Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ursuline convent

Options
  • 04-01-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hey guys,

A cork outsider here and was wondering if someone could help!

Living near the old Ursuline convent and was just wondering what's the story with it? I vaguely remember being told it was empty - developer in administration??

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pretty much.

It's in a holding agreement with the City Council as is the nearby estate ~ do you pay rent to the council? [you don't have to answer that, if you do you're in part of the development].

A new smaller convert was built in the Nun's Garden and a new school built on the other side. Most of the apartments were completed as is the small shopping medical centre where ALDI is, that's all part of what was the Ursuline's Grounds and as far as I know was purchased by a single developer ~ so a good portion of the plan has proceeded.

The apartment complexes ran into difficulty early on due to poor take up, design and management company restrictions, City Hall has some 10 or 20 year obligations to these.

The big Convent was to have been a super luxury hotel adjacent to the new marina and yacht club in Blackrock village which has not materialised at all ~ and probably never will now as some of the allocated money has been spent on marina facilities by the city docks alongside the Cork Harbour Commissioners.

What will happen to the convent? In time the City Council's obligations to the whole site will revert back to the developer or his estate ~ however, as the economy has depressed and will remain so for another five or six years, the convent will become a liability to both the developer and the City and I see it going the way of St Anne's and St Vincent's ~ both also bought for development and St Anne's is partially finished but otherwise lie in ruins and burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

gbee wrote: »
    Pretty much.

It's in a holding agreement with the City Council as is the nearby estate ~ do you pay rent to the council? [you don't have to answer that, if you do you're in part of the development].

A new smaller convert was built in the Nun's Garden and a new school built on the other side. Most of the apartments were completed as is the small shopping medical centre where ALDI is, that's all part of what was the Ursuline's Grounds and as far as I know was purchased by a single developer ~ so a good portion of the plan has proceeded.

The apartment complexes ran into difficulty early on due to poor take up, design and management company restrictions, City Hall has some 10 or 20 year obligations to these.

The big Convent was to have been a super luxury hotel adjacent to the new marina and yacht club in Blackrock village which has not materialised at all ~ and probably never will now as some of the allocated money has been spent on marina facilities by the city docks alongside the Cork Harbour Commissioners.

What will happen to the convent? In time the City Council's obligations to the whole site will revert back to the developer or his estate ~ however, as the economy has depressed and will remain so for another five or six years, the convent will become a liability to both the developer and the City and I see it going the way of St Anne's and St Vincent's ~ both also bought for development and St Anne's is partially finished but otherwise lie in ruins and burnt out.

Thanks gbee! I never expected to get such an in-dept reply :) I'm living in Eden myself. I had thought the landlord said it was empty when she was showing us around. Last few nights though I've seen a light on on the top floor so I was curious as to what was happening with it.

I've seen a light on on the top floor so I was curious as to what was happening with it.

It's empty allright, I've seen a few visitors come and go, I don't know about the light, I assumed security moved in out of their prefab. I have seen the light in the upper left corner but never gave it any thought.

There has been a lot of work done to the Convent that I had not noticed. I drove in there today deliberately, it's beautiful, freshly painted new railings and gates, new courtyard and all sparklingly clean.

No sign of the security hut, no rubble, no abandoned cement mixers or dumper trucks, no ladders or empty cement bags ~ a transformation.

So I think your question can be resubmitted. :)

gbee wrote: »
    There has been a lot of work done to the Convent that I had not noticed. I drove in there today deliberately, it's beautiful, freshly painted new railings and gates, new courtyard and all sparklingly clean.

No sign of the security hut, no rubble, no abandoned cement mixers or dumper trucks, no ladders or empty cement bags ~ a transformation.

So I think your question can be resubmitted. :)

Hmmm. Strange. It's always only that one light (that I've seen anyway). It gets turned off quite early in the morning then (other half works earlys). Was telling my friend and she wondered was there homeless people in there :confused:

• Advertisement

Was telling my friend and she wondered was there homeless people in there :confused:

Take a drive in there, as long as the school traffic is not doing so at the same time, you'll see ~ IMO, the level of finish would preclude this notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kat151283

When i lived in Eden about two years ago i noticed this light also it would be turned on and off at various times i think its a security measure, when i lived there there was a security company managing it but i don't know if that's still going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

Heh, I've always wondered about the convent and now I know! I lived in Eden and now down at the Marina and I've been tempted quite a few times to take up some of my own "exploring" in there. But the doors all seem pretty tight and the fence is solid.

I'm assuming that the lights you see might actually be shining in from the other side of the building. If you're in the right angle and they have a game going on the sports grounds nearby, you can see the floodlights shining through some of the windows.

DeleveleD wrote: »
    Heh, I've always wondered about the convent and now I know! I lived in Eden and now down at the Marina and I've been tempted quite a few times to take up some of my own "exploring" in there. But the doors all seem pretty tight and the fence is solid.

I'm assuming that the lights you see might actually be shining in from the other side of the building. If you're in the right angle and they have a game going on the sports grounds nearby, you can see the floodlights shining through some of the windows.

I don't think so - it doesn't come on until about 12-1am. Stays on most of the night then. I can see the floodlights from my apartment too so it's definitely not them.

I wondered was it a hall light, because the window seems longer than the rest (I can't see all of it). I think I'm thinking about it too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roshambo

The entire development is in the hands of the receiver from Grant Thornton. I must say they do take great care of the development at Eden, landscaping, maintenance etc. So I'd say they will/have done a good job on the upkeep of the old convent. They'll probably keep it looking nice and clean until such time as the receivership is no longer needed. I know that the residents committee are constantly on the case and if anything needs to be done they are straight on to the receiver and it gets sorted. Taking their time re-building the wall that collapsed in November mind....

I live in the apartments in Eden too and I've seen that light on in the top floor of the old convent also. I just saw it the once mind and that was about 8 in the morning. I was intrigued by it also, thought there might be an old nun rattling about the place on her own or something :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Where is the secondary school now, did that move?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roshambo

they built a new school on the grounds, to the left of the old convent. that's as far as i know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

BUMP!

You should see it now!! Wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Very swish....

Some crowds down there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Anyone know the prices ? they look amazing tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Barr wrote: »
    Anyone know the prices ? they look amazing tbf.

heard something like,
    1 bed, €250k
    2 bed, €350k
    3 bed, €450k

which means all in the owner is looking for circa €10m.

Nice money if you have it.

it's looks lovely, there's some field out the back of it and there will be a park in front but personally I would buy a house if I had that money, €350k to €450k. Houses in general in Blackrock are still well back on boom prices.

It's beside Eden. Entrance is from Blackrock village.

You're literally right beside the Ursulines secondary girls school, which would be very handy if you considered your child going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Eeeks €450k ........ your right , could easily get a fine house in blackrock with that budget.

It will be fascinating to see if they sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Barr wrote: »
    Eeeks €450k ........ your right , could easily get a fine house in blackrock with that budget.

It will be fascinating to see if they sell out.

Could ya? Maybe a 2 bed bungalow, but not anything the size of these yokes. I put the price list in the blackrock thread.

Anyway. They are gone top end on the finishes, I'd say they will go pretty quick.
    Here's the professional link

http://blackrockhouse.ie/

https://www.lisney.com/new-homes-for-sale/property-for-sale-in-blackrock-house-blackrock-cork/18375

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

According to the examiner there were 500 there last Saturday at the viewing.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Could ya? Maybe a 2 bed bungalow, but not anything the size of these yokes. I put the price list in the blackrock thread.

Well a buddy of mine bought a 4 bed, detached house in a lovely part of Blackrock for €500k about 5 Years ago, it's probably worth more now.

You won't get a house on the Blackrock road but you'd certainly buy a big house in a nice area of Blackrock for €450k.

There's a lot of houses for sale in Ballintemple at the moment, it might have to a doer uper but l still think that makes more sense than investing that kind of money (which lovely and all as the finish is) is an apartment block.

if you're single the apartment for €250k is maybe an option, but some price for a 1 bed. You could definitely buy a 3 bed doer uper, semi d in Blackrock for that.

There is a stunning house for sale down near temple inn in a beautiful spot for €585k at the moment, which is admitedly is over budget.

There are plenty of houses in Daft.ie, just looking there in the €350k to €450k budget for sale in Ballintemple, 3/4 bed, semi D's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

From what I saw of the people viewing, it was mainly empty nesters who were most interested. It would not suit me one bit, but I can see how there are very few high end apartments in this specific area. That ceiling height...

Aged maybe 50's to 70's Husbands and wives were saying to eachother, look, wouldn't this be great... Still in our local area, still retain some sense of history and a beautiful big garden to use, but no maintenance to do, grass to cut.

Just aimed at a different market to the do-er up-ers really. Fully Insulated, loads of lifts, security, modern finish but in an old building. I can see it appealing to retirees.

I was down there yesterday. Must have been a couple hundred people there. Heard the EA say they were over halfway through selling them. I must say, they are hugely impressive. Nothing else like it in Cork.

Was talking to a buddy who was at the viewing and he said there were large crowds there but he's a local and he said he recognised loads of people from the area there and he reckoned all of them were just there for "window shopping" but sure look we'll see soon enough.

They're going to build a 2nd road as an entrance from Blackrock village and the old entrance to the Ursulines will be exit only.

Advertisement