Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we follow the Germans? Germany's unemployment rate at record low in December

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

*goosesteps*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Gott ist tot :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yay someone understands the difference between our economies...

erm.... not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

alex73 wrote: »
    They must be doing something right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16390429

The secret is that the Germans generally have a systemic approach of frugality and live within their means. There is a disciplined approach towards spending - at governmental,firm and household levels.

It will be very difficult to follow the Germans as you say without a fundamental change or revision of how the economy is been run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Pete M. wrote: »
    Gott ist tot :cool:
    Nietzsche ist tot
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

Achtung Baby :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Next summer, we'll also invade Poland.

So, eh, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Let's all get a clock that displays Berlin time so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah sure why now, lets cut the unemployment rate to 0.00001%. Why didn't we think of this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Eins Zwei Polizei

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

So, eh, sure.

And after that the oilfields er football grounds of Ukraine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They also had the lowest European unemployment rate between 1939 and 1945.

History may only be repeating itself. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Alex if Germany jumped in the liffey would you jump in after them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Of course we should, we as a people are incapable of electing the right people to government positions, we should really just give up the autonomy and have the Germans take over, they're not complete idiots...that or Michael O Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Economy: The German economy - the fifth largest economy in the world in PPP terms and Europe's largest - is a leading exporter of machinery, vehicles, chemicals, and household equipment and benefits from a highly skilled labor force.

Industries: Among the world's largest and most technologically advanced producers of iron, steel, coal, cement, chemicals, machinery, vehicles, machine tools, electronics, food and beverages, shipbuilding, textiles

Geography: Strategic location on North European Plain and along the entrance to the Baltic Sea

Natural resources: Coal, lignite, natural gas, iron ore, copper, nickel, uranium, potash, salt, construction materials, timber, arable land.

Source

Ireland =/= Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Uh huh. We elect the wrong people. We'll continue to do so. We also have no judicial system.

Can't think of what Merkel would have done with the staff of Anglo, the regulator, or the staff of the central bank during 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Alex if Germany jumped in the liffey would you jump in after them?

No.

They'd be up far too early.

Veles wrote: »
    Grass is always greener so they say..have any of ye spent any meaningful time there?

No. Give of your wisdom.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Can't think of what Merkel would have done with the staff of Anglo, the regulator, or the staff of the central bank during 2008.

Dunno either but it might have been a gas to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Dotrel wrote: »
    Eins Zwei Polizei

Drei Vier Grenadier
    Funf Sechs Alte Hex
    Sieben Acht Gute Nacht.............

Ja Ja Ja Was ist los? Was ist das?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The average German has put with austerity budgets since reunification.

Food for thought for the Shinners amongst us. Economies of scale me arse!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So, eh, sure.

There should be a tanks button for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Veles wrote: »
    Grass is always greener so they say..have any of ye spent any meaningful time there?

How long is meaningful, oh Seer of the east?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sure they might be good with their money but they prob never get a round in - no thanks!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There should be a tanks button for this.

Looks to me like you're just panzering to popular opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

grizzly wrote: »
    How long is meaningful, oh Seer of the east?

The exact length of time he spent there drinking in the Irish bar with his Irish friends. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Last time i followed a german, i ended up in jail, apparently stalking is a crime now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dotrel wrote: »
    Looks to me like you're just panzering to popular opinion.

Steady on there Tiger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Of course we should, we as a people are incapable of electing the right people to government positions, we should really just give up the autonomy and have the Germans take over, they're not complete idiots...that or Michael O Leary.

Imagine the hospitals under O'Leary.

'Would you like to add anaesthetic for €4000 extra?'

Imagine the hospitals under O'Leary.

'Would you like to add anaesthetic for €4000 extra?'

...and excess colostomy baggage charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

KINGVictor wrote: »
    The secret is that the Germans generally have a systemic approach of frugality and live within their means. There is a disciplined approach towards spending - at governmental,firm and household levels.
    Their constitution means they aren't allowed to run up big debts nationally, but at the local authority level lots of areas in Germany are deep in hock and finding it hard to finance operations, last I heard. No idea about domestically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It will be very difficult to follow the Germans as you say without a fundamental change or revision of how the economy is been run.

So your saying they are miserable shower of ****ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Germany had a tax decrease planned and the German public stood up and protested against it as they'd rather pay their debts, even during relatively stable times, than have more money. Somehow I don't seem to remember the Irish public, who are now complaining about how unfair the dole system is, giving a crap about the fact that it's half of government expenditure and is being distributed unfairly during the Celtic Tiger when they had jobs and didn't care what the government was spending it's money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If the Germans tried their global domination trick again I don't think I'd oppose them, it'd probably be for the best in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That's grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Found out last week they fiddle their figure's like every other country.My brother-in law (hes german) told me that they do'nt include anyone who's over two years unemployed,in their unemployed figures.They are reclassified.Go figure:confused:

Mercedes alone take on 2000,every year.But when their apprenticeship ends , do mercedes employ them?.

..which they'd stick in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

I can't understand this catchphrase of "Michael O'Leary should run X" that's doing the rounds lately. Ryanair is a shambles of an airline, it only gets away with it because it's as cheap as dirt to use it. And on top of that he's a very unpleasant human being.

I wouldn't put him in charge of a chip pan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They even have laws for purity of beer

Here I am sipping Lidl's Finkbrau and the label informs this passes the law

The German are the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Found out last week they fiddle their figure's like every other country.My brother-in law (hes german) told me that they do'nt include anyone who's over two years unemployed,in their unemployed figures.They are reclassified.Go figure:confused:

I'm pretty sure their labour force participation rate is similar to other Western countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It has been low since 2007 but I wonder what happened between 2005 and 2007? If you put Ireland in this graph you see the exact opposite for us. But even when we were importing hundreds of thousands of workers from abroad we still had 5% unemployment which makes me think our current real rate is around 10%. We can probably expect the next wave of Germans coming here to get away from it all and live in the back of beyond making cheese.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=gm&v=74

I can't understand this catchphrase of "Michael O'Leary should run X" that's doing the rounds lately. Ryanair is a shambles of an airline, it only gets away with it because it's as cheap as dirt to use it. And on top of that he's a very unpleasant human being.

I wouldn't put him in charge of a chip pan.
    How so, its profitable, its effective, and its one of the few success stories to stand out in the global downturn. Maybe they don't wipe your nose for you but if you want to get from a to b they get you there. And its not like any of the others are particularly amazing in terms of service either. I admire O'Leary for his ability to turn any boring meeting or press conference into a circus with himself as the ringmaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So, eh, sure.
    You do something one time and you never hear the end of it... jeez.

ScumLord wrote: »
    If the Germans tried their global domination trick again I don't think I'd oppose them, it'd probably be for the best in the long run.
    Unless you were Jewish.

Ooooooh, low blow. *winces*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Do you think the Germans would have welcomed negative equity loans or spent ages dithering about whether or not to close our embassy to the Catholic religions main clubhouse? We're a long way from Germany.

They do deduct a tithe directly from your wages for the catholic church if you're a registered Catholic though, a policy which dates back to the nazi regime.

Thanks for funding that crowd, Germany. Our children thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    They do deduct a tithe directly from your wages for the catholic church if you're a registered Catholic though, a policy which dates back to the nazi regime.

Thanks for funding that crowd, Germany. Our children thank you.

Its all for all churches though, isn't it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Plus, the Germans adopted this really novel approach in the face of possible recession and created jobs and stimulated new industry.

It's not something we seem to want to try here though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement