Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs in Marketing

• 03-01-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello, my story; (and i know there are many many more out there like me)
    I have had a rough few years with jobs, have some good experience in fmcg, politics, educational area's of marketing, went back did a masters in 2009 full time. However, between a company closing down, embargo on recruitment, just getting contracts (6 months and 9 months) I find myself unemployed again. (my most recent contract finished last Friday).
    But; I am desperate again for a job. Does anyone know of any companies in Dublin recruiting in the marketing/public relations area?
    My last role was in the south east and I took the job as I was desperate and need to pay bills etc... I have been applying all along for roles in Dublin however I do not even get an interview. It is soul destroying.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭charlie2505

Can't help re jobs (which is why you posted I know) but just wanted to say I am sorry to hear your story. Very similar to my husband and like you, dont live in Dublin and applying for work everywhere and anywhere-Dublin being about 90min drive from us and he cant even get an interview without lying about his address and once they know he doesnt really live there, they dont want to know. For us it's like, travel 90 mins to work every day or emigrate? Which would we prefer? No brainer to us but employers dont seem to want to know. So frustrating. As for recruitment agencies, dont get me started. Hope you get something soon and at the very least this post will bump up your thread xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, most people are in the same boat

I dont think it's exclusive to any industry, its simply excess competition for the very few new jobs out there

My advice is to focus on networking. Do anything that will make you meet new people. Join sports / interest groups, do volunteer work etc.

Because I think a lot of people are getting work through people they know more often

and employers prefer this for a few reasons

No hiring costs for them, not being inundated with 1000+ emails per DAY, and having people recommended by their own staff

Its tough, but as long as you keep applying there will always be a chance of getting a job, albeit a small one

If you dont apply, the chance will always be zero

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

thank you 'Charlie' for your reply - your story is tough too and for both of you trying to have a life together - it is so difficult and apparently more difficult for a man to be unemployed. i dont even get called for interviews in dublin. my experience is down the country. to emigrate is a difficult decision and i get angry - i want to have a life in this country, why should i have to emigrate? but i wish you and your husband luck. thanks for your response.

hi there thank you also for your response. what you are saying makes sense the networking....oh where to start! i do know a far amount of people but will have to get out there a bit more...it is very difficult as financially there is a cost to be going around networking. thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Find everyone you know and add them.

There are talks and meetings going on every month, head along and keep up to date and you'll be meeting people

• Advertisement

thank you Mike Mac. i have a profile on linked in but have to really work on it and i am nervous of this but have to get stuck in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Definitely get busier on Linkedin. Join Irish based marketing groups and look out for their networking meetings and attend to get your name known and out there. The First Tuesday Club is one of the better attended. Also Dublin Chamber of Commerce run about 120+ networking events annually which have a lot of people there who make hiring decisions.

Also if you haven't got experience or knowledge of digital marketing then I'd strongly advise to consider doing a diploma or cert in it asap- I recruit in this space and am seeing a lot of jobs coming to fruition this year. Even a small digital marketing agency I work for contacted me on Tuesday to help double their staff from 3 to 6 this side of Paddy's Day- the main problem we have is there is not enough good digital marketers out there to meet the demand. It is one area of marketing that is seeing growth- online advertising & marketing outspent the print industry in Ireland for the first time ever in 2011 and that trend is set to continue.

There are lots of Irish based websites & e-comm operations who are beginning to monetize and they need good people who are proficient and expert in PPC, SEO, Email & Affiliate Marketing. Digital Marketing will be in demand from here on in and although offline marketers will still exist employment growth won't be anywhere as big as in the digital space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Why not try and set up your own compnay? If you cant get a job then just make one for yourself

Advertisement