Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get this ?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

Lads can I get one of these stocks for my Maverick and not have it classed as a restricted firearm ?
    Link
    pix699955215.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

yes you can, unless you are some kind of a serial criminal

why do you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thumbhole stocks are not restricted, Pistol grips on shotguns are.
    The pistol grip makes them MUCH more dangerous....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

SI 21/2008 states any shotgun with a folding, telescopic or pistol grip stock is a restricted firearm.

The stock in the picture is not a true pistol grip, and is actually a thumbhole.

either way, restricted or non restricted, you could still get it just a matter of whether the Gardai deem it restricted or not, and hence you have to deal with the Super or Chief Super.

My own opinion would be its a non-restricted upgrade. However thats my opinion, not law.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    yes you can, unless you are some kind of a cereal criminal
    Tank you to one and all for your feed back,
    As for the question on me being a 'Cereal Criminal', it was just the one box of weetabix and those that were there will never talk ! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Why would the pistol grip be more dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

From the Garda Commissioners Guidelines:

Shotguns
    Shotguns for clay pigeon competitions are generally double-barrelled and of 12 gauge. Pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns are sometimes used in local or parish competitions; however shotguns which have prominent pistol grips or folding or telescopic stocks or a magazine capacity which allows more than three (3) cartridges to be loaded in the shotgun are more dangerous and are no more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cos you can hide it in your trenchcoat like a gangster when you go to pop a cap in someones ass! Another one of the "Idontlikethelookofthat" firearms:rollseyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

You clearly didn't see the damage the Terminator caused in that nightclub with one :rolleyes:

Longranger wrote: »
    the "Idontlikethelookofthat" firearms;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

whydave wrote: »
    Lads can I get one of these stocks for my Maverick and not have it classed as a restricted firearm ?
    Link
    pix699955215.jpg

can i ask how much and where you can get this stock i also have a maverick 88 and would consider one

• Advertisement

czgalway wrote: »
    can i ask how much and where you can get this stock i also have a maverick 88 and would consider one
    just askin the question, will now start lookin (gunbroker.com , etc)

David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I think a pistol grip would be very comfortable to shoot that stock looks very comfortable also and it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

rgugliel wrote: »
    You clearly didn't see the damage the Terminator caused in that nightclub with one :rolleyes:

No wait...It couldnt be... Two pistol gripped guns...and you would need Schwarzneggers arms strength to fire them single handledy....:eek:,Somone in the PTB saw a complete science fiction film ,and decided that this is reality???
    Now I've got it!! The PTB and AGS actually DO KNOW that time displacement does work,and are worried that a cyborg will come back from the future to hunt down the future leader of Ireland,who will get us out of this mess in the EU!:eek:.So they have foiled this drastdly plan by restricting certain types of shotgun stocks!!!:D:D:D:D.
    A crafty plan indeed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It doesnt..It makes the gun inherently more inaccruate, past all of 25 feet as you are now trying to aim[very wobblyly]a very large piece of gun with a cartridge that was never intended to be fired in a pistol type firearm.
    I had one of these years ago in CA,...
    You cant shoot it with a double handed grip on the pistol grip as the gun is too unbalanced.So you have to ram it out away from your body locking your trigger finger arm rigid and keeping the pump action arm fluid.End effect is your whole body and shooting stance is horribly exposed and hands are prone to some pretty vicious recoil,[try it with 3in magnums!:eek:]as most of these pistol grips are way too thin to handle a12 GA recoil and bite you in the web of your hand.As the pump grip is a cylinder your hand cant get a serious grip and the recoil will somtimes break your grip on the pump mechanism.After going tru a dozen different types of stocks ,folding,top,side and stockless pistol grips,The only ones that were comfortable to shoot were what looked like copies off the old Thompson SMG.However accruacy was still a problem,and I even had use of one of the 2nd Gen lazers[The exact type one that Schwarznegger had on the pistol in the Terminator film,was about 2000 dollars at the time for this thing.:eek:]That was a joke in bright Californian sunshine,ok at night and average indoors.:(
    Only advantage to one of these pistol gripped only guns is it makes it shorter.Accruacy goes out the door with them,and seeing that we cant have any barrel shorter than 24ins,without major good reason ,it really is pointless here.IF you had a 18 [still quite alot of barrel]or 12 in or less shotgun barrel and were fighting in a ships corridor or the door breacher man on a SWAT team.
    You could use it,otherwise I'd encourage every criminal to go and buy one!! You wont hit the side of the barn past 30 feet with one.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I'd encourage every criminal to go and buy one!! You wont hit the side of the barn past 30 feet with one.:rolleyes:
    True, but the AGS's point of view as I understood it is that if they're stolen and used to rob a post office, the pistol-grip-only style of stock with a sawn-off barrel is very easy to conceal and will be used at a range of less than five feet. I don't particularly think they've done a good job of risk assessment, but there is an element of logic in there.

However, all of this is wandering away from helping the OP, so let's park it there, shall we?

Sparks wrote: »
    True, but the AGS's point of view as I understood it is that if they're stolen and used to rob a post office, the pistol-grip-only style of stock with a sawn-off barrel is very easy to conceal and will be used at a range of less than five feet. I don't particularly think they've done a good job of risk assessment, but there is an element of logic in there.

Indeed,and I'll leave it with the final thought.Hacksaw engineering.:)

Advertisement