Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Office Robberies

• 03-01-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

From the RTÉ site:
    RT&#201 wrote: »
    Cash stolen in Co Wicklow post office raid

Gardaí are investigating two separate post office robberies in the Co Wicklow towns of Avoca and Arklow.

Two men are being sought following the theft of around €2,000 in a raid on a post office in Avoca, Co Wicklow.

The robbery happened as the post office was opening, just after 9am.
    Gardaí say two raiders, armed with a hammer and a knife, entered the premises and threatened staff.

They escaped on foot, with what is being described as a small amount of money, believed to be in the region of €2,000.

No one was injured during the raid.

Elsewhere in Wicklow, gardaí are investigating an attempted raid on another post office in Arklow.

A man entered the post office at about 2.10pm and demanded money. It is believed that he was carrying a firearm.

He left the scene a short time later. Nobody was injured in the incident and nothing was taken.

Narrowly avoided this myself, joined the queue in Arklow at around 14.25, completely oblivious to what was going on, it closed a few minutes later. A worrying development considering the recent spate of shops being robbed locally.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The two who attempted to rob Arklow post office were arrested, hopefully they're the same two who robbed Avoca.

http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2012/1/895/attempted-raid-at-arklow-post-office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I sincerely hope it's not the same prat who's already been caught twice, pretending an airsoft yoke was a gun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I sincerely hope it's not the same prat who's already been caught twice, pretending an airsoft yoke was a gun.
    It was two gougers with a knife and a hammer.

slowburner wrote: »
    It was two gougers with a knife and a hammer.

That was in Avoca. I'm talking about the failed one in Arklow.

Don't know what the Arklow raiders had in their hand but there was two of them
    http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2012/1/895/attempted-raid-at-arklow-post-office

• Advertisement

Don't know what the Arklow raiders had in their hand but there was two of them
    RT&#201 wrote:
    Elsewhere in Wicklow, gardaí are investigating an attempted raid on another post office in Arklow.

A man entered the post office at about 2.10pm and demanded money. It is believed that he was carrying a firearm

¬_¬

You can have the last word ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i drove by arklow PO just after it happened. the gardai had the south quay closed off so i presume thats where they caught the fella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

i drove by arklow PO just after it happened. the gardai had the south quay closed off so i presume thats where they caught the fella

I heard something about a van being found abandoned on the quays alright, and that the thieves were intercepted at Ashford. Must have pulled the old switcheroo...

It was the same two gougers who robbed Avoca post office and then Arklow.
    They were both arrested.
    In the Avoca raid, they smashed the partition window with a hammer, jumped in while menacing the lone postmistress with a knife and fled with the cash box and a relatively small amount of cash.
    They got nothing in Arklow.

The raid took all of 35 seconds - it might take years for the postmistress to get over such a terrifying experience.

Fair play to the Gardaí for nabbing them. Let's hope they serve a long sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

The raid took all of 35 seconds - it might take years for the postmistress to get over such a terrifying experience.

Fair play to the Gardaí for nabbing them. Let's hope they serve a long sentence.

Indeed. No doubt we'll hear the sob-stories about how "poor Johnny was a good lad really, he just couldn't afford the rent" or something similar.

Advertisement