It was only hurricane force for one hour at Malin Head, probably about storm force 10 most places with force 11 on the coast

sure thats grand then so.:D

No damage can be done in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

homer-simpson-looking-up%5B5%5D.gif

-home.jpg

I was here first :D:D

spankie_no-homers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

1 Homer is bad enough ;)

Back to the wind .. was terrible again last night. one of my neighbours shed door kept banging every minute or so.. i swear if it keeps me awake tonight again i may not be responsible for my actions :mad:

It was terrible going through Glentogher this morning. Worst driving conditions I have seen in nearly 20yrs of driving.

Storm winds complete with heavy rain, then giant hailstones that were coming so fast that the wipers couldn't clear them fast enough to drive, plus then the brightest lightning flash ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

NIMAN wrote: »
    It was terrible going through Glentogher this morning. Worst driving conditions I have seen in nearly 20yrs of driving.

Storm winds complete with heavy rain, then giant hailstones that were coming so fast that the wipers couldn't clear them fast enough to drive, plus then the brightest lightning flash ever.

Sounds like the end of the world! Perfect timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sounds like the end of the world! Perfect timing.

Bit early for the end of the world, thats not due to happen till next December!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Strong winds but nowhere near as bad as 98 it done a huge amount more damage !

• Advertisement
Advertisement