Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is more repressed? Women!

Options
  • 04-01-2012 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Which women is more repressed in your view?
    Muslim women who wear that veil thing or Western women who wear that cosmetic stuff?

My opinion is that while muslim women are repressed overtly by being made to cover themselves in public, western women are repressed covertly by been made to "cover yourself mentally". The make up covers you (in essence) the same way the veil covers you!.

I suppose the question really is this!, is make up enhancing your beauty or covering up your beauty? (we know what you have been told girls!!! but what do you THINK?)

Oh and FYI irish girls before any of you attack me! Muslim women actually believe that the veil makes them more beauiful as do you with your No.5

I prefer a women to just be herself (very hard to find an Irish girl like this anymore :() I think its quite sad when women cover up the fact that they are a women then they mentally cease to be one.....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

02572 wrote: »
    I prefer a women to just be herself (very hard to find an Irish girl like this anymore :()
    Agree, they all shave their damn legs these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Honestly, I reckon that it sorta depends on the society you live in. I think a muslim woman living in Ireland will be far less repressed than a muslim woman living in a staunchly muslim country.

I'm an Irish female, and, while I have certainly felt the pressure to conform to the idealised western female ideal, I have had (and chosen) the option not to. I've been wearing, for about 10 years now, the same baggy jeans, band tshirts made for 'males', long, shapeless grey hoodies, smudged as **** eyeliner when I want - but I couldn't give a **** if I'm wearing it or not on a daily basis, it's just nice to put on when I feel like putting it on. I generally shave my legs, but if I skip a coupla weeks and feel like wearing shorts, I certainly don't stress over it.

I appreciate that the veils add an element of culturally recognised beauty, and that they serve as a way to supposedly avoid being seen as a sexual object. To me, the mere fact that they have to be worn to avoid being seen as such suggests that the fact of that matter is that the person beneath is still a sex object, just one not readily available to the general public. I am frequently grateful, to be honest, that I did not grow up in such a society, and there's nothing like watching a historically based drama to appreciate the fact that I did not grow up where being a 'lady' or such gender specific ideal was virtually mandatory.

I suggest that the female growing up in Ireland - particularly one whose religion does not specifically make demands of her dress and sexuality (or better yet, one who is not fixed to a specific religion purely because it's her birthright) - is far more free than one growing up in an oppressive, sexist, religious country. I have far more choice to *not* adhere to the cultural norm, and there is a large subculture that agrees and appreciates that fact, even if it's still somewhat taboo within the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Very good post. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I prefer a women to just be herself...

What's a women?
    I've been wearing, for about 10 years now, the same baggy jeans...

Jasus, the smell must be really bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

OP you are ignoring women who wear the veil and wear make-up. Women worldwide have the pressures of conforming to a perceived ideal beauty. For example while women in Ireland often wear fake tan to look darker, women in other countries use skin whiteners (basically poison) to give themselves a lighter appearance.

Regardless of what clothes and make-up women choose to wear to cover up physically, no-one is going to lose IQ points over wearing a bit of mascara.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A woman wearing make-up can be herself - and it's a bit of a stretch to speak for all Muslim women.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What's a women?

Thank you!!! :mad:

Anyway OP, I don't think you can speak in such massive generalities like that :confused:
    For some women the caked-on makeup is covering rather than enhancing; for others it can be enhancing. I don't see how it's repressed.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Jasus, the smell must be really bad...

at this stage, they're almost entirely dependent on the patches used to put them back together, but while im terrified of what the washing machine may do to them, they get washed frequently in rivers and oceans. old, yes. dirty, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

It makes me feel pretty when my makeup and hair are nice and my clothes match. I'm not a slave to it but I would put a little makeup on most days for myself.

What's wrong with that?

Doesn't make me feel oppressed, I enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You get a huge range of women in Ireland from heavily made up to au natural. Most of the women I know fall into the latter bracket. Make up, or the lack of it, allows you to experiment and show off your personality to a point.

