Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Decent Jobs in Australia (on a WHV)

Options
  • 04-01-2012 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

So I've been in Australia for about 3 months now - 2 months travelling and 1 month in Melbourne searching for a decent job. However I always seem to hit a brick wall - I've applied to tons of temporary banking / finance / administration roles with no luck so far. I've even been applying to loads of data entry jobs with terrible pay ($21-$23 an hour) and still nothing. I usually change my Resume and Cover Letter to suit each job and I've a degree + postgrad + 1.5 years experience.

My money is running out fast so does anybody know of any recruiters that can help? I've talked and met with one or two but can't seem to find a position.

There appears to be jobs for carpenters, plumbers and cafe workers in Melbourne but I would like something to put down on my Resume for my time in Melbourne. This can also be taken a a word of advice for anybody coming over looking for these sort of jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

My guess is that employers in industry you work in don't see individuals on WHV as viable candidates. They probably want people who can work longer then the 6 months

From reading stories and talking to other people if you are on a WHV you'll struggle to get a job in your chosen career in Australia unless you work in the hospitality or construction industry. Although it seems people who work in Finance (and have good experience and qualifications) have a good chance of getting sponsored.

I was luckily enough to get a job as a supervisor but I think I was pretty fortunate to get this position while on a WHV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

As I said to a previous post of yours on a different thread, literally everybody I know from back home who is a qualified accountant got sponsorship in no time out here. One guy got sponsored by the company before he even started the job, and this was within 3 weeks of landing in Australia.

A lot of employers aren't interested in hiring people on WHV's because of the 6 month restriction but if you make it completely clear from the outset to the recruitment agencies that you are seeking sponsorship then that changes things. If you dont do that then they just assume you will piss off to another part of Australia after a few months like most people on WHVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

OP - try ambition.com.au

They got me and my friends jobs in finance industry.

We're all sponsored now.

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I work in IT which everyone from home says you will get a job no problem.

I applied for at least 200 jobs and got 2 interviews and these were all lower end jobs. its all about your visa status i got lucky with the second interview.

If you have a solid background 3years+ i think you should be ok but anything less you are still a junior and are prob better trying smaller companies that are not that up on visa's, thats what happen me anyways.

I done my 6 months and they wanted to keep me and all it cost them to become a sponsor is about 500 dollars and 80 for a position nomination. then about 320 for you to apply for your 457

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Nice tip Dave :)

But gift, I was almost in the same boat, I dont have a post grad tho. I applied for a 2month contract doing the exact same thing I was doing for a bank in Ireland and I got refused due to my visa. In the end I gave up because everyone I went to said that banks will not hire people on WHV's in WA I was even told by one agency it is illegal for them to hire WHV's due to the sensitive information available, although I dont think thats true. And $23 an hour isnt bad in fairness you can live fairly well off that!

Edit:

BTW I did apply for loads of other jobs not just that one before settling for something else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Can i ask why this thread is called "Lack of decent Jobs in Australia":confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Prob meant to say "Lack of Decent Jobs in Australia on WHV"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

zweton wrote: »
    Prob meant to say "Lack of Decent Jobs in Australia on WHV"
    edited - lots of decent jobs out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So I've been in Australia for about 3 months now - 2 months travelling and 1 month in Melbourne searching for a decent job. However I always seem to hit a brick wall - I've applied to tons of temporary banking / finance / administration roles with no luck so far. I've even been applying to loads of data entry jobs with terrible pay ($21-$23 an hour) and still nothing. I usually change my Resume and Cover Letter to suit each job and I've a degree + postgrad + 1.5 years experience.

My money is running out fast so does anybody know of any recruiters that can help? I've talked and met with one or two but can't seem to find a position.

There appears to be jobs for carpenters, plumbers and cafe workers in Melbourne but I would like something to put down on my Resume for my time in Melbourne. This can also be taken a a word of advice for anybody coming over looking for these sort of jobs.

facepalm1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I've even been applying to loads of data entry jobs with terrible pay ($21-$23 an hour) and still nothing.

:confused:

From memory the going rate for these jobs back home was around 10- 12 euro per hour.

Thats about 14- 16 dollars! How much are you expecting for an entry level job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

From memory the going rate for these jobs back home was around 10- 12 euro per hour.

The minimum wage is about $18-$19 here so a few dollars over minimum wage and I'd be satisfied. I've completed 5 years of college and have experience so I would generally expect a bit more than minimum wage. I would happily take a data entry job. Most of these are advertised for about $22-$23 an hour

God id never work for 21 - 23 an hour sure thats terrible altogether i was on 0 an hour at home lol

Take any job you can get, go work in a bar, restaurant, warehouse, retail or do your farm work.
    Your going to get to a stage were its do anything or go home, search for that right job while your working somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The minimum wage is about $18-$19 here so a few dollars over minimum wage and I'd be satisfied. I've completed 5 years of college and have experience so I would generally expect a bit more than minimum wage. I would happily take a data entry job. Most of these are advertised for about $22-$23 an hour

Tbh there's your problem. Your education and experience count for little when you're on a visa.

Your expectations are too high and you should take what you can get, minimum wage included.

We are now seeing the emergence of a new animal species emigrating from Ireland. We call it the "Tiger Cub".

Zoologists fear that the natural habitat called "The real world" will be too harsh for them leading to a quick and rapid extinction.

Its OK though. This extinction will save precious bandwidth to be used for other worth while ventures such as looking up naked pictures of Lara Bingle and Miranda Kerr.

Minimum wage is $15.70 I think. $23 an hour will give you $920 a week before tax.. Which is €720.. Not too shabby!

jank wrote: »
    We are now seeing the emergence of a new animal species emigrating from Ireland. We call it the "Tiger Cub".

Zoologists fear that the natural habitat called "The real world" will be too harsh for them leading to a quick and rapid extinction.

Its OK though. This extinction will save precious bandwidth to be used for other worth while ventures such as looking up naked pictures of Lara Bingle and Miranda Kerr.

Hold on Jank whats that glimmer behind you??!!

Ah my mistake i thought those streets were lined with gold, you mean im the immigrant now and have to take what i can get lol

Xavi6 is right your visa is as important if not more important when you only have 1.5 years experience and a degree, most of the Asians here have a masters because it allows them to go straight for perminent residency if they study here.
    The Indians have loads of qualifications as well, having native English will stand to you over some other races depending on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    We are now seeing the emergence of a new animal species emigrating holidaying from Ireland. We call it the "Tiger Cub".

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

My mates Aussie missus, who while an intelligent girl never did any type of 3rd level, got a starting wage of 25 per hour. Aussie employers arent particularly interested in qualifications alot of the time.

We call it the "Tiger Cub".

Zoologists fear that the natural habitat called "The real world" will be too harsh for them leading to a quick and rapid extinction

Hardly. The person here is bemoaning "only" getting 18 euro per hour for a job that back home you would take home about 400- 450 per week for. If you have residency the money available for what in Ireland would be low paid menial work is staggering. Being a forklift driver or a binman doesnt sound too glamourous yet they can be making more than a graduate. Even some branches of McDonalds pay around the 19 p/h mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Shock 2nd time this week I have had to agree with Damo

$20-$25 ph is not bad for a w. holiday visa

I posted this in September based on Aug figures

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74464519&postcount=8

National average is $33/$34 ph and I reckon more for Sydney ($40+)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Well bar work and retail gets about $22-$23 an hour - would it be too much to ask to get the same as that?

• Advertisement

Well bar work and retail gets about $22-$23 an hour - would it be too much to ask to get the same as that?

Sure, if you have one of these?

epassport-01-09.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

The AUS $ is massively overvalued at the minute not too long ago 1 euro would of got $2.20 whats it now $1.26.Australia is heading for a crash of epic proportions buy other currency's with your OZ dollars now while its strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What would you recommend buying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zambia wrote: »
    What would you recommend buying ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPShHzdEC8Rh3KDbePushzjAIaAlX9olH0cOwjn0U047ilOOkM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

The AUS $ is massively overvalued at the minute not too long ago 1 euro would of got $2.20 whats it now $1.26.Australia is heading for a crash of epic proportions buy other currency's with your OZ dollars now while its strong.

Maybe the Euro was massively overvalued for a decade and what's happening now is a permanent adjustment that's here because of the dishonesty of tin pot little nations.

But yes the AUS Dollar probably is overvalued at the moment.

I hope for everyone on a Visa that Australia is not heading for a epic crash, if that does happen they are first boat out of Oz and Ireland will have a unemployment rate nearing 20%...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lou044

OP why don't you hop on a flight to Perth? Unemployment here is lower and tons of office jobs here paying 20-25 an hour. I got a job in my first week here selling solar- saved tons of money and now taking a few weeks out to chill. 4 new Irish people came to my hostel last week and 3 of them are already working- 2 of the girls working in offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Shock 2nd time this week I have had to agree with Damo

$20-$25 ph is not bad for a w. holiday visa

I posted this in September based on Aug figures

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74464519&postcount=8

National average is $33/$34 ph and I reckon more for Sydney ($40+)

Ouch. I'm heading to Sydney in early march on a work sponsored visa.
    $77k figure i assume is average including super. (making the average hourly rate less than above)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

About average wages, my mates in Perth are earning $28ph as a driller on the roads and another a chippie with a major company is on $35 (half of Donegal is working there and the start pay for TA's is $30) another on traffic control is on $23 a hour but gets about $35 for overtime and nights.

So there is jobs and money out there if your willing to try something, only saying like...:D

O and that "Tiger Cub" that somebody mentioned, I see were your coming from as I met plenty of Irish people in Perth who were to "posh" to do certain jobs.

But hey it takes all sorts:)

rightyabe wrote: »
    About average wages, my mates in Perth are earning $28ph as a driller on the roads and another a chippie with a major company is on $35 (half of Donegal is working there and the start pay for TA's is $30) another on traffic control is on $23 a hour but gets about $35 for overtime and nights.

So there is jobs and money out there if your willing to try something, only saying like...:D

O and that "Tiger Cub" that somebody mentioned, I see were your coming from as I met plenty of Irish people in Perth who were to "posh" to do certain jobs.

But hey it takes all sorts:)

One of our regulars in the hotel says generally wages are far better in Perth then in the other states. Any idea if this is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

One of our regulars in the hotel says generally wages are far better in Perth then in the other states. Any idea if this is true?

I would say it could be true but maybe things are more expensive in Perth i'm not sure to be honest but I have mates in Brissy and they are earning good money too for chippy work. So its hard to say it might be a case of "the grass is greener" who knows...:rolleyes:

Advertisement