Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice coffee places

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wasn't free for me, I was in both stores and they were charging people. You got it free if you had a voucher, some people seemed to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Sully wrote: »
    Wasn't free for me, I was in both stores and they were charging people. You got it free if you had a voucher, some people seemed to have!

the only way you get free coffee in that place is rob it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Was gona go in yesterday but they have of a awkward lookin step so didn't bother as I had the buggy with me. The effort of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Chimerical32

I was interested to know the opening hours of the places ye recommended. I found the following details:

Adele’s Café , 20 Michael Street, Waterford
    051 844828, Mon-Fri: 8.15am–5.00pm, Sat: 8.30am–5.00pm

Berfranks Café, 86 The Quay, Waterford
    051 306032, Mon-Wed: 8.00am–5.30pm, Thurs-Fri: 8am–6.00pm, Sat: 9.00am–5.30pm

x Cafe Libro, The Book Centre
    ?????

Café Lucia, 2 Arundel Lane, Waterford
    051 852553, Mon-Sun 9.30am–5.00pm, 9.30am–7.00pm on Fridays. (Also @ Ardkeen Stores, Dunmore Road, Waterford)

x Costa Coffee, Near Penney's & @Storm Cinema
    ?????

Gallweys Chocolate Café, 10 Henrietta Street, Waterford
    087 6839304, Mon-Sat: 8.30am–5.00pm

Harlequin Café Wine Bar, 37 Stephen St. Waterford
    051 877552, Mon-Wed: 8.30am–8.30pm, Thurs-Fri: 8.30am–10.30pm, Sat: 9.30am–10.30pm

x Mint Cafe, 33 The Mall
    ?????

Poppy’s Café, 53 John's Street, Waterford
    051 876404, Mon-Thurs: 10.00am–5.00pm, Fri-Sat: 10.00am–9.00pm, Sun: 12.00pm–5.00pm

Note: Here's where I found the times etc. http://goo.gl/VRTwK
    There are more Cafés listed on that page but the above were your recommendations.
    If anyone would care to fill in the gaps that might be useful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

michellie wrote: »
    Was gona go in yesterday but they have of a awkward lookin step so didn't bother as I had the buggy with me. The effort of it all.

Is the side door not more accessible? I think its a flat entrance on that end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Went to Costa coffee near the cinema didn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mint is 08:00-17:30 Monday to Saturday. Really big fan of the coffee in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Smile12

can anyone tell me the opening hours for costa coffee shop in waterford beside penneys please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

The thing I hate most about the cafes in Waterford is how you start to get dirty looks if you stay longer than 20mins :( I was in Brunch the other day around half three and got the oddest look for staying half an hour - I'd finished my dinner (lasagne and chips SO GOOD) and sat back with a coffee reading/metabolising.

It seems to be very much in-out, quickly clear away the dirty mugs and vacate the seat, get the feck. I don't think the coffee culture of working/writing/surfing/reading for an hour or two in a cafe has ever gained popularity here.

And it's a pity, I know I'd spend a ton of dosh in a place that would let me sit in peace for an afternoon, where I could order refills without getting up from the laptop. Does anybody know a place in Waterford that welcomes such behaviour? I don't believe in buying one cup of joe and staying all day, but like I'd order a coffee or two every hour or so and the odd pastry. And tipping really well when I left.

Even if the library had a setup like that, but their 'study rooms' are a joke.

It drives me bonkers too how most of the above cafes close at 5:30pm, but that's a rant for another day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    The thing I hate most about the cafes in Waterford is how you start to get dirty looks if you stay longer than 20mins :( I was in Brunch the other day around half three and got the oddest look for staying half an hour - I'd finished my dinner (lasagne and chips SO GOOD) and sat back with a coffee reading/metabolising.

It seems to be very much in-out, quickly clear away the dirty mugs and vacate the seat, get the feck. I don't think the coffee culture of working/writing/surfing/reading for an hour or two in a cafe has ever gained popularity here.

And it's a pity, I know I'd spend a ton of dosh in a place that would let me sit in peace for an afternoon, where I could order refills without getting up from the laptop. Does anybody know a place in Waterford that welcomes such behaviour? I don't believe in buying one cup of joe and staying all day, but like I'd order a coffee or two every hour or so and the odd pastry. And tipping really well when I left.

