Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Kelly?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Terrible to hear that he's been dropped from the panal!
    Hopefully he'll work his way back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well he intends to. Gonna continue to train with the squad etc.
    The lad was a wasted talent imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Terrible to hear that he's been dropped from the panal!
    Hopefully he'll work his way back.
    Ive always got the impression that he has a terrible attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If he could stay away from the drink he would be grand, unfortunately he cant.......

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Going by the statement on RTE. The management havent shut the door completely, saying that players can be added to the panel if they impress in club games. I hope Eoin can rise to the challenge and get back on the field to show us the skills and thrills he has done previously over the years.

I think he'd be the first to admit the last couple of years havent been the best for him. But this could be the motivation he needs. At the age of 29 I'm sure he has more to offer, its up to him now to show he can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It really is some fall for him to have come to the point of being dropped. He's a terrific hurler when he's putting the work in and concentrating but, as Kev said, he's not been at the races fir a few seasons now. I really hope this gives him a push and he can force his way back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

i thought gaa players were allowed a winter break?? if so, then why would anyone test the fitness of a player in december (or even in october) ???
    We have NEVER seen an unfit or overweight eoin kelly take to the pitch for waterford!! this was just an excuse by ml ryan to ditch eoin kelly and replace him with sub-standard hurlers/footballers from his own club!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

i thought gaa players were allowed a winter break?? if so, then why would anyone test the fitness of a player in december (or even in october) ???
    We have NEVER seen an unfit or overweight eoin kelly take to the pitch for waterford!! this was just an excuse by ml ryan to ditch eoin kelly and replace him with sub-standard hurlers/footballers from his own club!!

Intercounty GAA teams are not allowed to hold collective training in November and December. Players are free to train on their own, and the vast majority of them do so. This normally involves a fair bit of work in the gym.

If you have watched Waterford play in the the last 1-2 seasons you would have seen an unfit Eoin Kelly plenty of times. In this period he has been consistently a yard off the pace, and well away from the level he was at say five years ago.

I haven't seen a panel, and there may be players there who are inferior to Kelly. However, it is very difficult to accomodate a player who has won two All Stars but isn't likely to get much game time. Such a player often will understandibly become impatient and eventually disruptive.

Pop over to the GAA forum some time for more insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crackinthewall

there is no doubt that the lad has talent but its his attitude thats the problem.... the question has to be asked what does he bring to the development of young hurlers like o'mahony. from the outside it seems that when certain players that have represented the county get to a certain age the get sour when they dont get their own way. it has happened in waterford in the very recent past.
    Do waterford need him for his free taking. surely o'mahony has taken on that responsibility now. do waterford need him for the goals he used to score. i think shane walsh and mullane has eclipsed him on that front. again the question is what does he have to offer? the new manager has to start somewhere, there are a number of others that could go by the wayside also. interesting times ahead from that county panel

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

hes just not good enough anymore,,so lets just move on with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

this could be the kick in the arse he needs imo- some individuals think they are bigger than the team and how better to react to that than taking them off the panel.

he's only 29 so still has a few years in him to turn around his fitness/attitude issues and prove us all wrong.i think now and only now does kelly know exactly whats required of him and only he can decide how to respond,lets just hope its the more positive approach he takes.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

daaave wrote: »
    this could be the kick in the arse he needs imo- some individuals think they are bigger than the team and how better to react to that than taking them off the panel.

he's only 29 so still has a few years in him to turn around his fitness/attitude issues and prove us all wrong.i think now and only now does kelly know exactly whats required of him and only he can decide how to respond,lets just hope its the more positive approach he takes.....

Only one getting the kick in the ass is the fans...

Ryan stupidly trying the same thing Davy and Fanning in Mount Sion tried and both failed. Mount Sion still haven't fully recovered from losing Kelly and Kelly didn't try an inch under Davy.

Kelly won't be back on his own steam as he's the type of Guy who don't give a toss about Managers and Rules..

Former C.B. Chairman Pat Flynn should step in now and try negotiate a truce before it's to late and that will be the end of one of the most naturally gifted players ever to play for Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Whats the big deal? Every player should have to fight tooth and nail to make his place on the team. If any player gets left off the panel then it should be the alarm bell to get the finger out. The team (any team) should be bigger than any one player irrespective of what they did in the past. The past is gone.

This chap is only 29, surely he is hungry enough and talented enough (goes without saying) to regain his place for many years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

29 is ancient for a player with his (lack of) fitness. Dunno why people keep saying he's "only" 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I'd pick a naturally talented hurler semi-fit over a fit average hurler any day..

20 players on the panel are average hurlers and need to be at peak fitness to survive.. Kelly could have 10 pints and 20 fags the night before a game and would still be better then at least 20 on that panel.

Giving him grief over fitness in January is a futile exercise..

29 is ancient for a player with his (lack of) fitness. Dunno why people keep saying he's "only" 29.

