Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice coffee places

Options
  • 03-01-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi,

I like trying out different cafés' looking for a decent cup of coffee and a place you can just sit in and kill some time/read a book....

I used to like Latitude on Michael St however, it changed in the past couple of months to Adele's, I was never as fond of it after that...

Any recommendations? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Hi,

I like trying out different cafés' looking for a decent cup of coffee and a place you can just sit in and kill some time/read a book....

I used to like Latitude on Michael St however, it changed in the past couple of months to Adele's, I was never as fond of it after that...

Gallwey's, over near Christchurch Cathedral is nice. It's a bit out of the way, so it's nice and quiet. I'm not a coffee drinker, but their chocolate is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Hi,

Gallwey's, over near Christchurch Cathedral is nice. It's a bit out of the way, so it's nice and quiet. I'm not a coffee drinker, but their chocolate is lovely.

Sounds good, must check it out, I'm not fond of pubs like Geoffs or such...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sounds good, must check it out, I'm not fond of pubs like Geoffs or such...
    This spot is just a café.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Hi,

Have you tried Harlequin on Stephen St ? Great Coffee and Great Food plus friendly staff

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Poppy's on johns street is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Berfranks on the Quay on start of next block up from clock tower going towards GPO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

thomasm wrote: »
    Berfranks on the Quay on start of next block up from clock tower going towards GPO

+100 here,

I like my coffee, if I could be bothered I think I would make a good coffee snob but Berfranks is far and away my fav coffee in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I used to haunt Latitudes when it was there, I haven't been into Adeles as regularly, but the one thing they have done is switch the coffee to Ponaire, which is the tastiest coffee I've ever had in my life. I've even started buying the bags for home use out in Ardkeen. Lovely stuff.

While I appreciate the effort and the courage of whoever is running the Lily O' Briens cafe for opening up during the recession, I'm sorry to say that their coffee is absolute pisswater. They use Illy coffee, which I normally wouldn't care enough about to object to, but this is just stink. It's a pity, because in every other way they're doing brilliant, but I can't stomach what they give out in a coffee cup.

I think Berfranks use Java Republic coffee, which on a home machine tastes over roasted and slightly burned, but I think the big machines can handle it better. Nice looking place too, maybe a bit too much going on at the front with all the bits and pieces they sell.

The kiosk in the centre of town is okay, but it's Bewleys, and I can only drink that once there's enough milk and sugar in there to doctor out the weakness of the coffee.

Geoffs actually have pretty decent coffee, and I've never felt like I was in a pub once I've a book in my hand, especially if you manage to nab a space under the heater out the back during a week evening.

Me, fussy? Never...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ Start a coffee blog, I could take all your Knowlage and pass it off as my own :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's some nice cafe's in town, but there's not a single one serving good coffee.

Berfranks and Harlequins would be my favorites to grab a cup of tea/sandwich. I used like the Book Centre, but I've not been in there in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's a new chain int he Book Center now, can't think of the name of it, anyone know it's possible to get to the cafe from the lift or is it up the stairs where the art book used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Would agree on Gallwey's really good cappuchino aswell, and a nice touch they give you a couple of choclates in a little dish with your drink. Their hot chocolate is supposed to be great as they melt real chocolate in, not mix powered stuff like most places.

Other than there I would go for Berfranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Woodgate wrote: »
    Would agree on Gallwey's really good cappuchino aswell, and a nice touch they give you a couple of choclates in a little dish with your drink. Their hot chocolate is supposed to be great as they melt real chocolate in, not mix powered stuff like most places.

Other than there I would go for Berfranks.

+1 for gallweys, harelequin and Mint cafe (new one down in 33 The Mall)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There's a new chain int he Book Center now, can't think of the name of it, anyone know it's possible to get to the cafe from the lift or is it up the stairs where the art book used to be?

The book centre place is called Cafe Libro. I asked about a lift and got the below reply. Not really suitable for kids and buggies I dont think because you couldn't leave the babies downstairs while you go up to order!

"There is a lift in the centre but unfortunately not up to the mezzanine level, but don't worry we will make sure that anybody with limited mobility will be looked after! There will still be tables and chairs downstairs too :) Come and visit soon."

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

They are always really good in Cafe Libro about helping mums with buggies and such. It is a pain indeed you can't take the elevator to that level but the baristas are well trained and well, its a good cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

I heard a rumor that there is going to be a Costa Coffee opening up soon, that should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

sounds a bit thick this but the following based on the places rather than the coffee,
    Coffee shop in the park
    Berfranks
    Harelquins
    Granville

Buddy of mine got a job with Costa, they are going in town (I believe next to Pennys... could be wrong about location but they are definitely going in town).

Not too sure about their coffee, but i hear their tea in unreal :)

Twoelles wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that there is going to be a Costa Coffee opening up soon, that should be interesting.

Yep, one in town and one in the cinema I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickDub

I actually prefer Adeles to the old Lattetude. Lattetude was becoming a bit ragged looking and I think the people who took it over have done a good job in brightening it up. The staff there are really friendly and I agree with dashboard_hula, the Ponaire coffee that they serve there is the best around by far! I think it won some awards in the Fine food awards (or something like that)
    I used to like Harlequen but its not the same since, the guy who used to own it left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Twoelles wrote: »

its open, next door to pennys

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

its open, next door to pennys

Don't think its open yet? They were still working on the place today.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

sillysocks wrote: »
    The book centre place is called Cafe Libro. I asked about a lift and got the below reply. Not really suitable for kids and buggies I dont think because you couldn't leave the babies downstairs while you go up to order!

"There is a lift in the centre but unfortunately not up to the mezzanine level, but don't worry we will make sure that anybody with limited mobility will be looked after! There will still be tables and chairs downstairs too :) Come and visit soon."

A safe haven with no mommy's little darling's running around and screaming.Sound's good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Missus days that Cafe Lucia do a decent coffee but then her friend works there and knows how much she likes 'er coffee and might be making a special effort.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Went to Mint the other day. Lovely coffee, gorgeous Italiano sandwich, sound, friendly staff and a lovely room.

What ruined the experience? They had a soccer match going on a laptop with commentary from the radio. All you could hear was a crowd of English lads chanting and a couple of commentators rabbiting. :mad:

It would have been absolutely perfect if there had been some low-key music going. I have a certain amount of sympathy for the lads there, but at the end of the day, they're in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the missus was in costa coffee @storm cinema today and there giving out free coffee all day!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Is Costa open in town yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

the missus was in costa coffee @storm cinema today and there giving out free coffee all day!!!!!!

No way and I was just in tesco poleberry earlier, if I had known I so woulda went in there , I've only recently become in love with coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Yip Costa Coffee opened today, free coffee from 11am to 8pm tonight so I heard

Was in work today and 2 colleagues went in and there seem to be a few teething problems..nothing major but they were waiting 20 mins for 2 coffees, one colleague asked for a Vanilla Latte and was given a coffee with loads of milk so it tasted like just warm milk and the other just wanted a coffee but ended up with the strongest ever as they had put 3 shots into the one cup...the machine he said seemed to be causing them a bit of hassle and there was milk all over the place..they tried twice to do their order..they were well flustered when they came back to the office..

like i said though, teething problems i'd say as the new staff get used to the new machines:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickDub

Popped in to Costa coffee this afternoon, jast as how I remember the coffee from Kilkenny. stink!! The place looks nice inside but much smaller than I expected, looks even better on the outside.
    Think I'll be back to my old haunt, best coffee and freshly made food:)

Advertisement