Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Decent Jobs in Australia (on a WHV)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

rightyabe wrote: »
    One of our regulars in the hotel says generally wages are far better in Perth then in the other states. Any idea if this is true?

I would say it could be true but maybe things are more expensive in Perth i'm not sure to be honest but I have mates in Brissy and they are earning good money too for chippy work. So its hard to say it might be a case of "the grass is greener" who knows...:rolleyes:

Perth more expensive then Melbourne or brissy?

Just back From dinner with the missus, $185 including tip.. Melbourne can do some damage to the wallet if ya let it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The AUS $ is massively overvalued at the minute not too long ago 1 euro would of got $2.20 whats it now $1.26.Australia is heading for a crash of epic proportions buy other currency's with your OZ dollars now while its strong.

There is a reason why its strong. Record commodity prices but I agree it will weaken over the next year or two but dont think it will go to the rates of what we saw pre-gfc. Now is the new normal in some ways.

The euro may not exist in a years time and the US dollar is facing massive QE in the next few years as its the only way out of its debt. There are only so many Swiss Francs and Norwegian Kroner's out there to buy. Options are not great and ffs do not say buy gold or silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

lou044 wrote: »
    OP why don't you hop on a flight to Perth? Unemployment here is lower and tons of office jobs here paying 20-25 an hour. I got a job in my first week here selling solar- saved tons of money and now taking a few weeks out to chill. 4 new Irish people came to my hostel last week and 3 of them are already working- 2 of the girls working in offices.
    Im heading to Perth for a WHV with a masters degree but no real working experience only a year in telesales and then various part time jobs.

What's the best way of getting an office job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ouch. I'm heading to Sydney in early march on a work sponsored visa.
    $77k figure i assume is average including super. (making the average hourly rate less than above)

As far as I can remember it didn't include super or overtime, that was just Pre- tax average.

One of our regulars in the hotel says generally wages are far better in Perth then in the other states. Any idea if this is true?

The high wages paid in the mines would push up the state average and also to a certain extent drain the work force from non-mining occupations. So I would assume that would be true, but that in return puts up living costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

jank wrote: »
    There is a reason why its strong. Record commodity prices but I agree it will weaken over the next year or two but dont think it will go to the rates of what we saw pre-gfc. Now is the new normal in some ways.

The euro may not exist in a years time and the US dollar is facing massive QE in the next few years as its the only way out of its debt. There are only so many Swiss Francs and Norwegian Kroner's out there to buy. Options are not great and ffs do not say buy gold or silver.

The IMF have said that the AUS dollar is somewhere in the region of 30% overvalued. Sure, they have more natural resources than Ireland and a neighbour with an insatiable appetite, but no one is untouchable. Sky rocketing commodity and property prices, an overvalued currency reducing tourism, etc.

All eyes on China, because they are the ones who control Australia's economic future.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The IMF have said that the AUS dollar is somewhere in the region of 30% overvalued. Sure, they have more natural resources than Ireland and a neighbour with an insatiable appetite, but no one is untouchable. Sky rocketing commodity and property prices, an overvalued currency reducing tourism, etc.

All eyes on China, because they are the ones who control Australia's the worlds economic future.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just back From dinner with the missus, $185 including tip.. Melbourne can do some damage to the wallet if ya let it!

Don't blame Melbourne for that. Nobody to blame but yourself there. What the hell were you eating? Lobster??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yeah cost me 82 bucks today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I remember paying $75 for lunch in Manly on Anzac day- it was supposedly Sydneys best pizza place - what got me was how expensive Wine was cheapest bottle was $42 - thought that was not normal but was in another OK place in Newcastle (not byo) and wine prices were similar. Did have a good meal in an RSL later for next to nothing which balanced it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Zambia wrote: »
    What would you recommend buying ?

Food stocks share's in wheat,corn,ect silver(my top tip)small amounts of gold.Norwegian krone is you want to hold some currency.Shares in company's like tesco.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Maybe the Euro was massively overvalued for a decade and what's happening now is a permanent adjustment that's here because of the dishonesty of tin pot little nations.

But yes the AUS Dollar probably is overvalued at the moment.

I hope for everyone on a Visa that Australia is not heading for a epic crash, if that does happen they are first boat out of Oz and Ireland will have a unemployment rate nearing 20%...

The reason the Euro is still staying stable against most of the worlds currency is the eurozone cumulative gold reserve is the biggest in the world.Australia is ranked 34 bit strange for a country that gold is mined in.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPShHzdEC8Rh3KDbePushzjAIaAlX9olH0cOwjn0U047ilOOkM

I have been trading commodity's and FOREX for years sure what would i know?What is your occupation?

jank wrote: »

There have been unofficial rumors spreading in the financial circles that China has been manipulating it growth statistics for the past 2 years.I would drop swiss franc's aswell because it has been sneakily pegged to the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

The reason the Euro is still staying stable against most of the worlds currency is the eurozone cumulative gold reserve is the biggest in the world.

Why cant the Euro translate to $$$, Sort of goes against your first post saying.
    not too long ago 1 euro would of got $2.20 whats it now $1.26.

Does not read stable to me, if anything it goes down that much i want to ask her out for a few drinks.

There have been unofficial rumors spreading in the financial circles that China has been manipulating it growth statistics for the past 2 years.I would drop swiss franc's aswell because it has been sneakily pegged to the euro.

In fairness those rumors have been around for donkeys years. The Chinese government were notorious for cooking the books. but I would say there is some truth to it. People will turn a blind eye to it as there is too much money being made until of course the whole thing comes crashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I have been trading commodity's and FOREX for years sure what would i know?What is your occupation?

Online cynic

04072511 wrote: »
    Don't blame Melbourne for that. Nobody to blame but yourself there. What the hell were you eating? Lobster??? :eek:

We were in MoVida. Seriously good tapas. Its not actually too expensive (The single tapas are around $4-$5 bucks and the sharing tapas are around $15-$25). It was just so good we ordered so many! And all the wine, deserts and coffee ran the bill up as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

We were in MoVida. Seriously good tapas. Its not actually too expensive (The single tapas are around $4-$5 bucks and the sharing tapas are around $15-$25). It was just so good we ordered so many! And all the wine, deserts and coffee ran the bill up as well
    fantastic place! Love it! But seriously you can't complain about food prices when you dine at a 2 hatted restaurant !

hussey wrote: »
    fantastic place! Love it! But seriously you can't complain about food prices when you dine at a 2 hatted restaurant !

I ain't complaining about the prices - it was well worth every penny. They're attention to detail and innovation when it came to some of their dishes was great. One dish I had - smoked mackerel with a pine nut and gazpacho sorbet was fantastic.

Any restaurants in the CBD you'd recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Any restaurants in the CBD you'd recommend?[/QUOTE]

Cumulus
    Hako
    Gingerboy was grand but felt it was pricy for what you got
    Chin Chin
    Longrain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Jump on a 96 to Albert park in and go to Mart for breakfast/lunch. Maybe my favorite spot in Melbourne.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/761226/restaurant/Melbourne/Albert-Park/Mart-130-Middle-Park

Then have lunch in MoVida as above.

Finish off the day with a steak, sides and great wine in Rockpool at the crown.

Your wallet will hate you but your stomach will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I ain't complaining about the prices - it was well worth every penny. They're attention to detail and innovation when it came to some of their dishes was great. One dish I had - smoked mackerel with a pine nut and gazpacho sorbet was fantastic.

I went there last year and had something similar, and I thought it was amazing

I'm in Sydney so don't know too much about Melb food scene
    but am heading to Melb in end of Jan and heading to Golden fields and gonna do the lunch special at this place (2 hats)
    http://www.distasio.com.au/category/cafe-di-stasio/lunch-special/

Also Cumulas inc for breakfast! amazing

Am on holidays in the US for the last week and me & the missus been eating out every night, we are eating out same sort of eateries as we would back in Sydney and the bill is roughly the same (considering $Au and $US on par)

example tonight
    Stubby beer is between $4-$6 (depends on the establishment)
    12 oz Steak & fries $32

Then of course in the US you expected to add 15% tip.

Have noticed that liquor in the bottlo is cheaper (2/3) than back home, and IPAD2 is a lot cheaper in the new year sale but then they hit you up with the state tax when you get to the register.

Advertisement