Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats anal glands need expressing?

• 04-01-2012 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all

For a while now I've noticed that my cat starts to reek after/while I am petting him, he is otherwise purring and wanting more.

I googled it and I think his anal glands need to be 'looked' at.

I will ring the vet in the morning etc but I am wondering on ways to improve his diet so his poops are harder and will help self express.

He is on purina dry food with the odd pouch and occasional tasty scraps. He will only drink tap water if he is forced to as he prefers the stuff that falls outside. Could I try adding a crushed bit of weetabix?

I don't really want to try expressing the sacs myself as he does not allow anyone to pick him up and is only affectionate with myself, unless of course he wants to be fed than he is a Babylonian whore.

I liked the article below.

http://cats.about.com/od/healthfaqs/f/diyanalglandsex.htm

Advertisement