It drives me bonkers too how most of the above cafes close at 5:30pm, but that's a rant for another day :)

I think that's a pretty crazy generalisation. I spend a lot of time in cafes in Waterford and I never get that impression. On the other hand, it would never even cross my mind to go into Brunch...

Basically, find a nice big cafe, such as the Grannary or the Cafe Libro (Book centre), buy token hot drink, sit down, and nobody will bother you, ever, unless you start "occupying" the place. Really, if any cafe is quiet, I can't imagine the run been put on them. It looks good to have people in a quiet cafe.

You don't look kind of scruffy or dangerous, do you? ;)

If you're spending money, then what's the problem. By the way, just because someone asks you "if you're all right" doesn't mean they want to kick you out -- but if you don't like being asked, go to a bigger cafe. If you go to the Theatre Royal cafe and buy a coffee, you have to practically beat them off offering you top ups, in you drink about 3 cups of coffee at once. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I can't say I agree either. I spend a lot of time in cafes with my rowdy nephew and nieces and never felt we were outstaying our welcome. On the other hand, maybe I'm just an ignorant feck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Had a lovely cappuccino upstairs in the book centre would recommend a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Had a very nice cup of coffee in costa beside Pennys yesterday , But..... The tables were all either occupied or dirty when we went in, I cleared the stuff off of one to sit down, the 2 staff were under no pressure but chatted behind the counter for the 20 minutes we were there and never cleared the table,ffs when will we learn?
    The Costa at the cinema is spotless and the two girls in there are brilliant , just for balance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Had a very nice cup of coffee in costa beside Pennys yesterday , But..... The tables were all either occupied or dirty when we went in, I cleared the stuff off of one to sit down, the 2 staff were under no pressure but chatted behind the counter for the 20 minutes we were there and never cleared the table,ffs when will we learn?
    The Costa at the cinema is spotless and the two girls in there are brilliant , just for balance

They are not quick in Costa by any means. But, you realise you could have just gone upstairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

merlante wrote: »
    They are not quick in Costa by any means. But, you realise you could have just gone upstairs?

I think you miss my point

Iv found the Costa by Pennys very slow alright, was in there one day last week and it was busy enough but not hectic. Very slow at getting the orders done, didn't seem to do table service (seemed nervous of carrying them) and the tables were not cleaned. Three members of staff I saw on that day - one for the til, one for the drinks and the other wandering around mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

You don't look kind of scruffy or dangerous, do you? ;)

Ha, ha, no - a gal in a suit, dangerous but not scruffy ;)
    If you're spending money, then what's the problem. By the way, just because someone asks you "if you're all right" doesn't mean they want to kick you out -- but if you don't like being asked, go to a bigger cafe.

Oh I agree! Of course I don't mind being asked if I'm alright, it's the tutting and sighing if a server comes over to clear the table. I leave promptly whenever that happens. But I do leave a tip, even if s/he's surly.

I guess my main gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a cafe that actively welcomes work-from-home types, occupy a table for an hour or two, automatic refills without having to get up and leave the table/your stuff... That sort of thing.

Perhaps I'm too Americanised for my own good! :D (AmericaniZed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I agree 100% with Grand Blaa here. I see it a good bit on my travels and when I am on work related business. I would do a good bit of business in places like this meetings etc. There is always a few people there with the laptop or tablet going about their business and I admit it the waiter(ess) is always polite.

One or two coffees getting out of the office and still doing your work can be of great benefit work wise I find.

What I don't agree with is a person sitting there for 2/3 hours with a one coffee. Then I can understand the gripe but if the person is getting a few refills I don't see an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 muppetmaster

I go to Brunch quiet a bit sometimes in the morning and other times in the afternoon, I only ever have the one coffee and have sat there for up to 2 hours at a time without a second glance from anyone.... I agree there are some places that just want you in a out, one that come to mind is Kylemore you're only just finished and the plate is gone. Love going to Berfranks too can sits there for hours watching the world go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

wellboytoo wrote: »

I agree, very clean and much more nicer than the one up town, but slow.... I understand there is stringent procedures when it comes to making coffee (The Costa way) but it's by no means quick. Just getting a black coffee is slow, but besides that the sandwiches and the cakes/biscuits are really nice, really recommend the red berry coolers actually.... They are unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Don't know if it has been mentioned before but I think Debenhams is great if you want a coffee while reading a good book! Also very handy for mammies meeting up with buggies! Staff very nice about heating up bottles/food for the babies :)

Advertisement