Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Button Help

Options
  • 04-01-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Howya lads im having a problem I installed a new PSU and now the power button isnt working I know its as simple as having the header in the wrong place or something I forgot to connect but ive been 2 hours trying different combinations I tried the old power supply with no luck also had a good look around the net and found some info but not enough to help anybody got any ideas where im going wrong?

The mobo is a MATX by biotech if thats any help I dont know the exact model but tbh thats the first time ive even looked at a matx board so im a little confused to say the least anyway I hope someone here can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

JCW wrote: »
    Howya lads im having a problem I installed a new PSU and now the power button isnt working I know its as simple as having the header in the wrong place or something I forgot to connect but ive been 2 hours trying different combinations I tried the old power supply with no luck also had a good look around the net and found some info but not enough to help anybody got any ideas where im going wrong?

The mobo is a MATX by biotech if thats any help I dont know the exact model but tbh thats the first time ive even looked at a matx board so im a little confused to say the least anyway I hope someone here can help

Take a photo of how you have set it up? You have probably just forgot to connect the cable that goes from the button to the motherboard or put it in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Those headers can be a right pain sometimes.

Make sure you haven't tightened the screws to much on the mobo stand-offs in case its causing a short.

You can also use a small flat-head screwdriver to short the two pins of the power header just to test.

If you have no joy try the mobo outside of case.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭JCW

deceit wrote: »
    Take a photo of how you have set it up? You have probably just forgot to connect the cable that goes from the button to the motherboard or put it in the wrong place.

I definitely have it connected and in the right place I can see "On/Off" on the motherboard I have the header connected there unfortunately I dont have a camera to show you how I have it set up but im almost positive I have it right (but obviously I dont or it would turn on :P) but thanks for your help mate!
    game4it70 wrote: »
    Those headers can be a right pain sometimes.

Make sure you haven't tightened the screws to much on the mobo stand-offs in case its causing a short.

You can also use a small flat-head screwdriver to short the two pins of the power header just to test.

If you have no joy try the mobo outside of case.

Well I never touched the mobo screws and it turned on before I changed the psu so I dont think its the screws Ill go try it with the flat head thanks for the idea!

My fan LED's turned on for a split second earlier so I think im making progress!

EDIT: I tried to short the two pins but I got absolutely no response do I need to connect the floppy four pin connector to anything?

Without knowing what the mobo is i cant say for sure.I'd imagine that there is a 4 pin power socket on mobo that will need to be connected to power supply.

Whats the model number so i can check?

Without knowing what the mobo is i cant say for sure.I'd imagine that there is a 4 pin power socket on mobo that will need to be connected to power supply.

Whats the model number so i can check?

G31-M7 TE...thats the model number I just downloaded the manual for it see If I can figure it thanks for all the help

• Advertisement

G31-M7 TE...thats the model number I just downloaded the manual for it see If I can figure it thanks for all the help

Yeah i does have a 4pin power aswell as the 12pin.
    So with that connected you should be good to go.

Yeah i does have a 4pin power aswell as the 12pin.
    So with that connected you should be good to go.

Im a little confused is the four pin power the one beside the cpu fan?

Im a little confused is the four pin power the one beside the cpu fan?

Its the one where the back panel i/o shield goes.Top right if you look at the picture of the 50-RIG31CM7S-Q-B1.pdf

The PSU should have a a connection that is 8pin split into 2 fours.

Its the one where the back panel i/o shield goes.Top right if you look at the picture of the 50-RIG31CM7S-Q-B1.pdf

Yep thats the one I was talking about thats connected I just reconnected again got a quick flash of the leds then nothing :confused:

Can you take a pic of the setup so i can have a look?

What new psu did you buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just to make sure you are connecting the power switch cable to the two black pins? rather than any of the other ones?
    So the 3 cables needed connecting are the 4 pin cable, 24pin cable and the little slim 2 pin cable for the power button. Make sure all are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Just to be clear, the power button on the front of the case is not working?

