Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale query........

Options
  • 04-01-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I bought an camera from Littlewoods just before christmas as a gift...the price was €122....I decided to buy one for myself last week.. price €124....no big deal..(except that i havent received it yet) .but today the price in the SALE is...€184...thats some sale..:confused:

Isnt there some law about the price of goods for certain amount of time.....??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yep, it has to have been the higher advertised price for 28 of the previous 90 days.

so the camera could have been €249 in November, advertised as 50% off when you bought it, now be advertised as 25% off, and still fulfill all the legal criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

To qutoe Fr.Dougal McGuire..."thats mad."...........:)

When is a sale not a sale.......when its a Littlewoods sale...............:o

Just as a by the way...do they still have to send my camera, even though the price is now higher..i have paid for it...??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can cancel, or refuse the package when it arrives and look for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tinyjiney wrote: »
    I bought an camera from Littlewoods just before christmas as a gift...the price was €122....I decided to buy one for myself last week.. price €124....no big deal..(except that i havent received it yet) .but today the price in the SALE is...€184...thats some sale..:confused:

Isnt there some law about the price of goods for certain amount of time.....??

Apparently not, according to the NCA there is no such time period defined in Irish law. The law just requires that the previous price be in place for a "reasonable time" and not mislead the customer.

The 28 days that The groutch refers to is only a guideline recommended by the NCA as their interpretation of a "reasonable time". As the NCA is a statutory body their recommendations carry a good deal of weight.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The 28 days is part of the British law regarding sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I think it used to be part of the Consumer Information Act 1978, since repealed by the Consumer Protection Act, 2007.

However, the 2007 Act contains provisions against the use of misleading and/or unfair commercial practices so therefore, if it wasn't previously at a higher price, the suggestion that it is on sale would be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Aer Lingus had a sale recently, ending on 18th March, with "up to 50% off" the base fare, before taxes and charges, and the cost of a flight from, say, Dublin to Lanzarote was reduced.

On 19th March the price went back up.

Thne on 24th March Aer Lingus started a NEW "sale", with €20 off return fares, including Dublin to Lanzarote.

So only ONE WEEK between sales!

I wonder would the NCA consider this reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You can get some great bargains with Littlewoods and you can also get badly burned.

I Ordered a computer from them for 399 a few months back. They canceled the order and told me to reorder. (some excuse given about delivery address even though they had delivered to that address before) When I went to reorder the price had gone up to 489. I declined but I kept my eye on the site. The following week the same Computer had gone up to 619. Ten days later it was down to 379, That's when I ordered and I got it 2 weeks later. By the time I got the item the price was back to 549.

I saved in real terms 50 euro, when you took the spec into account. People should only shop with them if they know their product and they're paying very close attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@mambo - please don't bring old threads back to life, particularly with off topic posts

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement