Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone here work in a professional kitchen

Options
  • 03-01-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone here work in a professional kitchen or restaurant,.. Just have a question for them to help me with an idea! just want to know if a product exists or not!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Why don't you ask your question and both the pros and amateurs can give you the benefit of their wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

it will make me sound like a pure and utter plonker haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Give it a shot. Most of us don't bite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Here it goes haha! :

You know when you are cooking mince and it goes all lumpy, how do you break it into small pieces? with a fish slice?

I have an idea for a tool that is basically six or seven fish slice heads stuck together (like a potato masher) so that it makes the job of breaking the mince up into small pieces six times quicker!

I think it would be very handy for restaurants who are cooking huge amounts of mince.

Some product has to already exist that does this though! Or do people just leave the mince lumpy in lasange's and spaghettis and things? Potato mashers dont work for this as their head is to thick!

Thanks for any replies people,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just usually stand there for ages while it browns, bashing away at it with a wooden spoon. It's very tedious. I hate lumpy mince - I like it very fine. And breaking down supermarket mince is even harder, it's all squiggly.

Come to think of it, there are pastry blenders that would do the job https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&hl=en&q=amazon+uk++pastry+blender&aq=f#pq=amazon+uk++pastry+blender&hl=en&ds=pr&cp=0&gs_id=2l&xhr=t&q=pastry+blender&tok=HryEj1aAngHYKRHowNSZAA&pf=p&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=+pastry+blender&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=2277f6cbf9ed4827&biw=1366&bih=643&bs=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I have to say, I am loving the combination of the topic this thread and your username! Were you inspired while making a huge quantity of taco fries? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

tacofries wrote: »
    Here it goes haha! :
    I have an idea for a tool that is basically six or seven fish slice heads stuck together (like a potato masher) so that it makes the job of breaking the mince up into small pieces six times quicker!

I understand what you are saying. I am not a professional cook/chef but I had this same idea many many years ago whilst digging away with a fish slice. I didn't do anything about production of same yoke 'cos I realised it would be a pain to wash. However, as they went and invented the dish-washer it might be worth looking into now. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Im a chef and yeah it is hard esp if the mince is frozen.wait until its thawed out properly,then cook it.I dont think prof kitchens have time for gagets.everything has to be done fast and only general knives and that are used.

Advertisement