Not much you can do with a burqa. To think they represent a moral high ground is dillusional. Even aside of the vanity argument, it means a woman cannot even show a facial expression. How deadening is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 02572

I got the idea to post from this video! I just wanted to get an Irish reaction. It makes you think, I think anyways!

What are you thoughts on that little documentary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

women or women?

not sure, it's a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I got the idea to post from this video! I just wanted to get an Irish reaction. It makes you think, I think anyways!

There are no potatoes or Guinness in this video :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I think the burka veil or whaever is to do with sunlight protection, no seriously they dont wear them inside do they?

the sun is so strong in those countries and some of us know what the sun can do to peoples skin who are very outdoor people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Muslim women who wear that veil thing or Western women who wear that cosmetic stuff?

Repression is not about what you wear, it's about the absence of choice.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

I stopped watching the second time he called me a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yeah but what do Ninjas have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I haven't watched the video itself, but in that picture the woman in the burqa is wearing make-up.

EDIT: Just watched the first couple of minutes, all of the covered up women are wearing make-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

watched a bit of this, at one point it says something like "your feeble brain cannot understand this" before referring to western women as fools. Charming.

Documentary is a bit of a strong word, to be honest.

My thoughts... fair point... followed by boredom, followed by amusement, followed by annoyance.

I'd argue more that it's not so much about trying to kill off women, as it is about being able to control women as sexual objects and that in a male dominated society, looking like a man's ideal woman is one of the ways that women have found power and control. Which sounds a bit conspiracy theorist, but I think it all works on a far more subtle, subconscious level.

However, I think there are many women out there - far more than this video gives credit to - who, for a variety of reasons, don't subscribe to the pressures to look, be or do things in a certain way.
    Zen65 wrote: »
    Repression is not about what you wear, it's about the absence of choice.

Z

I think there's a lot about having a choice, but not being given all the information in order to make that choice. Thinking back on the social pressures when I was younger, to conform to be a certain way... I've always, technically, had the choice not to conform, but I didn't have the required understanding, knowledge or information to make the choice at the time.
    I stopped watching the second time he called me a fool.

You missed out, it gets pretty feckin funny by the end. (unintentionally)

• Advertisement

It hardly merits the title "documentary" since it documents only the ramblings of some poor deranged person who has some rather strange views on women (and men, and sex, and life in general).

It was the worst kind of waffle I've come across in a while!

Z

wow such sexy eyes! :) in the vid still posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

at this stage, they're almost entirely dependent on the patches used to put them back together, but while im terrified of what the washing machine may do to them, they get washed frequently in rivers and oceans. old, yes. dirty, no.

Ugh. Crusty.

I think there's a lot about having a choice, but not being given all the information in order to make that choice. Thinking back on the social pressures when I was younger, to conform to be a certain way... I've always, technically, had the choice not to conform, but I didn't have the required understanding, knowledge or information to make the choice at the time.

Undoubtedly you may not have had the understanding, but is this not a matter of having the level of maturity and/or support from your peers? I think the same could be said about most of the social conventions we followed when we were younger. One cannot put old heads on young shoulders, so to speak.

This, in my opinion, is not really repression. You have always had the freedom to exercise a choice, so "repression" is probably not an appropriate term for what was going on.

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

I'm still trying to pronounce beyoncenism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The ninja in that video is wearing a ton of eyeliner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The real reason why Muslim women wear burkhas is because they all have moustaches. They may have sexy eyes, but underneath, they basically look like female Borats.

That's a fact. A mate of mine said so.

The real reason why Muslim women wear burkhas is because they all have moustaches. They may have sexy eyes, but underneath, they basically look like female Borats.

That's a fact. A mate of mine said so.

no thats just silly, it cause they are COVERED in ACNE spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

anyone ever get the ride off a girl in a burqa?

• Advertisement

John Doe1 wrote: »
    anyone ever get the ride off a girl in a burqa?

on the bucket list :)

Advertisement