Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lilyhammer [** BBC4 **]

• 03-01-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Netflix's first Original Series, Lilyhammer, will debut next month on their Streaming Service, and it looks pretty decent. Starring Steven Van Zandt (the brilliant Silvio from The Sopranos), the series is described as:
    After he testifies against a Mafia boss, ex-gangster Frank Tagliano enters the witness protection program and asks to be sent to Norway. Despite the peaceful surroundings, it's not long before Frank strays from the straight and narrow.

Trailer for the Series:

Had me sold at Steven Van Zandt. Netflix is due to launch in Ireland this quarter, hopefully in time for this! Obtaining it from "other sources" may even prove difficult seeing as it's an Online exclusive!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ obtaining it would be rather easy, you can rip and capture anything.........

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

So funny. This series was set to premiere in Norway on NRK, the RTE equivalent, on 1. january, but was posponed indefinitely after NRK discovered illegal product placement in the series. Rubicon TV, an Oslo based tv-production company, is the producer of the show and had made agreements with companies to place products in the show, in exchange for goods, services or cash. Product placement in norwegian tv-shows that are broadcasted from Norway isn't legal.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2011/12/20/nrk-halts-new-lilyhammer-show/

This was the only norwegian tv-series I was actually looking forward to seeing this year, and now I may have to wait until it becomes available as a download, instead of watching it on tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus this looks awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

All 8 episodes have been put up on Netflix, for those who can access the US version of the site! BBC 4 has acquired the rights too so should be on there soon! Annoyingly it isn't on the Irish or UK Netflix site, probably will be after it airs on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rashers10

Dman001 wrote: »
    All 8 episodes have been put up on Netflix, for those who can access the US version of the site! BBC 4 has acquired the rights too so should be on there soon! Annoyingly it isn't on the Irish or UK Netflix site, probably will be after it airs on BBC.

Just great. Wasn't the point of this to give Netflix some exclusivity.
    Also, wouldn't it make sense to have a global release over Netflix and eliminate the piracy angle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

rashers10 wrote: »
    Just great. Wasn't the point of this to give Netflix some exclusivity.
    They have some exclusivity. In the main US market

It was shown on Norwegian TV at the end of January. Like most TV shows in the US, Netflix is merely a broadcaster (in the same as Time Warner might make a show, and have it brodcast on NBC). Clearly thats over simplifying it, but companies will make as many deals as they think they can in order to make as much money as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just watched the first episode, very entertaining, quirky and well written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Any word of this appearing on BBC4 yet? Or has it been shown and I just missed it? Just finishing Season 6 of The Sopranos and need to get my Silvio fix from somewhere else now :D Any sight of it on the Irish Netflix either yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Dman001 wrote: »
    Any word of this appearing on BBC4 yet? Or has it been shown and I just missed it?

No word on it yet but you haven't missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to Season 2.

It says this on the wiki page though :(
    A second season has been commissioned, but due to Van Zandt's ongoing tour with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band it is currently unknown when production will commence.

• Advertisement

Lilyhammer is coming to BBC4 on Tuesday 11th September at 10.00pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/37/Lilyhammer.html

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/lilyhammer-season-1-uk-premiere-on-bbc-4.html

US Netflix customers have had the chance to watch Lilyhammer since February, but now BBC Four is airing the comedy/ drama beginning tomorrow at 10pm. Netflix has renewed the series for a second season, but production is on hold until Steven Van Zandt finishes playing guitar for Bruce Springsteen on his current tour.

Steven Van Zandt (The Sopranos) stars as New York mobster Frank ‘The Fixer’ Tagliano. After testifying against his Mafia boss, Frank enters the Witness Protection Programme and makes an unusual demand: he asks to be set up with his new life in the sleepy Norwegian town Lillehammer, which he fell in love with while watching the 1994 Winter Olympic Games. Thrust into a town that has little crime but a very colourful group of inhabitants, Frank has to confront a totally alien lifestyle.

Richard Klein, Controller BBC Four says: “Lilyhammer mixes sharp wit and American big city ways with the beauty of the Norwegian mountains and folksy nature of a small town - a perfect combination for a razor-sharp drama about cultural mores. I am delighted the BBC Four has acquired this drama and I am sure our viewers are going to have a good time!”

Sue Deeks, BBC’s Head of Programme Acquisition, who secured the deal adds: “Lilyhammer is fresh, funny and offbeat - it makes a highly original addition to BBC Four's rich Scandinavian drama slate.”

Henrik Pabst, Director of International Format Acquisition and Regional Sales Director Scandinavia, Benelux, UK says: “Wow! What a series! First the sale to Netflix and the outstanding launch in Norway – scoring an all-time high for a Norwegian drama series – and now to top it all off it will be airing on the BBC! It’s amazing how this series generated so much buzz so quickly. This demonstrates Lilyhammer’s quality and the appeal of the show’s terrific lead Stevie Van Zandt.”

Lilyhammer is produced by Norwegian production company Rubicon in association with SevenOne International. Directed by Simen Alsvik, Geir Henning Hopland, Lisa Marie Gamlem.

Starring Steven Van Zandt, Marian Saastad Ottesen, Trond Fausa Aurvåg, Kyrre Hellum, Sven Nordin, Anne Krigsvoll, Steinar Sagen. 8 x 45 episodes will feature English subtitles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I do not like subtitles..but I'll stick around for part 2. Sopranos meets Fargo meets well Lillehammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

sky plused it, looking forward to having a look, seems interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Must say I enjoyed the first season of this show. Definitely worth a look for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I enjoyed the first episode, funny, very quirky and classic Van Zandt facial expressions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obviously it would be silly to judge it on the opening episode but the potential is clear to see as "Johnny" gets his claws into the locals one way or another.

"ya Harry Potter fcuk!" :pac: and yes Johnny already seems to have half the town in his thrall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

enjoying this series! correct me if i'm wrong but i could swear i seen an add that it was going to be on BBC HD a while ago. does anyone know if it might be a some point thx? would be nice to see in hd!

sky23 wrote: »
    enjoying this series! correct me if i'm wrong but i could swear i seen an add that it was going to be on BBC HD a while ago. does anyone know if it might be a some point thx? would be nice to see in hd!

There is no mention of it on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00x1c69/episodes/guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Missed the last episode of this series because BBC changed the broadcast time! Did anyone record it?

Season 2 looks great! :P
    Paul Kaye is excellent here!....anyone remember him?....Dennis Pennis :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

mafaa wrote: »

That seems to be the US release date. There seems to be no mention of the UK release date.

I hope that BBC4 show it sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

mafaa wrote: »

Havent gotten around to watching the first season yet, but
    Is that yer man from the BetVictor ads that hits Steve van Zandt & how long did it take after the 1st series to air on BBC4.

Havent gotten around to watching the first season yet,

& how long did it take after the 1st series to air on BBC4.

8 Months.

Premiered in Norway on January 25th 2012 and on BBC4 on September 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

It'll be on Netflix from Dec. 13th, I would expect.

Enjoyed Series 1 so will look forward to this on BBC4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Very original show with great lines and scenes. I had to watch it back a few times as I missed little things - like the child store staff being a couple and the excellent painting :D ..
    Has it won any awards?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I watched the first episode ages ago. It was one of the oddest things I've watched in a while. Funny in parts as he adjusts to the language, and new settings. But frankly, I was a bit perplexed by it, and almost turned it off at one point.

The more I watched the more I liked it, a real grower for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Next Jan/Feb I think

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Does anyone have the last episode of season 1 please? I had recorded all the rest but missed the last one because the BBC changed the broadcast time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

mike65 wrote: »
    Next Jan/Feb I think

Released on Netflix December 13th.

I enjoyed the first season, looking forward to this.

• Advertisement

indeed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Full series is up on netfilx now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

dave1982 wrote: »
    Full series is up on netfilx now

One good reason to join up, but never got around to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Some real comedy gold on this season,I think Silvo's wife from Sopranos is in it and the sopranos theme song is used and the legdend Paulie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

This is a great show, it's well written, funny and has a cool vibe to it. Highly recommended.

is season 2 going to be on bbc four and when?

nice thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Cannot recommend this show enough.. Great script, easy to watch, plenty of laughs and probably the nicest backdrop for any show I've ever seen.

So far Season 2 has been better than the first. When is Season 3 due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Not sure which site I saw it on but there was talk of around December for season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Will will it on on BBC4?

• Advertisement
Advertisement