Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving to Uk in 2 weeks with own car, do i need to tell ins company?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Im moving to the UK in two weeks and i am bringing my own car. I will need cover for 33-34 days, (insurance policy says 31days ) to enable me to bring the car back to ireland after a month, where i already have it sold ( dont want the hassle of registering an irish car over there, just easier to buy one).

I am wondering do i have to give the insurance company (AXA) specific dates which im leaving, or could i chance going over, waiting a few days, and then teling them? have they any other ways of finding out this information?

Regards Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Moving2UK wrote: »
    Hi,

Im moving to the UK in two weeks and i am bringing my own car. I will need cover for 33-34 days, (insurance policy says 31days ) to enable me to bring the car back to ireland after a month, where i already have it sold ( dont want the hassle of registering an irish car over there, just easier to buy one).

I am wondering do i have to give the insurance company (AXA) specific dates which im leaving, or could i chance going over, waiting a few days, and then teling them? have they any other ways of finding out this information?

Regards Baz

What kind of cover do you have?

Your third party cover will be valid anyway, as there can't be any time limit by law.
    Only your fire, theft, and own car damage cover might be affected if you exceed 31 day limit.
    So after 34 days you will stay road legal anyway. It's just your car that won't be covered anymore.

PS. I don't think they will required exact dates when you go, but in case of an accident abroad and claim, they will surely ask for your ferry tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moving2UK

Cheers CiniO, I only have TPFT anyways on the car so it doesn't bother me, is there any simple way of proving to Police if stopped that i am actually covered by 3rd party if i am unlucky enough to have an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Moving2UK wrote: »
    Cheers CiniO, I only have TPFT anyways on the car so it doesn't bother me, is there any simple way of proving to Police if stopped that i am actually covered by 3rd party if i am unlucky enough to have an accident?

Make sure you carry car VLC, ins cert and licence with you, and you should be fine. Oh, and, NCT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

galwaytt wrote: »
    Make sure you carry car VLC, ins cert and licence with you, and you should be fine. Oh, and, NCT.

I remember reading some time ago somewhere on europa.eu website, that carrying insurance certificate while driving abroad is not necessery, as a registration plate should be a proof that car is insured.
    However it seems a bit nonsence for me, and as I'm driving abroad for last few weeks I always carry my licence, VRC and insurance cert.
    I assume NCT disc is good enough proof of valid test - no need to carry NCT cert. I had few road-check stops by police, and was never asked for NCT cert.
    Once I was asked for my insurance cert, and all other times I was stopped I was only asked for my licence and VRC - nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

CiniO wrote: »
    I remember reading some time ago somewhere on europa.eu website, that carrying insurance certificate while driving abroad is not necessery, as a registration plate should be a proof that car is insured.
    However it seems a bit nonsence for me, and as I'm driving abroad for last few weeks I always carry my licence, VRC and insurance cert.
    I assume NCT disc is good enough proof of valid test - no need to carry NCT cert. I had few road-check stops by police, and was never asked for NCT cert.
    Once I was asked for my insurance cert, and all other times I was stopped I was only asked for my licence and VRC - nothing else.

http://europa.eu/travel/gettingthere/index_en.htm
    A green card is not obligatory when travelling in the EU but it serves as internationally recognised proof of insurance and it makes it easier to settle claims arising from an accident. If you do not take a green card with you, you should carry your certificate of insurance.

The green card system currently covers 44 countries and is managed by an association of insurers. Their website gives further details about the green card system and its objectives.

Your insurer can give you a European accident statement form, a standard document that makes it easier to make a declaration on the spot if you have an accident in another country.

You thinking of the Green Card maybe ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement