Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Pc

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Current system is 5 years old and showing it's age.

Got it for 900 euro on bargain alerts in 2007, best money I ever spent.

Anyway its an

XPS 710

Intel QX6700 @ 3.2ghz
    8800 GTX x 2 in Sli €480 approx
    4GB 633Mhz DDR2
    2* 160Gb 7200Rpm Raid 0
    Nforce590 for Intel based BTX Mobo
    750 Watt PSU.

Only thing I added to it, in the 5 years was a samsung spinpoint 1tb hard drive.

As its a Dell, I cant really upgrade it and will build a new one like I did before I got that one.

What should I buy.

Have a buyer for the XPS.

Thinking

icore 7

GTX 560

H67 Mobo

8gb ddr3

Been thinking of upgrading for a while, but there hasn't been a massive jump in Tech to make it worthwhile.

Friend of mine is saying 880gtx sli is still good enough for DX11 games and to wait a year or two until Maxwell is released.

He says the tech available the year or two before next gen consoles from the giants Sony and Microsoft is always poor compared to what will come when they are close to release.

So should I wait.

Monitor is 22" 1680x1050

Playing Modern Warfare 3

Just bought Batman: Arkham City in the play.com sale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Squall19 wrote: »
    Current system is 5 years old and showing it's age.

Got it for 900 euro on bargain alerts in 2007, best money I ever spent.

Anyway its an

XPS 710

Intel QX6700 @ 3.2ghz
    8800 GTX x 2 in Sli €480 approx
    4GB 633Mhz DDR2
    2* 160Gb 7200Rpm Raid 0
    Nforce590 for Intel based BTX Mobo
    750 Watt PSU.

Only thing I added to it, in the 5 years was a samsung spinpoint 1tb hard drive.

As its a Dell, I cant really upgrade it and will build a new one like I did before I got that one.

What should I buy.

Have a buyer for the XPS.

Thinking

icore 7

GTX 560

H67 Mobo

8gb ddr3

Been thinking of upgrading for a while, but there hasn't been a massive jump in Tech to make it worthwhile.

Friend of mine is saying 880gtx sli is still good enough for DX11 games and to wait a year or two until Maxwell is released.

He says the tech available the year or two before next gen consoles from the giants Sony and Microsoft is always poor compared to what will come when they are close to release.

So should I wait.

Monitor is 22" 1680x1050

Playing Modern Warfare 3

Just bought Batman: Arkham City in the play.com sale.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

If you fill everything out there,we'll have a good idea of what you need and the best build will be, eh, constructed? Drafted? I don't know :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Can you keep the 1TB drive? They're very expensive at the moment and that will allow you to buy a small SSD.

What do you mean? Do you mean that PC hardware has smaller increments in performance before big console releases?

That's not really true at all. Consoles have little influence on hardware progression. What does happen is that consoles often have better hardware in them than what you'd get in an equivalent PC on release because they are sold at a loss (money is made back on the games).
    If there are new consoles around, the game/software developers have more power on hand and make more ostentatious games. This will push people on PCs to upgrade a bit more, rather than the situation we have now with systems lasting longer as budget systems greatly overshadow the consoles. If more hardware is bought, it will push the market a bit but not to great extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Eboggles wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

Getting 300, trying 350 for old pc ( to a friend ) and have about 500 on top of that.

So 800-850.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

Just games, web browsing, converting files.

Have a htpc in sitting room for films, xbmc, blu ray films etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

No, have an Windows 7.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

Brand new build.

Going to sell off old pc to friend.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

No have one.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

22"

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

Just a card reader, have everything else.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

Yes always do.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

All above.

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

Straight away if a good price.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Can build myself.

Used hardwareversand or something for parts before on my htpc.

Getting 300, trying 350 for old pc ( to a friend ) and have about 500 on top of that.

So 800-850.

Just games, web browsing, converting files.

Have a htpc in sitting room for films, xbmc, blu ray films etc.

No, have an Windows 7.

Brand new build.

Going to sell off old pc to friend.

No have one.

22"

Just a card reader, have everything else.

Yes always do.

All above.

Straight away if a good price.

Can build myself.

Used hardwareversand or something for parts before on my htpc.

Total build cost: €844.98 + €30 shipping
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA €16.72
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €29.57
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €97.64
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s €119.90
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €101.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €54.31
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €144.70
    Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil €75.76
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz €8.51

Slightly over budget, but should do great. You could downgrade the case a little, to save money, maybe a bitfenix merc, or a xigmatek asgard. I have a 550 watt psu in there (6870 only needs 450, ShadowHearth has it running on a 375) which should last for future upgrades. Depending on how much gaming you do, you could drop to a HD6770 and get a 450 watt, or splash out on a HD6950 1gb.

Monotype wrote: »
    Can you keep the 1TB drive? They're very expensive at the moment and that will allow you to buy a small SSD.

I have agreed to sell the lot, only thing I will keep is my mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers etc, desktop will go.

I dont need huge space 500gb is more than enough.

What do you mean? Do you mean that PC hardware has smaller increments in performance before big console releases?

That's not really true at all. Consoles have little influence on hardware progression. What does happen is that consoles often have better hardware in them than what you'd get in an equivalent PC on release because they are sold at a loss (money is made back on the games).

If there are new consoles around, the game/software developers have more power on hand and make more ostentatious games. This will push people on PCs to upgrade a bit more, rather than the situation we have now with systems lasting longer as budget systems greatly overshadow the consoles. If more hardware is bought, it will push the market a bit but not to great extent.

He said Nvidia and Ati have amazing tech on the way in late 2013, Maxwell for Nvidia which will probably be in the next gen consoles.

He said Ati and Nvidia are small time compared with Sony and Micosoft and the huge money involved in those two companies will mean exclusiveness to the 2 giants with regard to future tech.He is saying massively powerful cards will be around near to the consoles launch.

Made sense to me anyway, those two companies generate incredible revenue and I suppose Amd and Nvidia want some.

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »
    Total build cost: €844.98 + €30 shipping
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA €16.72
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €29.57
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €97.64
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s €119.90
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €101.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €54.31
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €144.70
    Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil €75.76
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz €8.51

Slightly over budget, but should do great. You could downgrade the case a little, to save money, maybe a bitfenix merc, or a xigmatek asgard. I have a 550 watt psu in there (6870 only needs 450, ShadowHearth has it running on a 375) which should last for future upgrades. Depending on how much gaming you do, you could drop to a HD6770 and get a 450 watt, or splash out on a HD6950 1gb.

Looks good but will a HD6950 be up to it in 18 months time?

Is that even much faster than my 2 x 8800gtx

I bought my last machine with the hope it would last me for years @ 1650 x 1080 high details.

It did the job.

It's only now it's showing its age 5 years on ( well Crysis did it 2 years ago, but that did it to every machine )

I want something with a bit of future proofing, something that will have the power for the new Unreal Engine 4.

Im putting almost a grand into it, so want it to keep me going for a few years.

I bought my last machine with the hope it would last me for years @ 1650 x 1080 high details.

It did the job.

It's only now it's showing its age 5 years on ( well Crysis did it 2 years ago, but that did it to every machine )

I want something with a bit of future proofing, something that will have the power for the new Unreal Engine 4.

Im putting almost a grand into it, so want it to keep me going for a few years.
    Here's a good crossfire board, you could get the 6950 now (It'd be a good bit better than the two 8800s) and then put one in in 1-2 years time, crossfire 6950s pack on hell of a punch! It's an extra twenty euro, but as you said it's worth it putting in future proof tech, you should have this build for a long time. Might want to up the psu though, 650 watts should cover it if you want to go down that route. I'd normally recommend the xfx 650 watt, but its out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I have agreed to sell the lot, only thing I will keep is my mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers etc, desktop will go.

I dont need huge space 500gb is more than enough.

That's ok, Eboggles' system has the hard drive/SSD angle covered anyway.
    He said Nvidia and Ati have amazing tech on the way in late 2013, Maxwell for Nvidia which will probably be in the next gen consoles.

He said Ati and Nvidia are small time compared with Sony and Micosoft and the huge money involved in those two companies will mean exclusiveness to the 2 giants with regard to future tech.He is saying massively powerful cards will be around near to the consoles launch.

Made sense to me anyway, those two companies generate incredible revenue and I suppose Amd and Nvidia want some.

AMD and nVidia always have some "amazing" tech on the way. They're not going to release cards that completely pwn a previous series because it's bad business practice. They will always try to keep some tricks up their sleeves for a rainy day and so unless they mess up we see the usual 10-30% better with a few new features thrown in.

I certainly agree that having a contract with the major consoles is by no means something to scoff at with sales in the trillions of euro. With nVidia in the current playstation and AMD in the Xbox and wii (and in it's successor), a shut door to them would set them back but a new contract is unlikely to change things much. The most important things for these GPUs seems to be cost and reliability (i.e., keep heat low (think of xbox) and size compact), then performance. Remember that a properly tweaked card of today with games optimised to suit exactly that hardware would look very impressive in a new console. AMD and nVidia get a huge amount of business here but I don't think that it would be too much to assume that MS and Sony keep the pressure on them to keep costs low as they could just walk to their competitor next generation.

Yes, the 6950 is definitely more powerful. Even a 6870 would probably be a good improvement. It should easily handle that resolution. However, if you're not in a desperate hurry, the new AMD 7900 and 7800 series are being released this month and next respectively.

Advertisement