Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Connection daily reset

• 03-01-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Can anyone explain why a DSL connection needs to reset once per day. I work from home over a VPN connection so this reset is a pain since it will always cause the VPN to drop. I asked tech support and the only suggestion they had was doing a manual modem reset before I go to bed, but this will work only until my connection drops so I would prefer a more hi-tech solution. I have a Zyxel modem supplied by o2 and this does not appear to have a setting to do a scheduled reset at a pre-defined time which is odd if the reset is an essential part of the protocol!

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting around this?

Thanks,

Fergus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What provider? Some connections reset in order for your modem to be assigned a new WAN ip, as the lease expires. Getting a static IP from your provider may help, depending on the provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

My provider is O2 but I had BT (now Vodafone) previously and they did the same thing. Both are just reselling Eircom so perhaps this is controlled by them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Static IP so would sort that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Most dynamic connections use radius for authorization and accounting. The session timeout attribute for most radius servers has a max value of 86400 seconds (24 hours) so most of them will kick you off every 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I noticed a situation in the last few weeks where my connection (eircom "NGB") was dropping at a random time during the day, requiring me to reboot the router after which all was ok until some point the following day when it'd happen again.

Nothing was changed on my (rather extensive) home LAN/server/domain setup except that I got a new Vostro 3350 laptop - unless this was the cause?

Anyway, I have a Buffalo router hanging off the modem and just configured that to reboot at 6am every day. Problem hasn't returned since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement