Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good TEFL Teacher and Text books

• 03-01-2012 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am doing some research on EFL. I have alot of experience in Teaching Children and use the Letterland Fix-it-Phonics programme. I am going to be teaching teenagers and adults and am wondering does anybody have much experience of this. I'd love to find a really good programme, some good teacher books and student textbooks.

Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

In my school (secondary) we use the English in Mind books published by Cambridge. They're really good - v.age appropriate for teenagers. Here is a link to their website, it gives you a good idea of what the book is like:

http://www.cambridge.org/ie/elt/catalogue/subject/project/item404369/English-in-Mind/?site_locale=en_IE

They have excellent teacher books as well as Student books and workbooks.

Also you should google some EAL books published by a company called Mary Glasgow. They're fantastic resources.

Penguin do a good series called 'Test your...' for EAL students. There's Test your Reading, Test your Vocabulary, Test your Prepositions etc. All graded.

Some other helpful websites:

www.elsta.ie (English language support teachers association: if you're teaching teenagers in a secondary school they often hold useful workshops/seminars etc.)

www.elsp.ie (a project run by Trinity College which has excellent EAL resources for use in supporting the secondary curriculum)

http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Inclusion/English_as_an_Additional_Language/IILT_Materials/ (resources developed by Integrate Ireland, available on the NCCA website. Suitable for primary and post primary students)

All teenage-orientated resources I'm afraid! But there's a host of websites and stuff online, I've only scratched the surface of it all myself. I'm sure others here will be able to suggest other places to look :)

P.S It goes without saying some of the most useful tools in TEFL are coloured paper, markers, magazines from which you can get photos, conversation starters etc! Creativity, games and anything involving movement, humour or fun are always good. I think one of the best rules of thumb - for teenagers or adults - is to ask yourself if the class activities you are planning are things that you yourself would be happy to participate in if you were a student :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 toolebag

That's great, really helpful.... Thanks for the prompt response!! I am actually teaching in China and finding that they are quite obssessed with having a textbook, I suppose it also give a structureto their learning, they feel at least. So I am working on finding some reasonably priced but practical and useful books.

As you say... the resources available are many! Ah well, it would be worse if there were too few!

Advertisement