Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a new 2012 build

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi everyone

as per the title I am considering a new 2012 build.

This is my current rig

CM Storm Scout
    MSI P55-G65
    LG Optical Drive
    Samsung HD103SJ 1TB *2
    Intel Core i5 750
    Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 533MHz i5 Memory Module CL7*2 (Added 1 x 2GB PNY PC3 10700H 667MHz module ) TOTAL 6GB MEMORY
    Scythe Heatsink
    Radeon HD 4670.
    CORSAIR 650w PSU

What would reckon the above rig would be valued at today? I have tried to search online but some components are discontinued.

I might consider selling the whole rig to help finance a new build or I might upgrade though I fancy a new build more.... :)

Thanks a million for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Another idea is to upgrade my current setup.

I would eventually like to tinker with overclocking. If you were to upgrade the above rig what would you do to get the most benefit performance wise?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

johnc24 wrote: »
    Another idea is to upgrade my current setup.

I would eventually like to tinker with overclocking. If you were to upgrade the above rig what would you do to get the most benefit performance wise?

What model is the Sythe cooler? If is it pretty decent you already have everything you need to start experimenting with overclocking.

An SSD would be a good investment giving you a really noticible improvememt in performance. You still have a pretty decent CPU by any standards, so I can't see a really compelling reason to upgrade that the moment, especially considering it would require both a motherboard and CPU change.

You didn't mention what the PC is used mainly for, you do much gaming? If so the GPU would be another obvious candidate.

Aside from that there is not much that could be improved upon (enough to warrant the investment) currently IMO.

marco_polo wrote: »
    What model is the Sythe cooler? If is it pretty decent you already have everything you need to start experimenting with overclocking.

An SSD would be a good investment giving you a really noticible improvememt in performance. You still have a pretty decent CPU by any standards, so I can't see a really compelling reason to upgrade that the moment, especially considering it would require both a motherboard and CPU change.

You didn't mention what the PC is used mainly for, you do much gaming? If so the GPU would be another obvious candidate.

Aside from that there is not much that could be improved upon (enough to warrant the investment) currently IMO.

Im not sure about the cooler - I think it's this one, Scythe Mugen 2 I am trying to check my order but I have to change login details etc etc. I'll try confirm this later.

Yes I would like to maybe invest in an SSD for windows. Could you recommend an SSD drive?

I don't do a huge amount of gaming at all to be honest, but I like the idea of having the reserve. I would like to get FSX going on full throttle, excuse the pun. Internet mostly, occasional photo editing. To be honest I just want it fast as I can - I don't like to wait. (It's a weakness in me I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The mugen 2 is a big cooler and should enable good overclocks. I agree with Marco, I don't think that a CPU upgrade from that system is worth it. I would wait at least until the Ivy Bridge processor line in April (iirc).

Crucial M4 is one of the best SSDs to go for at the moment.

Hi folks

I found the CPU cooler I have - not the mugen 2 like I thought earlier.

It is in fact the Scythe SCZP-2000 ZIPANG 2

In terms of overclocking do you think that would be adequate for cooling.

I was playing earlier and found the temps to be creeping high quite easily which makes me think it may not be the best for OCing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's not really an overclocking heatsink but it's certainly better than the stock cooler. Most people are able to get 3-3.5GHz without increasing the voltage. I'd say you'd still be in safe temperature levels with that and it's a respectable enough overclock. Temperature will increase a bit but they fly up fast with voltage and you could probably do with a better heatsink when aiming for 4GHz.

Advertisement