Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme

• 04-01-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭

Now that schools don't get the extra teacher allocation for running this programme do the second level techers here that have this programme feel that it is of benefit to theie school and students to cotinue running it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

doc_17 wrote: »
    Now that schools don't get the extra teacher allocation for running this programme do the second level techers here that have this programme feel that it is of benefit to theie school and students to cotinue running it?
    We have gone from having nearly every 5th year doing it last year to only one class this year. It benefits weaker students in terms of getting points but with all the cuts I really cant see the subject lasting in our school past the present 5th years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

We were having a debate about it the last week before the holidays. This idea of pairing up subjects is the real weakness of the LCVP. For our small school it really affects the subject choice we can offer and that they can choose from. It usually always means that people cannot do DCG, Engineering and Construction whereas those who prefer non-practical subjects are accommodated better.

So people might have to take Chemistry and Physics just to make a pair even though they will do very well to make 15 points in those and all so that they can maybe get 50 points in LVCP

Aside from those concerns I really question what kids get out of it. what is its' value as a subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Aside from those concerns I really question what kids get out of it. what is its' value as a subject?

I honestly cannot see any real benefit to most kids as a subject. If there were any real benefits schools would still be trying to keep it on regardless of the loss of the extra allocation. Truthfully I reckon a lot of schools had the subject in recent years purely because of the extra teacher allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

agree, its good for students with less than five honours subjects or weaker kids but it was much better when the allocation was there

Just another thing about the points for the weaker students.....the new buzz is education is to get away from the rote learning and chase for points so that could be another reason to ditch this subject.

The education system is getting hammered these days yet the average points students seem to be getting is trending up so something doesn't fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just another thing about the points for the weaker students.....the new buzz is education is to get away from the rote learning and chase for points so that could be another reason to ditch this subject.

The education system is getting hammered these days yet the average points students seem to be getting is trending up so something doesn't fit.

Maybe people who won't get high points are leaving school? I know we have lost a number of students in 5th year this year. They are going to CTWs and Youthreach which will pay them money, yet not count them in school numbers.

The money paid, however small, is a very big consideration in some schools.

Possibly but given that second level completion rates have also increased I'm not sure that woud account for it. A few researchers in Tralee IT have done some research on grade inflation: http://www.stopgradeinflation.ie/papers.html

It does seem to be a real problem

Advertisement