Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitcase or Backpack??

Options
  • 03-01-2012 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Moving to Australia next month for year for travel and work, just wondering should I bring a suitcase or get a big backpack. I've 20 days in Thailand before getting to Sydney so obviously a suitcase wouldn't be the best for there but living out of a backpack for a year in Australia doesn't appeal to me either.

Just wondering what everyone has brought when they've went and any advice would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Bring a decent backpack they are much better suited to changing travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

OP, I am the same, off next month and this debate is running around my head also.

In 2008, I did 3 months in Thailand and had a large rucksack with me - was perfect! Dragging it on/off boats, across beaches, tuk tuks etc.

However, with that in mind, I am not sure how I would feel living out of a rucksack in OZ. I have 3 weeks in Thailand so would be ideal for there, but OZ, I don't know. There is a lot of gear to get in and would a rucksack fit it all?

I read a post on here the other day of a member saying they used a rucksack and then An Post to ship over any gear they couldn't fit with them. Took it two weeks to arrive in Oz.

I think this is the option I may use. Use the rucksack again and then ship over the suits/shoes/hoodies etc once settled into an apartment in Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Got one of these for christmas. talk about the mother dropping hints.

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/trekking_+_travel/all_trekking_+_travel/deuter_traveller_80+10/116/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnnyBomb

Cheers lads for the replys! Looking into it an 80 litre seems the best because i dont plan on being in the same city for too long. Just hope now it wont be too big and heavy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnnyBomb

master-t wrote: »
    I think this is the option I may use. Use the rucksack again and then ship over the suits/shoes/hoodies etc once settled into an apartment in Melbourne.

Would that not be very expensive though to post over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Went with a 120, my mates 80 was puny and pretty funny tbh.

My 120 was perfect fitted everything fine, had space to pull stuff out had access holes and wasnt in anyway cumbersome.

why limit yourself? I got an 80 as a gift and brought it back and traded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

what size would one suggest for puney little girls like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Noo wrote: »
    what size would one suggest for puney little girls like myself?
    Backpack for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

Does anyone know the sort of prices it costs to send stuff over with An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

katie21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the sort of prices it costs to send stuff over with An Post?

Seriously? 5 sec google 'an post rates' http://postage.anpost.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

listermint wrote: »

My 120 was perfect fitted everything fine, had space to pull stuff out had access holes and wasnt in anyway cumbersome.

A 120 litre is massive. You will have your back broken. Nothing funnier than seeing backpackers with a massive backpack and a few other bags hanging off them while going about the place. I tavelled with a 75lt backpack for 3 months and it was plenty. Still have it and intend to use it again for Africa in April. My other half had a 60 lt. A number of years previous she had a 100 lt and it almost killed her. No need for anything above 80 imo. 50-80 should do for everyone apart from hipsters that want to bring lots of **** they dont need.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

listermint wrote: »

120 :eek::eek::eek:
    I had a 55 +10 day pack for the past year. Still didn't use most of the stuff. Remember no matter the size of the bag, you will fill it. My 55l when full weighed 19kg, I would hate to think what a 120 would weigh and carrying it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Daisies wrote: »
    120 :eek::eek::eek:
    I had a 55 +10 day pack for the past year. Still didn't use most of the stuff. Remember no matter the size of the bag, you will fill it. My 55l when full weighed 19kg, I would hate to think what a 120 would weigh and carrying it.

When we moved from NZ to OZ two years ago we got one of these.
    http://www.mountaindesigns.com/online-store/products/Expedition-Duffle-140L.aspx?prodID=12524

This was entirely to move out bits and peices as we were in NZ for a good bit and was taking up a 4 year sponsorship in Sydney. It was like we were moving house. We packed in pretty much everything we need into that bag, Weighed a ton as well. Think there was one box that we brought over with us as well.

When we went home to Ireland two years ago to visit for 2 weeks we took that bag with us. Dont think we checked in another bag. It was half empty and that was for two of us!

120lt for one person ...backpacking. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

For a female backpacker, don't get anything heavier than a 70L.
    I'm 5' 6' and it was just bearable for me to carry along with a light day pack. Plus make sure to get one that zips all around rather than one than opens only at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AndroidUser127

I suppose it depends on how much you need to take and how strong you are !! Backpacks tend to be lighter so you can carry more whereas suitcase tends to have roller wheels which increase to the weight of the suitcase meaning you have to pack less. Check out Suitcase Reviews and click on the handheld section they have reviewed 3 maybe 4 suitcases which i think you should look at !! :)

Advertisement