Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Eircom Broadband problems

Options
  • 04-01-2012 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭

Today, I received an Eircom modem/router and installed same using WIFI to my laptop.

The download speeds are extremely slow.
    I went to the Eircom site and conducted Eircom Speed Test.

Speed results

Test date
    Wed Jan 04 2012 00:40:11 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Download Speed
    1.02 Mb/s

This is equal to
    1025 kbps

Upload Speed
    0.42 Mb/s

This is equal to
    418 kbps

Latency
    133 ms

My broadband is also freezing regularly.

This is frustrating as the previous broadband supplier speed was far quicker and there was no freezing.

Can someone advise me as to how to tackle this issue please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi hinault,

Thanks for your post.

Just to advise, your modem or even the local loop /exchange, may not be the source of this problem.

I have checked both your broadband sync and the way you're connecting over our authenticating servers. Your broadband is syncing fine at 5Mb, with good attainable rates. While I do see some intermittency. I have made some suggestions which may assist you on this. I've also taken a look at your modem and see that you have just the one wireless client (s-TOSH) connected at the minute. All this would appear to be fine from here.

On the question of slow broadband speed: This can often be caused by various options : For example: interference on the internal phone wiring, or internal applications and spyware running on your computer.

*Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.)

*Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

If there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.

Firstly run a quick maintenance check on your modem : i.e:

Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

Ensure your computer is not downloading files while running your broadband speed test.

*It is important also that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For e.g: a long private extension cable. Also, when testing your connection: ENSURE that you temporarily remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

*All secondary phone extensions should be correctly FILTERED. If you have any problems with your Secondary Phone Socket(s) you will need to contact a 3rd party/ or vendor who installed this secondary extension socket (usually an electrician).

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Connect ONLY one computer and shut down all other computer devices when testing your broadband speed. This will help obtain accurate broadband speeds.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?
    • These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.
    Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?
    • Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

I usually like to disable my computer firewall(s) and anti-virus applications so that I get an accurate reading when testing my broadband speed.

Now try eircom's Broadband Speedtest: www.eircom.net/speedtest

If you are still experiencing slow broadband speeds, then you will need to report this to Technical Support directly. Technical Support may need to run some quick checks before they escalate to the eircom Engineers.

Completing the Checks (above) will ensure that you have tested your broadband setup, as advised by Technical Support.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow up later.

Kind regards,
    Ant

hinault wrote: »
    Today, I received an Eircom modem/router and installed same using WIFI to my laptop.

The download speeds are extremely slow.
    I went to the Eircom site and conducted Eircom Speed Test.

Speed results

Test date
    Wed Jan 04 2012 00:40:11 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Download Speed
    1.02 Mb/s

This is equal to
    1025 kbps

Upload Speed
    0.42 Mb/s

This is equal to
    418 kbps

Latency
    133 ms

My broadband is also freezing regularly.

This is frustrating as the previous broadband supplier speed was far quicker and there was no freezing.

Can someone advise me as to how to tackle this issue please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Ant, thanks for coming back to me. I very much appreciate it.

I have run the speed tests again today and the speeds are as they were yesterday.

I'm not downloading anything while conducting the speed tests, so the speeds are no faster than the speeds provided by my previous provider.
    I'm using wireless internet connection by the way.

I'll get on to Eircom Technical support and see if they can help.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

hinault wrote: »
    Ant, thanks for coming back to me. I very much appreciate it.

I have run the speed tests again today and the speeds are as they were yesterday.

I'm not downloading anything while conducting the speed tests, so the speeds are no faster than the speeds provided by my previous provider.
    I'm using wireless internet connection by the way.

I'll get on to Eircom Technical support and see if they can help.

Thanks again.

Appreciate you taking the time to run tests hinault

Let me know how you get on with Tech Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement