Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is the Year

• 04-01-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi Guys, been a stalker for the last year or so but have decided to start a log for this year as i want to keep myself going on the right track.
    Story behind me is, this time last year i did my first running race, Tuam 8k and really enjoyed it, signed up for a few 10ks but to be honest didn't train properly for them and ended up injuring myself. After i hurt my back in the Kildare 10k in May i decided enough was enough and had to change my ways, i was 18st 7lbs at the start of June and i was determined to shed some weight. I started swimming, bought a new bike on the bike to work scheme and took running a little more seriously(did more of it), i also play a bit of soccer and Gaa but didnt really play much gaa since i hurt back but between them all i got into a great routine and even knocked 4 and a half mins of my 10k pb in septemeber. Today i weigh 14st 10lbs and feel brilliant, still want to lose another stone but have finally got the head in the right place to do it, wish i did it a long time ago, the funny thing is, it hasnt been that hard, once i got going, i kinda knew no different.
    The plan this year is to do a few 10ks, a triathlon or two,a few half marathons and the dublin city marathon(if not one beforehand), i have already signed up for the Liverpool half marathon in March so thats what ill be training for first, i cant wait for it now, itl be my first halfer.
    I swim every week day, try and run regularly and play soccer once or twice a week, i have decided to return to the Gaa for January and Febuary for the preseason work, which will be a great help for speed and overall work.
    I plan to update this every day so if i miss any days make sure and tell me off :D.
    Right here it goes. First two days i took the running side of it very eay as i had been a bit sick so felt rough enough

Monday 2/1/12

5k Run

Tuesday 3/1/12

Swimming 1.25km
    5k Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Wednesday 4/1/12

Swimming 1.25km

30 Min Walk at lunch

Didnt get to do alot due to meeting last night,hopefully from tonight on ill be free a little more to get more done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Best of luck with the goals!

Thanks Bobmac, going ok so far but next week ill be really starting to up it hopefully.

Thursday 5/1/12

Swimming 1.25km

Football 1hr 20mins - Plenty of running done during game, good workout.

Friday 6/1/12

Swimming 1.25km

Football 1hr 15mins

Saturday 7/1/12

Run 12.5km

Sunday 8/1/12

Run 7k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good solid work ethic there, hookster. Keep up the good work, you'll never look back!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Brownian, i love getting out for the runs and the swimming, great thinking time :-)

Monday 9/1/12

Swimming 1.25km

Football 1 hr 15 mins with plenty of running involved which is brilliant, fitness is improving every day. The GAA is returning on Sunday so its going to be a tough few weeks but i cant wait.

Tuesday 10/01/12

Swimming 1.5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

.... i was 18st 7lbs at the start of June.............Today i weigh 14st 10lbs and feel brilliant,

Thats some serious weight loss. Fair play, that's great work. Best of luck with the halfs this year, but I'd just advise not to try and take on too much too soon. GAA and Soccer on top of the swimming and running is going to take its toll, and overkill could lead to injury/lack of motivation.

Just some friendly advice, but hope it all goes well for you.

Wednesday 11/01/12

Swimming 1.5km

Thursday 12/01/12

Swimming 1.5km
    Football 1hr 20 mins

Friday 13/01/12
    Decided to rest today as didnt want to over do it, probably needed it.

Saturday 14/01/12

Run 6.5 miles

Sunday 15/01/12

Run 9 miles

Monday 16/01/12

Swimming 1.5km

So far feeling good, the two runs at the weekend felt very comfortable, and could have ran for hours. I have upped the swimming from 1.25km to 1.5km and enjoying that too. Football is proving to be very useful, plenty of running involved and strength work, plus i love football so enjoying playing while fit :-)

Thats some serious weight loss. Fair play, that's great work. Best of luck with the halfs this year, but I'd just advise not to try and take on too much too soon. GAA and Soccer on top of the swimming and running is going to take its toll, and overkill could lead to injury/lack of motivation.

Just some friendly advice, but hope it all goes well for you.

I learned the hard way last year about listening to your body so i know when not to overdo it. I do my swimming at 7am in the morning so dont really notice it much anymore as im so used to going, if i do nothing in the evening sometimes i feel like i have done nothing in that day :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Best of luck with the log, jsut started one myself and found it a great way to keep at it. Thinking of getting back into the GAA for the preseason training also, defintely would help with the speed work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

The hookster....good luck with the plans and congrats on the massive weight loss...that will definitely help with the running..the heart and joints will thank you for it too! keep up the good work...
    Boards is great for help, support and encouragement!!!
    Anne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best of luck with the log Hookster!

It's gets pretty addictive, doesn't it?

Tuesday 17/01/12
    Swimming 1.5km

Football - Plenty done here, Did 35 mins constant running at decent pace, then went into alot of body work, sit ups,push ups etc. For the GAA i play in goals so we did an hour of goalkeeping work with a new coach we have,which was brilliant, plenty of fast body movement with the drills and i can safely say i have never felt better, feeling alot more agile and mobile than i did when playing 2 years ago.

Wednesday 18/01/12
    Swimming 1.5km

Resting tonight, the wife will be happy :-)
    alitoast wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log, jsut started one myself and found it a great way to keep at it. Thinking of getting back into the GAA for the preseason training also, defintely would help with the speed work

I would recommend it, i was a little worried of picking up injury but some of the stuff we have been doing is making me stronger.
    Younganne wrote: »
    The hookster....good luck with the plans and congrats on the massive weight loss...that will definitely help with the running..the heart and joints will thank you for it too! keep up the good work...
    Boards is great for help, support and encouragement!!!
    Anne

Thanks Anne, the boards is brilliant, i used to read alot of logs and there are some seriously brilliant people on here. I am enjoying keeping a log now. Delighted with the weight loss, worked hard but it was well worth it, but learned alot from it too, what foods i can eat and ones that dont agree with me.
    pointer28 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log Hookster!

It's gets pretty addictive, doesn't it?

Very addictive, i spend most my lunch breaks doing a small bit of excercise or reading logs, i think i have become obsessed with the whole thing haha, good complaint i suppose :-)

Thursday 19/01/12

Swimming 1.25km

Run 8km

Well i havent been on this much lately, between work and different stuff i never got a spare minute to update the log so ill try to re cap.

Friday 20/1

Rest Day

Saturday 21/1

10k Run

Sunday 22/1

10k Cycle

Monday 23/1

Swim 1.25km
    Football 1 hour

Tuesday 24/1

Swim 1.25km
    Football training 2hrs

Wednesday 25/1

Swim 1.25km
    5k Run

Thursday 26/1

Swim 1.25km
    Football 1 hr

Friday 27/1

Swim 1.25km
    Football training - all speed work 2 hrs

Saturday 28/1

Rest

Sunday 29/1

Football Match - picked up dead leg here so had to rest a few days

Monday 30/1 - Tuesday 31/1 - Wednesday 1/2

Rest

Thursday 2/2 - Friday 3/2 - Saturday 4/2 - Sunday 5/2

Was away on a stag in Latvia, no excercise done here apart from a bit of bobsleighing :-)

Monday 6/2

Swim 1.25km

Tuesday 7/2

Swim 1.25km
    Football 1hr

Wednesday 8/2

Rest

Thursday 9/2

Swim 1.25km
    Football 1hr

Friday 10/2

Swim 1.25km

Saturday 11/2

10k run

Sunday 12/2

16k Run

Monday 13/2 - Tuesday 14/2 - Wednesday 15/2

Was away with the wife and decided to take a small break

Thursday 16/2

Swim 1.25km
    Football 1hr

Friday 17/2

Football 1hr 30 mins

Saturday 18/2

Rest

Sunday 19/2

Football Match

Thats about it, i havent done a massive amount between work, injury and trips away but hoping to pick things up this week. Still attending the GAA training but not as much as i would like due to work so for next few weeks ill probably do more work on my own. I have a 10k race in 2 weeks then the half marathon in liverpool 2 weeks after that so cant wait.

Monday 20/02

Swimming 1.5km

Run 15km

Tuesday 21/02

Swimming 1.25km

Wednesday 22/02

Swimming 1.25km

Thursday 23/02

Swimming 1.25km

Football 1hr 30mins

Friday 24/2

Swimming 1.25km

Saturday 25/2

Run - 26.5km - My longest run to date, was tough but delighted to get through it.

Sunday 26/2

Rest

Monday 27/2

Swimming 2.5km

Tuesday 28/2

Swimming 1.25km

Run 5k

Wednesday 29/2

Swimming 1.25km

Thursday 1/3

Swimming 1.25km

Football 1hr

Friday 2/3

Run 5km

Saturday 3/3

Rest

Sunday 4/3

Today was built up to be a good day, i had entered the Carrick On Shannon 10k race as a warm up for my half marathon in two weeks. Got a good sleep and was up early to get down and register, was feeling great and was very confident of achieving a sub 50min, my previous best was 56mins. Started off very well and was through the 1st km in 4.14, second was much the same and was well on course to knock my previous time well out of the park, but as i was entering the 5k stage my knee just went from under me, no reason for it, it had felt a little sore at start but nothing out of the usual. I soldiered on for another km but the pain was starting to get really bad, so i had no option than to slow down to near walking as i was worried about the halfer later in month.At 9k i tried to pick it up but couldnt and finished in 1hr 4 mins which surprised me no end considering i had practically walked the last 4k, makes me wonder what time i would have got if i hadnt got injured. Left the race frustrated but ok but as day went on i got more angry, knee swelled up on way home but eased once iced and elevated, feels ok today, really annoyed with the whole thing and a part of me has started doubting whether i will finish half marathon now or will same thing happen. I cant really get my head around what happened, knee just seemed to go from under me then was ok but very painful to run on, i suppose these things happen.

Monday 5/3

Rest

Tuesday 6/3

Sick

Wednesday 7/3

Sick

Thursday 8/3

Football 1 hr

Friday 9/3

Rest

Saturday 10/3