Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Owned IT equipment from us

Options
  • 03-01-2012 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Guys, Have noticed a price difference on apple products macs etc between here and the states if I import one will I get hit with a customs charge? What figures do they use for second hand IT equipment. Margin could be wiped out by customs charges. But I would like to see if there is a possible avenue to be explored. Interested to here if anyone has imported pre owned equipment from US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

On new Macs the difference between U.S. prices and Irish prices is simply VAT. There may be a slight exchange rate discrepancy. You will be charged VAT on imported kit, even 2nd hand, and shipping would almost certainly wipe out any potential saving, unless the stuff is dirt cheap over there.

Customs take the stated value of the goods and add on VAT at 23%. If they feel that the stated value is lower than it should be, they "pick a number" and calculate VAT on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're looking for Mac hardware the refurbs are very good value
    You'll also find that their business team can give you discounts on some items - you might not get a big discount on hardware, but a discount on some software can offset the cost of an upgrade :)

Advertisement