Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs to re wire 1980 home

Options
  • 04-01-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi Can anyone let me know the approx cost of re-wire to a 3 bed house. Just a "ball park" figure would be helpful. I am about to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It's really hard to say without knowing more specifics.
    Anything from €5k - €10k would be fair, I would say.
    Be sure to get at least 3 quotes - all from registered electrical contractors, preferably from ones you have gotten good reports on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

Too many factors to give an accurate estimate.Will someone be living in the house.Will it be furnished.Who will lift floorboards chase walls etc. If you are prepared to do the donkey work,you should get a reasonable enough estimate. I have never got anything near 5 to 10 k on a rewire

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Solas8

Too many factors to give an accurate estimate.Will someone be living in the house.Will it be furnished.Who will lift floorboards chase walls etc. If you are prepared to do the donkey work,you should get a reasonable enough estimate. I have never got anything near 5 to 10 k on a rewire

The house is empty, solid floors downstairs and upstairs is minimal chasing. I will be adding insulation to external walls. I thought 5thou, never mind 10 was very high?
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

Sounds high to be honest but depends on the spec,how many sockets and what type.What part of the country are you in as this can also be a factor. At a very rough guess I would say 3,500 to 4,000 for a standard house

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Bomberman

The best way to get a rough idea is to price every point at €60,
    this includes every light, switch, socket, fuse board, cooker switch, everything that is an electrical point.

If you do it like this you wont be far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

At a very rough guess I would say 3,500 to 4,000 for a standard house
    Even these days, a contractor would need to be charging more to to be sure he is not cutting corners, etc. if you ask me.
    Usually, people don't just go for a straight swap of old for new. Additional sockets are required these days, and sometimes lights.
    TV cables should be wired with a minimum of 2 per room. Cat 5 is cheap to future proof also. Sheds, outside lights, etc can be extra that were never properly powered previously. Call outs to have ESB reconnected, new earth rod, energy efficient light fittings, copper is now expensive...all things that add to the cost.

Like said above, get a few prices, and don't assume the cheapest is best. A recommendation from someone who has used said contractor is invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Will depend with the extras i.e. wiring for computer network ,tv etc.
    you could keep it as simple as possible like one pendant type light fitting per room to keep costs down

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

Bomberman wrote: »
    The best way to get a rough idea is to price every point at €60,
    this includes every light, switch, socket, fuse board, cooker switch, everything that is an electrical point.

If you do it like this you wont be far off.

I have a standard 3 bed semi-detached house. Using this reasoning I would have to pay over €6000. That is way off the mark for the standard of what I have.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    I have a standard 3 bed semi-detached house. Using this reasoning I would have to pay over €6000.

Sounds about right depending on the number of points and the spec. Clearly your home has over 100 points, which is quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

75 would equate to 4.5k

100 seems like a lot

ive never used these formulas but I wish I had sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement