Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Intruder Alarms

• 03-01-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Afraid I'm not at all savvy on the topic of alarms and would appreciate some help!

I was strongly considering the option of a wireless intruder alarm system for my Mums 2 bed semi detached dormer (she's had an unwelcome visitor recently). But having read through some post on here I'm now having second thoughts.

My main concern is the ease in which these systems can be blocked by jammers. Is this true for all wireless systems or just some? It seems a pretty useless set up if the signal can be easilly blocked.

Thank you in advance for your post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jose1 wrote: »
    Afraid I'm not at all savvy on the topic of alarms and would appreciate some help!

I was strongly considering the option of a wireless intruder alarm system for my Mums 2 bed semi detached dormer (she's had an unwelcome visitor recently). But having read through some post on here I'm now having second thoughts.

My main concern is the ease in which these systems can be blocked by jammers. Is this true for all wireless systems or just some? It seems a pretty useless set up if the signal can be easilly blocked.

Thank you in advance for your post!

I am sure you are referring to GSM jammers which can block the GSM from communicating when the alarm activates more so than the wire free systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Pardon my ignorance in such matters, but I was of the opinion that the signal from the intrusion (door or broken window entry) to the alarm box itself was blocked, therefore rendering the system useless and preventing the alarm to sound. I just assumed it was this wireless signal that was blocked by jammers!

Looks like I might have misunderstood what I was reading or did I?

Pardon my ignorance in such matters, but I was of the opinion that the signal from the intrusion (door or broken window entry) to the alarm box itself was blocked, therefore rendering the system useless and preventing the alarm to sound. I just assumed it was this wireless signal that was blocked by jammers!

Looks like I might have misunderstood what I was reading or did I?

Yes you have, if an intruder was to try jam a wirefree system then the system will activate. With a GSM blocker jamming the communication signal there is no indication of this.

I've got it now! Many thanks for your reply.

I've got it now! Many thanks for your reply.

Your welcome, any other questions let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Just incase your going the DIY route it would be best to stay away from alarms sold in the likes of B & Q .They can easily be blocked.

Does any sim card work in these wireless 'text' type alarms? If so, do security features on the card need to be altered or will it just work straight from the pack?

Thanks!

Does any sim card work in these wireless 'text' type alarms? If so, do security features on the card need to be altered or will it just work straight from the pack?

Thanks!

O2, 087 and 085 are commonly used. With some GSMs the security code will need to be turned off for it to work. If you get the sim, register it on line so you have access to it to check credit and top it up with out having to take out the sim. Most GSMs that are made for the system will allow you remote access to the panel for setting, unsetting of the system aswell as monitoring the system. No need to do much with the sim only set up the system for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Thanks!
    Any sim will work, just remove the pin on the sim

Advertisement