Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about feeds

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The 6+ formula is a marketing gimmick designed to make parents think their babies need a different type after 6 months because its illegal to advertise formula for babies under 6 months.

The food might have meat, wheat and eggs included as these can be introduced after 6 months. The texture might also be lumpier so babies get used to other textures.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

my son is also 6 months and i started at 4 months too. he is eating same as your boy. Although at breakfast i have just started to reduce his bottle a bit and give him bit more cereal, the odd time he has one weetabix. lunch is 8oz bottle followed by small bowl of pureed fruit or mashed banana. Dinner is 8oz bottle and his meal now has some pureed chicken or fish mixed with veg. Then 8oz bottle before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Here's one that wrecks my head...when you buy the cartons of pre-made formula.. 7ozs is 7ozs... however when you make a 7 oz at home with the powder.. it becomes 8 ozs...so technically it's still a 7 oz i know.. but in volume going into the baby it's 8 ozs... so which is it?.. see why my head is wrecked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Be careful with cereals like 'Sunshine Orange'. I believe they are full of sugar!

From 6 months you can give him wetabix or Ready Brek with cows milk as a way to start introducing it. These cereals are cheaper too.

I really shouldn't worry too much about what you're doing right or wrong. So long as he is eating and taking his bottles and he looks to be thriving, thats all the reassurance you need :)

And anyway, just when you think you know what you're doing, he'll be teething or having a growth spurt and it'll all go out the window... sometimes quite literally :D

Happy Parenting!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

http://www.babyledweaning.com/
    You can try this :-) its fun and you dont have to be worried how much solids he eat as until baby is 1 they get enough calories from milk.
    The follow on milk ~ as How Strange said.
    Good luck:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but does that mean your baby is only eating processed foods - formula, cereal, fruit pot, jar of food? Are you not preparing any of his meals? I think you'd need to really watch out for salt and sugar as well as other additives.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

" wrote:
    I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but does that mean your baby is only eating processed foods - formula, cereal, fruit pot, jar of food? Are you not preparing any of his meals? I think you'd need to really watch out for salt and sugar as well as other additives.

Baby food companies don't add salt to their jars/pots/boxes. They might not be quite as good as freshly cooked food, but they are not "processed" in the same way as a chicken nugget or a packet of soup powder are. If you get a jar of pureed veg, it's veg which has been cooked, pastuerised and jarred in a vacuum. There might be some nutrient loss but there's no additives. The ingredients are listed on the sides of the jars for parents to read.

Sometimes jars are the easiest way to deal with the puree phase until babies are ready to eat the same food as parents mashed up.

Captain Morgan, I would definitely second the others who suggest Ready Brek, it's a fraction of the price of baby cereals. I also put a couple of tablespoons of fruit pot puree into it and it made fruity porridge without the added sugar.

The 6 month jars are a little more texturised and include more flavours than first tastes, as baby moves through the weaning process, but its up to you to decide when they are ready. At 6 months, baby would probably be well able for a mashed carrot or spud that has been steamed til soft. You can mix in formula or breastmilk to make it the consistency you like.

You will probably find that he starts to reduce the amoutn in one of the bottles. I gave both of mine their "dinner" at lunchtime and they gradually cut out that bottle, and replaced it with a drink of water. I think the idea behind this is that they have the lighter meal closer to bedtime. For me I couldn't handle trying to cook dinner for them around the crazy 5pm time when small children start to have a meltdown!

Ah the joys, good luck!

Advertisement