Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vets are awesome

• 03-01-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

over christmas my big mongrel mucker, who normally sings and shouts his way through the day went off his food and became listless, he was like an old dog (i think he is old but he doesnt act it other than taking long naps when im not there, he's a rescue of sorts so his history/age etc arent known), not leaving my side and looking for head rubs, his tail wagging sadly.

suspecting he's older than he looks, and having a friend's bloodhound deteriorate very quickly from unexplained kidney failure i feared the worst so took him to the vet.

6 days and a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatories later and the big eejit looks to be back, he's eating and intimidating me into walking him again.

(larangitus, farangitus, upset stomach, possibly caused by ginivitus (to be retreated in feb))

fair play to my vet, a bottle of finest irish whiskey will be landing in his door.

no real point to this thread other than a thankyou to all the vets who give a ****.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Wow same thing happened with my cat Xmas day vomiting not eating etc etc had be taken in put on drip today came home from work he'd managed open the bag food all over kitchen floor stuff his face not a bother on him now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah +1! It's SO important to have a vet who cares especially if there's any problems/conditions with your pet - knowing you have the support there if and when you need it takes a lot of the stress away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A good vet is like Gold, hold on to that one. Great your pooch is back in good form, actually brings up the topic of the importance of keeping their teeth and gums healthy because it can lead to other health issues down the line, one of my dogs is more prone she's almost half the age of the collie but if you looked at her teeth you'd think she was older she's more prone to build up of tartar despite giving bones etc. Something to keep an eye on for all pooch owners..and something my own vet nags me about but they're so right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Amazing what vets can do , I recall bringing one of mine who was listless with a nasty cough - within 5 minutes of an injection he was perking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Our vet is useless. You could bring the dog in with a leg missing and she'd just tell you to wash it with Hibiscrub.

Needless to say, we changed vets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

A good vet is like Gold, hold on to that one. Great your pooch is back in good form, actually brings up the topic of the importance of keeping their teeth and gums healthy because it can lead to other health issues down the line, one of my dogs is more prone she's almost half the age of the collie but if you looked at her teeth you'd think she was older she's more prone to build up of tartar despite giving bones etc. Something to keep an eye on for all pooch owners..and something my own vet nags me about but they're so right.

true. his teeth are awful, his breath stinks but it's never caused a problem before. i dont know what sort of diet he was on previously but i dont think it was dog food. he had to have 4 extractions last year and it's looking like more will have to go next month

Advertisement