Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained Fire Fighters Face Social Welfare Cuts

Options
  • 04-01-2012 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just read this article in this weeks Argus, this is a disgrace

http://www.argus.ie/news/retained-firefighters-face-social-welfare-cuts-2975167.html

RETAINED fire officers in Louth are not just fighting fires - they are fighting social welfare cuts to their income, according to Dundalk ICTU centre manager John Mathews, who has appealed recent decisions to cut entitlements to fire fighters.

Mr Mathews and the Irish Fire and Emergency Services Association (IFESA) say that part-time firefighters are being denied jobseekers' payments because their positions as firefighters mean they are limited in the jobs they can take up.

In addition, there is a requisite that they must live within a certain distance of the fire station.

This stipulation, according to social welfare officers, means the firefighters are hampered in their ability to find other work. The issue arose in Louth when a part-time firefighter moved to Louth from Kildare in the hope of getting a full-time position in Drogheda.

But social welfare inspectors in Louth said the officer's part-time role meant that he was not available to take on other employment.

The matter was raised in the Dail recently by Sinn Fein TD Gerry Adams, who was told by Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton that her department 'couldn't introduce special arrangements for firefighters without raising equity issues for other claimants'.

But Minister Burton said a group has been formed in the department to examine the position of part-time firefighters. Mr Mathews, who helped two officers appeal the cuts to their social welfare, said some retained firefighters make up 20% of fire service staff, were in dire straits after their social welfare was cut.

He said: ' There are people in the position now that are considering giving up being retained firefighters entirely because they need the regular income that social welfare gives them. They are paid €8,000 a year, in quarterly installments. It costs between €15,000 and €20,000 to train each firefighter and taking away a part-time staff member's social welfare would mean the State would have to pay even more to each person in terms of social welfare'.

Mr Mathews said the next step is to contact the Social Welfare Ombudsman with a view to getting the social welfare returned to retained officers. He said: 'It seems like they are being penalised for the job they do'.

- ANNE CAMPBELL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

100% agree with the post and it sentiments but did the ICTU not tell us all to vote for Labour in the last GE??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annoyedpublic

General elections aside, what can be done now. This people shouldn't be punished for trying to work.

Drogheda Independant, December 21st 2011, Page seven
    Call for just treatment of unemployed firefighters
    A call has been made for retained firefighters to receive fair and reasonable treatment in relation to job seekers allowance payments.
    Gerald Nash TD has vowed to continue his fight for firefighters in these part-time positions to be treated fairly.
    At present, some retained members of the force in Louth and across the country are being refused jobseeker allowance payments on the grounds that they are not sufficiently available for work.
    “This issue was first brought to my attention by retained firefighters who are working in our smaller rural stations,” said the Louth Deputy.
    “There is an inconsistency in how this issue is treated from county to county. I’ve been working with the Minister for Social Protection, Joan Burton and she is sympathetic to their situation.”
    A departmental report was commissioned following intervention by the Drogheda TD with the Minister and this report has now been completed.
    It’s hoped the Minister will fully consider the report without delay so that “a common sense solution can be found.”
    “Retained firefighters provide an essential service to our community and we should not be putting obstacles in the way of fulfilling their duties. Louth has a strong and proud tradition in terms of our firefighters who put themselves at risk for our safety,” he added.
    “There is no doubting their desire and availability for full time employment.” “If this situation is not resolved we will be in the ludicrous situation of telling dedicated firefighters that they should sit at home rather than serve their community,” added Deputy Nash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Are you one of these retained firefighters?

I am, and not sure where to turn now. I face financial ruin the longer this issue takes to resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I am, and not sure where to turn now. I face financial ruin the longer this issue takes to resolve.

It was highly disingenuous of you to call yourself "Annoyed Public", then, wasn't it?
    You have 8 posts on Boards.ie, each and every one of them on the same issue. Yet, on that issue, you are very far from being an annoyed member of the public. You are in fact a member of the very class of people you're posting about.

As I understand it, a person may only receive Job Seekers Allowance if they are available for and actively seeking full time work.

Are you available for and actively seeking full time work?

As I understand it, a person may only receive Job Seekers Allowance if they are available for and actively seeking full time work.

Are you available for and actively seeking full time work?

Apologies if I seemed underhand, it is just a name I chose, no malice intended.

I am available for work and have been genuinely seeking work. I have been seekin work both inside and outside my on call area, in all industries and job roles. I got some work for a couple of weeks at the end of last year which I undertook. I have also been successful at I interview for a wpp2 programme, however I cannot undertake as I must be in reciept of social welfare, because someone once believed I was not looking for work, I cannot undertake work I have found.
    Willing to do anything, don't know where to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

your post says some are being refused SW, therefore what is the difference between you and the ones getting SW?
    Does this issue have anything with the recent agreement made between the council and local firefighters where some retained firefighters were made permanent.
    The main thing is not to give up and keep searching, bar work and maybe security work may suit.

Apologies if I seemed underhand, it is just a name I chose, no malice intended...

Whether malice was intended or not, the name you chose is just about the most inappropriate possible name to choose for a person who is going to stand up on their own personal soapbox and post about their own personal problem.

• Advertisement

@ Indiewindy,
    yes at the minute only Louth and some in Clare are affected by this, so nationwide the rules are not being applied fairly.
    This has been ongoing since early 2011 so the recent announcements with regard to urban stations might help since there will hopefully be some jobs available.
    Thank you very much for the sentiment, much appreciated. Will keep retrying, I think it is almost for sure that I will be leaving to get work. Not a problem, tis a shame really as this presents a general loss to the tax payer in recruitment costs, training experience etc.

@locum-motion,
    Again sorry to have misled or annoyed, your points are noted and appreciated. Is there any advice you can offer me with regard the issues outlined?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

locum-motion, the op has already acknowledged the point about his name, drop it please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 powerm

the retained firefighters all over ireland are now been hit by the government as regards their part time job as fire fighters & being unemployed through no fault of their own. why don,t the government sort out all the fiddling going on amongst themselves and bankers instead of easy targets. retained & full time fire fighters provide a great service at the drop of a hat 24/7 365 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NO.1 FIREFIGHTER

Im looking for information on weather or not any retained firefighters in Ireland get Family Income Supplement(fis). Im looking to apply for this but I wouldn't have enough hours work in a week to get it. Would my on call hours be counted in my hours worked. Any information would be very much appreciated. It's hard enough on the little money we get a a hard job we do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement