Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving

• 03-01-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

im actually moving in 4 weeks time back to my home town of portarlington, i have been living in tullamore for the past 18 yrs. i decided to move back to port cos my parents still live there. there getting on in yrs and i seem to spend the best part in portarlington anyway.
    question is, whats the best way to get my dogs used to a different house. one of them is now 13 so i imagine she will be the hardest to adjust. any tips would be a god send. or are i worrying over nothing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i would think you're worrying over nothing. I've moved my dog and friends have moved theirs also. Not had any problems, once my dog is with me she adjusts fairly quickly. The last time we moved over the space of 4 days so the dog was with us in the new house for few days unpacking before we actually slept there and we had no problems wit her adjusting at all. Just keep her walking and feeding routine the same as in old house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I guess just bringing their bedding (without washing it so it still has the smell on it) and let them run free around the house to have a really good sniff about first, give them a nice treat once they have calmed down and settled so they associate the new place with nice things and they'll be fine.

Most dogs settle in fine but if you have a more sensative dog it might take a bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I hope she's not like Hyperbole and a Half's Simple Dog :D

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

Possibly my favourite ever blog post. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

thanks properly are worrying for nothing. dogs and me are always in port anyways so not going to be a big shock as they now most of the local walkways and woods.
    also even though were not intending to move for 4 weeks the keys will be gave to us in 2. just we are going to get the house and garden right before we move in, so will more than likely bringing them around a few times to get used to the place before we actually move in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

We had our older dog in our last house for 2.5 years before we moved here (been here 2 years now), he was about 4 when we moved, honestly I don't think he even noticed, now he is a really laid back dog but he was absolutely fine, as was the cat and that includes going from sleeping in our bedroom (we lived in a bungalow) to sleeping in the kitchen in this house (he refuses to go upstairs due to 'dodgy' leg situation) and we had no issues at all, I'm sure they will be fine, especially since you're with them in the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement