Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork loin stuffing help

Options
  • 04-01-2012 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine gave me a great recipe although I can't make it because cheese disgusts me.

Anyway, he gets the pork loin and flattens it out. He puts slits in it and puts in his stuffing which is simply pink lady apples mixed with garlic and cheese Philadelphia and a bit of sage plus salt & pepper (no breadcrumbs). He then puts chorizo on top of the loin, rolls it up, and wraps it in Parma ham, and sticks it in the oven.

Sounds great, but as I said, I hate cheese.

Anyway, I was looking to make a similar stuffing. I just came from Tesco and I bought pink lady apples, shallots, garlic, onions and breadcrumbs. Would it be possible to make a decent stuffing from these ingredients? There was no fresh sage, but I have dried here at home.

I have never made stuffing before. Any ideas?

What I was going to try was to fry the onion and shallot in butter, stick in the clove of garlic and mix it up. Then I was going to take it out and put it in a bowl and mix with a chopped apple and then later the breadcrumbs. I have no idea how to do stuffing? Would that work or has anyone any better ideas?

Would apple and onion go together? Weird combination.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It would definitely work, and you can use dried sage no problem. Apple and onion go really well together. For texture, since you're not using the cheese you could put some mashed potato in. I started adding mash to my stuffing lately and it's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I would probably grate the apple into it. Add in other (dried) herbs like parsley, etc.

I would add in a little beaten egg or milk if your having problems getting it to stick together.

It sounds like a lovely combination anyway no matter what way you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

It would definitely work, and you can use dried sage no problem. Apple and onion go really well together. For texture, since you're not using the cheese you could put some mashed potato in. I started adding mash to my stuffing lately and it's really good.
    Dinkie wrote: »
    I would probably grate the apple into it. Add in other (dried) herbs like parsley, etc.

I would add in a little beaten egg or milk if your having problems getting it to stick together.

It sounds like a lovely combination anyway no matter what way you do it.

Thanks for the replies. As I've said before, I have absolutely no idea how to make stuffing as I've never made it before. I'll give it a go later on tonight anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

For someone who doesn't know how to make stuffing, you've certainly got a great idea for stuffing. I'll give your idea a go, sounds great.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    For someone who doesn't know how to make stuffing, you've certainly got a great idea for stuffing. I'll give your idea a go, sounds great.

I tried it and thought it was disgusting. My girlfriend thought it was fantastic though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I tried it and thought it was disgusting. My girlfriend thought it was fantastic though!

Sorry I missed your earlier post, been off the radar for a while but if I'd been here I'd have suggested mixing in some sausagemeat, preferably a good meaty pork sausage - about 3 dinner size sausages with the skins off. Mix well with all your other ingredients which are the ones I use when making stuffing, and I'd also grate the apple - much easier to handle. The sausagemeat will help keep the meat moist and deglazing the residual pan juices leads to a lovely gravy. Sometimes I'll finely chop smoked bacon and a stick of celery and add to the stuffing which I then use in stuffing chicken, big flat mushrooms, pork steaks and lambs hearts. Very versatile and really tasty. Hope you give it another try - a 50/50 vote deserves another go!

janmaree wrote: »

Sorry I missed your earlier post, been off the radar for a while but if I'd been here I'd have suggested mixing in some sausagemeat, preferably a good meaty pork sausage - about 3 dinner size sausages with the skins off. Mix well with all your other ingredients which are the ones I use when making stuffing, and I'd also grate the apple - much easier to handle. The sausagemeat will help keep the meat moist and deglazing the residual pan juices leads to a lovely gravy. Sometimes I'll finely chop smoked bacon and a stick of celery and add to the stuffing which I then use in stuffing chicken, big flat mushrooms, pork steaks and lambs hearts. Very versatile and really tasty. Hope you give it another try - a 50/50 vote deserves another go!

Thanks. I will definitely try it again.

Advertisement