Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technics 1210 MkII

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong forum...but maybe someone could help anyway.

I have an issue with a 1210 where one deck will not hold pitch...while playing a record you can hear the pitch shoot up and down rapidly.

I have ordered a new pitch fader...but am wondering do you think this is definitely the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Liam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sounds like the motor on the deck might be possibly malfunctioning. I'd imagine if the pitch fader was damaged it just wouldn't change the pitch as opposed to slowing down and speeding up the deck. I could be completley wrong of course :rolleyes:
    EDIT: If you knew someone with same decks you could try out your pitch fader in one to see if the problem lies there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiamTutty

Cheers Mordeith.

I'm hoping it's not the motor...but I'm kinda confident it's not...as it will hold pitch at 0%...but as soon as you move the fader, it's all over the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I wonder is it maybe a calibration issue? Video on how to re-calibrate below

• Registered Users Posts: 13 revolv909

I remember a few years back i tok the plater off my 1210 and turned a small resistor to make the pitch go to +/- 12 rather than the 8 it was originally... If your pitch is jumping i cant imagine its your pitch fader.. My guess would be that the current going through this little potentiometer may be fluctuating..... and needs replacing... imagine they are pretty inexpensive and if you can solder your on a winner.... Hope you sort it anyhow.. Best of luck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ywHNX58S1A

heres the link i watched!!!!.. Tells you how to get to the potentiometer...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It could be a dirty pot
    there's dirt in the knob. In electronics, it's know as smeg.

What can work, is sitting down with it, and turning the control back and forth, back and forth, for about 20 minutes - it can work the dirt free.

You may need to get it serviced, if it's something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Deemann

Hi,
    I service and repair all sorts of dj equipment but I do have vast experience with technics ...
    I have to agree with KRD and would treat the problem as dirt to start off with..
    So get some Servisol Contact Cleaner and give the fader a small squirt.. Work the slider back and forth and this should sort it, if the problem is dirt.
    It might also be that the fader has worn out and needs replacement.. The decks would need to have been used constantly for years for this to happen..
    The third possibility is that you have two zero points on your fader...this needs calibration and you have to open up the unit to get at it.. Remember if u buy anew fader you might end up with the same problem if it is a calibration problem..
    Feel free to drop me a question.
    Regards
    Deemann

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mce2010

Hi Sorry to hijack this thread but I've a problem with a 1210 too. I think it could be a motor problem.

Basically, when I turn on the 1210, everything works, it's all lit up but when I hit the start stop button, nothing happens. It wont spin at all. Has anyone come across this?

A while back I put on a record one night after a nice few beers, fell asleep and woke up a few hours later, the record was still spinning so I just hit stop and forgot about it. When I next tried use the turntable, it wouldn't work. Does this sound like I've burned the motor out? If so any idea how much a repair would be?

Worst of all of this story is, the decks were on loan from a mate. Need to get this sorted very shortly! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Deemann

..well... It's hard to think that the motor could be burnt out just by leaving it spin for a few hours.. I have seen decks spin for 15 hours non stop in the summer sun in Ibiza and here in parties..... I have only seen decks act like that after something has got spilled into it....have a look under the platter and see if there is a any sign of spillage..Having said all that its hard to be accurate without running a multi meter across it ..mle time know how u get on..
    Deemann

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mce2010

Deemann wrote: »
    ..well... It's hard to think that the motor could be burnt out just by leaving it spin for a few hours.. I have seen decks spin for 15 hours non stop in the summer sun in Ibiza and here in parties..... I have only seen decks act like that after something has got spilled into it....have a look under the platter and see if there is a any sign of spillage..Having said all that its hard to be accurate without running a multi meter across it ..mle time know how u get on..
    Deemann

Cheers for coming back to me Deeman. Definitely no spillage involved but funny you should mention spillage. The reason my mate loaned me the decks was because I had a spillage incident which wrote off my MacBook and had nothing to mess around with.. Then this happens.

Yeah, I was shocked to see the turntable not working myself. I've been led to believe you can throw technics off a roof and they'll stay working. Slight exageration!

It might have nothing to do with that night I left them on at all, might just be a coincidence. Anyway, best thing I think is to drop them in to Aquarius in Celbridge and get them to take a look. Just hoping I don't get a big bill or worse still have to buy a replacement deck..

I'll let you know anyway how things pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mordeith wrote: »
    I wonder is it maybe a calibration issue? Video on how to re-calibrate below

I love that guy's videos, he breaks everything done into easy steps that are simple to follow and he doesn't waffle, unlike that ellaskins guy.
    I love the out takes in this particular video too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement