Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 - HTC Titan Feedback?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭

Why is there only 1 windows thread but an Android forum?
    I'm thinking of getting a windows phone but the thread is is very long winded when getting information.
    Would it not be better to start threads for different problems?
    Anyway looking at getting the HTC Titan sim free was looking for advice on it from anyone who has it?
    I've read reviews on line but looking for real users reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Walkman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a windows phone but the thread is is very long winded when getting information.
    Anyway looking at getting the HTC Titan sim free was looking for advice on it from anyone who has it?

That thread just grew, and people posted in it rather than making new threads, its not that all windows phone 7 posts have to be posted in it. Answer on the forum is here

I haven't used the titan so cant help you, but gonna add it to the thread title so you might get better results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Thanks Davy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I had a very quick play with one recently, too quick to have an indepth opinion. All I can really say is that it felt very fast and smooth, very noticeably better than my Omnia 7, which is already a fast smooth phone. The handset itself feels really well built, despite being a good size it feels smaller in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have one, it's a great phone bit on the big side but I don't find it unmanageable, I can mostly manage it with one hand but at times it's too big to properly use one handed IE: pressing the bottom windows buttons. It's got a really good camera but it's kind of hard to differentiate windows phones from each other because of the identical software.

Maybe the Titan is overkill for the basics, but if your planning on playing games a lot or using it for it's camera it's a worthy phone.

Looking for a good camera so that'll be a plus. How's the battery? A friend has the Sensation XL and is always complaining about the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Windows Phone is far better with managing battery life compared with Android

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

simi956 wrote: »
    Windows Phone is far better with managing battery life compared with Android

Amen to that. I had a few times when sometimes was syncing in the background. Managed to get my battery from 100 to 38 in 3 hours without actually doing anything on the phone. Phone got very hot too. Never had that with WP7

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76153347&postcount=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I also have one, an upgrade from a dropped and smashed Optimus 7. I've gotten used to the screen real estate now, and I'd find it hard to go back to something smaller. In short I love it.

Looking for a good camera so that'll be a plus. How's the battery? A friend has the Sensation XL and is always complaining about the battery
    Battery a big improvement on the HD7 at least, I could get a day at best out of that phone. Can get between 2 and 5 days out of this phones battery even despite it's size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I have had a HTC Titan now for about 4 weeks and will give you my thoughts on the phone.

The Titan is my 3rd Smartphone. 1st was iPhone 3gs and 2nd was the HTC Desire HD (Android)

This is my 1st Windows phone and although the HD2 received negative feedback, my hands on test in the shop coupled with good reviews online, I decided to give it a whirl.

First Impressions:
    To be honest, incredible. The phone is BIG - But compared to the Sensation or Galaxy S2, not that big. Its smooth as silk when navigating and is very responsive, no lag to date.

It did take a little getting used to after the Desire HD as functionality is a little limited in comparison. Android phones are very customisable while the windows phone is more of a take it as it is typre of device.

I have a work outlook account, Gmail account, X-Box 360, Hotmail account and a host of social network accounts. Within minutes of turning on the phone, I was set up and mobile with all of them - Very easy and intuitive.

Camera is great... Previous Smartphones I have used boasted great camera's but ultimately failed as the lense cover was plastic which made photos grainy. The Titan's lense cover is glass meaning that the pictures are crisp and sharp (day or night) and the host of effect and shot options make this as good as any stand alone camera can offer.

Internet is very responsive but it does take a little getting used to the address bar being at the bottom of the screen rather that the top (I guess this was done to make it easier to type and navigate one handed)

Downside :

The app store is barely a notch above non existant. Yes, the basic Facebooks and twitters are there but thats about it. Obviously this is going to change very soon as Nokia have done a huge deal with MS and with the imminent launch of the Lumia handsets in Ireland, developers will be a little quicker to get the thumb out when developing apps for the handset.

Overall...

Awesome phone, big, responsive, and attractive. Give it a go, you wont be dissappointed.

Downside :

The app store is barely a notch above non existant. Yes, the basic Facebooks and twitters are there but thats about it. Obviously this is going to change very soon as Nokia have done a huge deal with MS and with the imminent launch of the Lumia handsets in Ireland, developers will be a little quicker to get the thumb out when developing apps for the handset.

Overall...

Awesome phone, big, responsive, and attractive. Give it a go, you wont be dissappointed.

Regarding the marketplace theres around 50k apps to date. Its quite a lot. But really the only ones your going to be missing for a while will be Irish Apps.

So far theres a few devs here from boards that have made irish train times or irish web texting applications. A few more Irish devs seem to be coming on board with the Launch of WP7.5 . So i expect when the official launch of WP7 Nokia in Ireland comes out there will be a boost of those coming in.

Other than that as far as i have search i could find nearly every app i wanted.

Best place to see for stuff is www.windowsphone.com it gives ya demos, features and you can search the marketplace yourselfs for apps that you think you might need. It has an online marketplace so you can see all the apps that are available.

My most favorite thing about WP7 is metro design anyway. Its nice and clean and alot quick to get things done than on the likes of Android or iPhone

Thanks guys for the reviews, does anyone know if Vodafone on Grafton St have s live one. Want to have a play before I order it sim free.

Thanks guys for the reviews, does anyone know if Vodafone on Grafton St have s live one. Want to have a play before I order it sim free.

I doubt it. The only live models i know is the Omnia 7 in three shop and and optimus 7 in carphone warehouse in henry st. The HTC Radar in meteors shop is locked out for atleast 20 years lol

Their the only live dummys i know that were around. But even those are running 7.0 WP7 build. So no mango love :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Yes I played around with the Titan in the Pavillons? If only dummy phone on display just ask at the counter

I doubt it. The only live models i know is the Omnia 7 in three shop and and optimus 7 in carphone warehouse in henry st. The HTC Radar in meteors shop is locked out for atleast 20 years lol

Their the only live dummys i know that were around. But even those are running 7.0 WP7 build. So no mango love :(

As far as I know, HTC no longer lock or allow their phones to be locked to any network...

As far as I know, HTC no longer lock or allow their phones to be locked to any network...

HTC never locks their phones or any other oem for that matter.

Its the carriers that do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its a plastic chassis with non gorilla glass. I wonder how much abuse it will stand up to.

BostonB wrote: »
    Its a plastic chassis with non gorilla glass. I wonder how much abuse it will stand up to.
    Surprisingly well, I've dropped mine 3 times now, twice from table height and once from bed height. On two occasions the innards popped out of the case but phone still worked and is only noticeably damaged on one corner but it's a very minor scrape.

HTC never locks their phones or any other oem for that matter.

Its the carriers that do

Well, all HTC phones on the Vodafone Network are not locked. I had a Desire HD and put a meteor SIM into it and it worked fine. (Phone was bought brand new from VF)

I was told this by someone else on VF too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement