Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montessori course?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a Montessori qualification, but am not too sure if it's worth it & where to start? I am looking for some opinion from experience :)

- which course would you recommend, or maybe are there any that you would not recommend? From what I have seen on-line so far, these are quite pricey, and most of them are full time. Do you happen to know of any alternatives?
    - if you are a Montessori teacher yourself - do you enjoy it? I know the question might sound silly, but I am simply looking for an honest opinion on how the job works here in Ireland...

I will appreciate any feedback or suggestions, especially the ones related to good & recommended courses.

Many thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you mean as a primary teacher or pre-school?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

To be perfectly honest, I guess I would prefer primary teacher, but am not sure if I would be able to do that (do you need Irish for primary? I am not Irish and do not speak or know it :( )...

Which one do you know more about? Or maybe can you advise me towards one of them more?

After having a few glimpses at the current market demand, it seems that getting a preschool job is a bit easier, or is it just an impression?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you do not have Irish, you might do better to stick to pre-school. Primary jobs are in huge demand and there a lot of long term unemployment in the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would first recommend some work experience in a Montessori classroom to make sure you like the method and classroom setting. I did my course with the Montessori Education Centre on North Great Georges Street, but had a lot of experience before doing it, which helped a lot with the practical work.

Make sure you are doing a FETAC level six approved course as this is needed for the ECCE scheme (the preschool free scheme) and get your work experience with a PROPER Montessori, lots call themselves that but are glorified play schools.

Thank you very much for the valid advice. Good point with the work experience. Will need to look into that... The only problem is - once you work full time, it's hard to find the courage to drop it all and start from scratch...

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    get your work experience with a PROPER Montessori, lots call themselves that but are glorified play schools.

I see your point fully. I have heard of that before. Any recommendations? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you ask any child care college offering Montessori they will have an approved list of schools they recommend, a lot of courses will specify work experience as an essential requirement of the course. Montessori has a specific set of materials and is a distinct philosophy which is not for everyone. I would also recommend reading The Secret of Childhood by Montessori and any of the Paula Polk Lillard books for general information.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

Hi im a sixth year student and i am hoping to study Early Childhood Care and Education in September:D in college.. Does this course give you the qualification to become a Montessori teacher???? any advise would be helpful :confused::)

Advertisement