If so, what case is it? Do you have the Front Panel Connector plugged in?

35i2cep.jpg

deceit wrote: »
    Just to make sure you are connecting the power switch cable to the two black pins? rather than any of the other ones?
    So the 3 cables needed connecting are the 4 pin cable, 24pin cable and the little slim 2 pin cable for the power button. Make sure all are connected.

All of these are connected yes
    Can you take a pic of the setup so i can have a look?

What new psu did you buy?

Sorry I dont have a camera PSU is Silent Pro Gold
    dannyd20 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, the power button on the front of the case is not working?

If so, what case is it? Do you have the Front Panel Connector plugged in?

35i2cep.jpg

Yes the power button on the case is not working case is XCLIO A380 and the front panel connector is connected just like in the pic well I only have the power and reset switches connected but surely the LED's dont matter? did I damage my mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes the power button on the case is not working case is XCLIO A380 and the front panel connector is connected just like in the pic, did I damage my mobo?

Swap the connections for the power (move them around). You have two connectors (+,-) Maybe the + is on the - pin, and vice versa.

I had a similar problem.

Paulw wrote: »
    Swap the connections for the power (move them around). You have two connectors (+,-) Maybe the + is on the - pin, and vice versa.

I had a similar problem.

Ive tried this a hundred times haha but surely this wouldnt matter if I tried to short the pins with a flat head screwdriver?

Both psus you have tried yes?

Try taking the cmos battery out for a few mins.

Do you have the ram in the right slot according to manual?
    Try only one stick to make sure ram is fine.

Reseat the cpu (if you have more thermal paste).

Ive tried this a hundred times haha but surely this wouldnt matter if I tried to short the pins with a flat head screwdriver?

Yes.

Both psus you have tried yes?

Try taking the cmos battery out for a few mins.

Do you have the ram in the right slot according to manual?
    Try only one stick to make sure ram is fine.

Reseat the cpu (if you have more thermal paste).

Cant reseat PSU but Ill try the rest with a little help from google ill find the cmos and I tried both PSU's first thing I tried but thanks for the recommendations!
    Yes.

Well I tried it both ways and still no joy ill repeat it again after trying the above

OK Had the cmos out and replaced it tied again no luck tried one ram no luck tried swapping the power switch header around again no luck cant be much more to try at this stage id guess???

OK Had the cmos out and replaced it tied again no luck tried one ram no luck tried swapping the power switch header around again no luck cant be much more to try at this stage id guess???

Looks like something is borked tbh :(
    Only other thing to try is reseat graphics card (and check its power connection if it needs one) and if no luck its a case of having to try test each part on a different system.

Just to confirm,
    In this pic it shows the 4+4 (top left) thats that one you have used half of to connect?
    http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/gold700-5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

I know it has been asked already but you're sure you have both 4 pin cable & 24pin cable plugged in?

gold700-5.jpg

And the switch flicked 'on' on the back of the power supply. :P

Funny that neither psu works now, did the old one work before? Check you haven't blown a fuse in your power lead?

Looks like something is borked tbh :(
    Only other thing to try is reseat graphics card (and check its power connection if it needs one) and if no luck its a case of having to try test each part on a different system.

Just to confirm,
    In this pic it shows the 4+4 (top left) thats that one you have used half of to connect?
    http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/gold700-5.jpg
    dannyd20 wrote: »
    I know it has been asked already but you're sure you have both 4 pin cable & 24pin cable plugged in?

gold700-5.jpg

And the switch flicked 'on' on the back of the power supply. :P

Funny that neither psu works now, did the old one work before? Check you haven't blown a fuse in your power lead?

On closer inspection there is power going to the mobo as you can feel the heatsinks heating up but the psu fan or processor fan never kicked in my cousin (she's an electrical engineer) basically told me I killed it :o oh well these things happen I think this a good excuse to get a 2500k!

Thanks for all the help lads but this one is gone with the dodo

Advertisement