Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mysterious Naas-Sallins Shuttle Bus/Naas-Dublin CC in general

Options
  • 03-01-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to Naas in a few weeks and am trying to suss out the public transport situation as I don't drive, although I'll be living with two drivers (but don't want to wreck their heads constantly for lifts)

I work in the city center, and so far, getting the train from Hazelhatch to Heuston has been working pretty well for me for the last year.

I'm just wondering how the shuttle bus for Sallins train station works- is it run by JJ Kavanagh's or is that just a rumour?

Where does it start from and where does it pick up? Are there designated points or if it's driving along and you stick your hand out, will it stop?

Any information would be much appreciated as I can't find any information on this Naas-Sallins shuttle bus at all.

Also- if anyone gets the bus into town from Naas, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on what commuting that way is like as well.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm in Clane and afaik it's definitely JJ Kavanaghs. :) also heard an ad on kfm about a new service running from Naas going straight to the city centre for only a fiver. didn't get the name, but I'll keep an ear for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stories/timetable/Naas-Sallins-Clane.pdf
    Here is the timetable for the naas-sallins-clane bus run by jj.kavanagh's. You'll need adobe reader or similar to view it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The Bus Eireann 126 route is reliable, comfortable, and if you'll be going from the centre of Naas to the centre of Dublin it might suit you best as you won't have to worry about getting to Sallins / getting from Heuston. I know nothing about the shuttle bus to Sallins station, sorry, I do see it doing pickups around the town in the morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The online timetable makes no reference to it, but the printed timetable does.

Check out this link first and then explore. It includes the feeder bus services.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2011/Dublin%20Portlaoise%2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed the rail shuttle bus is entirely different from the JJ Kavanagh service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 coolpaddy

I use the feeder bus for the train station most mornings. It's free of charge and very reliable. I've searched high and low for timetables and bus stops but can't seem to find any. I don't think there are predetermined stops. People often stand on the side of the road outside their house or estate and get picked up. I remember when they first started the service (more than 10 years ago) they had fliers all over the town. The coach is operated by Tom Cross. I don't have his number off hand but he should be it shouldn't be hard to find online. I imagine he'll have more info.The train is very handy for getting to Heuston. The journey takes anywhere from 21-35 minutes and is generally very reliable.The Bus Eireann bus goes from the centre of the town and picks up along the road out of the town. It will drop you off near Ha'penny Bridge afaik. Earlier buses in the morning will bring you to UCD or Stephen's Green.Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Thanks all,

Your responses have been an excellent help so far.

I emailed Bus Eireann but in a typical display of incompetency, they cannot give me a straight answer.

Anyone know, roughly, how much a monthly Dublin-Naas return ticket is?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I know when I inquired last year, it was 37Euro for a weekly return ticket. I think that has gone up though with the budget/VAT increases. That price was from Clane to the city btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

No idea about the cost of a monthly ticket - I believe the weekly ticket from Naas to Dublin is now €38.60 ,but I don't work in Dublin anymore - it's 8.40 a day, of that I'm certain. The timetable for the 126 is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

coolpaddy wrote: »
    I use the feeder bus for the train station most mornings. It's free of charge and very reliable. I've searched high and low for timetables and bus stops but can't seem to find any. I don't think there are predetermined stops. People often stand on the side of the road outside their house or estate and get picked up. I remember when they first started the service (more than 10 years ago) they had fliers all over the town. The coach is operated by Tom Cross. I don't have his number off hand but he should be it shouldn't be hard to find online. I imagine he'll have more info.The train is very handy for getting to Heuston. The journey takes anywhere from 21-35 minutes and is generally very reliable.The Bus Eireann bus goes from the centre of the town and picks up along the road out of the town. It will drop you off near Ha'penny Bridge afaik. Earlier buses in the morning will bring you to UCD or Stephen's Green.Hope this helps.

This is correct, there are several buses used by Tom Cross but the main one is a cream coloured 52 seater or else a white mini-van (should have a sign saying Rail Station Feeder Bus in the front window). The bus goes down through the main town, down the Sallins road and in around Morrell (dunno which estates it goes to before it enters the town). Here's the train timetable with list of shuttle bus times (These times are a little early but take them to be the time the bus will be in the centre of Naas to be sure). http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2009/Dublin%20Portlaoise%2009.pdf#firsthighlight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 doc19827

Im a first time poster and not too sure how this works!!

Just looking for some advice/info with regards to a move to sallins/naas/clane/cellbridge area

Im currently living in and working in dub city center with my partner and newborn baby living at home in Limerick.

We have decided to try and get a home and have been thinking these areas as we rent would appear to be cheaper than Dub and also my partner is not keen on bringing up our child in Dublin city centre(no offence Dubs.

I myself think sallins/ naas area would be perfect as you have the sallins train right into heuston where i can get the 145 practically to my office door.

also it is right off the M7 for our journeys to Limerick at weekends etc

I believe the sallins train service is good??

There isnt much property to rent in sallins at the moment and naas would have more options.

Does anyone know about the bus/shuttle service from naas to sallins?? Is it relaible/expensive??

Also was wondering what clane and cellbridge would be like to live and commute to Dublin...

All tips/advsie would be well recieved.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭thebiglad

From Saggart village you have Luas direct to city centre, also Rathcoole is nearby to Saggart Luas - both also just off N7 but closer to Dublin - more options?

I never even thought of sagart

thanks for that

ill have a look :)

Had a quick look at saggart, mostly apartments so wouldnt suit.

Bit out of our budget for any half decent house too unfortunately

Does anyone know about the bus/shuttle service from naas to sallins?? Is it relaible/expensive??

If you are referring to the rail shuttle, it's free for train passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If you are referring to the rail shuttle, it's free for train passengers.

Is there info on this anywhere. I've seen it most mornings on my way to work but just wondering how frequent etc it is?

Times are listed on the Kildare commuter timetable from Iarnrod Eireann AFAIK

Advertisement