Sure 29 is but a chap, plenty of life in him yet, refer to legend that is Tony Browne or see below

A 100-year-old Briton has become the world's oldest marathon runner after finishing a race in Canada.
    Fauja Singh, from Ilford, east London, ran the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in eight hours, 25 minutes and 16 seconds.
    The record-holder "hit the wall" at 22 miles but soldiered on for another two hours and finished in 3,850th place, ahead of five other competitors.
    Mr Singh, who took up running 11 years ago after his wife and son died, trains every day by running 10 miles.

Funfair wrote: »
    I'd pick a naturally talented hurler semi-fit over a fit average hurler any day

20 players on the panel are average hurlers and need to be at peak fitness to survive..

Kelly could have 10 pints and 20 fags the night before a game and would still be better then at least 20 on that panel.

Giving him grief over fitness in January is a futile exercise..

Maybe this is why the Liam McCarthy cup eludes us, we have at least 20 average players on the panel and it is ok for Kelly to have 10 pints and 20 fags the night before a game. I wonder what would Brian Cody or Roy Keane think. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I knew him from me local a few years ago. Poor fella thinks he was a Hollywood star. His brother is sound.

I think at the end of the day we all hope that Eoin makes his way back onto the panel, he is one of the countries most talented hurlers over the last number of years and is an asset to the panel.

I don't know the chap but I personally wish him the best of luck in his efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I think at the end of the day we all hope that Eoin makes his way back onto the panel, he is one of the countries most talented hurlers over the last number of years and is an asset to the panel.

I don't know the chap but I personally wish him the best of luck in his efforts.

Asset my hole. He didn't train as per the programme that he was given in October and has been released from the panel on those grounds. If he is not going to put the effort in on his own, he will do nothing but disrupt the preparations of the 40+ other players who are putting in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Wake up lads!!!!! Eoin kelly was shafted by Ryan and his co-selectors because they wanted to settle old scores from the Justin McCarthy era, when both ryan and cashin were selectors. The other selector hails from Mount Sion--the club that kelly left to join passge. JOIN THE DOTS!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Wake up lads!!!!! Eoin kelly was shafted by Ryan and his co-selectors because they wanted to settle old scores from the Justin McCarthy era, when both ryan and cashin were selectors. The other selector hails from Mount Sion--the club that kelly left to join passge. JOIN THE DOTS!!!!!!

Just woke up, Eoin Kelly is the best hurler ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

totally agree, kelly was shafted by these shower of monkeys who know fcuk all about hurling,
    it was the same when that little bollox from claire took over when he shafted paul flynn,
    in my opinion, flynny had another good year left in him at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

It don't matter lads it will be the dubs for Liam this year:D

DublinHurlersOpen.gif

but at least it will be ALL blue...............:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

totally agree, kelly was shafted by these shower of monkeys who know fcuk all about hurling,
    it was the same when that little bollox from claire took over when he shafted paul flynn,
    in my opinion, flynny had another good year left in him at that time.

Know nothing about hurling?

Ryan is one of the best coaches in the game.

He brought De La Salle to a Munster club, beating a fancied Thurles Sars team which contained two of the best hurlers from the last 10 years in Lar Corbett and Paudie Maher.

If he failed a fitness test, how the hell was he shafted?

Waterford will be stronger for dropping Kelly this year. Ye'll still win feck all, but ye'll improve on last year :)

Roanmore wrote: »
    Just woke up, Eoin Kelly is the best hurler ever!!!

6b9_10239_6260378.jpeg
    I'd agree ;)

P.s. I heard that there's an Eoin Kelly now playing with the Kerry hurlers too. Every county needs one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

He's not as bad as that out and out scumbag. Can't think of his name. Mullane. Poor Ginger prick thinks he's a superstar. I can't wait for that little prick to get busted on the pitch and I would have no sympathy for him.?
    Fooking scumbag. Well he more a wannabe scumbag. Lads I despise that prick. Will never support the Deise with him playing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

He's not as bad as that out and out scumbag. Can't think of his name. Mullane. Poor Ginger prick thinks he's a superstar. I can't wait for that little prick to get busted on the pitch and I would have no sympathy for him.?
    Fooking scumbag. Well he more a wannabe scumbag. Lads I despise that prick. Will never support the Deise with him playing for them.

Go on Seany Bhoy!!!!!!

seanybiker wrote: »
    From play, Mullane is the top scorer of the last 25 years. This at a time when Waterford haven't exactly being winning All Irelands to beat the band like Shefflin for example. He's a great hurler.

I've heard a few stories about his younger days alright and some of his off-pitch (and even on-pitch) antics and they leave a lot to be desired but he's one of the best scorers to play the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

seanybiker wrote: »

Your on your own there. The roar Mullane gets from the waterford support when he has the ball is somethin to behold. Round these parts he is a superstar, the man would give his life for the jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Kelly has been an average player at best in the last 3-4 years. No loss to the panel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement