Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shop assistants, there is a recession going on, you know

Options
  • 04-01-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Went shopping in town yesterday. Out of 15 stores I visited, only 2 had helpful staff who asked me if I needed help with anything. One was a young girl, visibly starting a new job and eager to last. The other one was a foreign lady who must have worked in retail in a country where customers do count. In 3 sport stores, I stayed with a trainer in my hand, looking for someone to ask for the right size. Eventually grabbed the girl behing the till in the 3rd one, she was very helpful in the end but her 3 colleagues whom I had seen when getting in the shop were out of sight.

In a shoe store, I was the only customer and the 2 girls were talking about there weekend. I waited with a shoe in hand, one was facing me but pretended not to notice.

In most shops, the clothes were in heaps on the floor, people walking on them, and no one to tidy the rails up

I worked as a sale assistant abroad and you had to go the extra mile for each customer, checking the stocks for extra sizes, colors, etc... I know the job is not terribly exciting and the pay is not great and the customers are sometimes a pain in the neck, but unless the shop sales something that no one else does, the customers will go away and the store will close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Went shopping in town yesterday. Out of 15 stores I visited, only 2 had helpful staff who asked me if I needed help with anything. One was a young girl, visibly starting a new job and eager to last. The other one was a foreign lady who must have worked in retail in a country where customers do count. In 3 sport stores, I stayed with a trainer in my hand, looking for someone to ask for the right size. Eventually grabbed the girl behing the till in the 3rd one, she was very helpful in the end but her 3 colleagues whom I had seen when getting in the shop were out of sight.

In a shoe store, I was the only customer and the 2 girls were talking about there weekend. I waited with a shoe in hand, one was facing me but pretended not to notice.

In most shops, the clothes were in heaps on the floor, people walking on them, and no one to tidy the rails up

I worked as a sale assistant abroad and you had to go the extra mile for each customer, checking the stocks for extra sizes, colors, etc... I know the job is not terribly exciting and the pay is not great and the customers are sometimes a pain in the neck, but unless the shop sales something that no one else does, the customers will go away and the store will close.

i think this is happening anyway, many of the stores are due to close once january sales finish. these guys are out of a job soon.

besides i hate when people pester me in shops. i didnt like it in the states and dont like it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Why didn't you give one of them a nod or just ask for help?

listermint wrote: »
    besides i hate when people pester me in shops. i didnt like it in the states and dont like it here.

Totally agree with this, I hate being pestered. But the simple line of "if you need help with anything just give me a shout" is so simple, it's not intrusive but it lets you know that there is someone there to help.

I cannot stand being ignored in a shop and I agree with the OP, if that's the attitude of the sales assistants (and I've seen it plenty of times) then the shops will close and these girls will wonder why they're out of a job.

On the flip side, I went to Conns Cameras just off wicklow street Christmas week to buy a camera, the guy was so unbelievably helpful and as a result, I'll go back there and I'll recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

listermint wrote: »
    i think this is happening anyway, many of the stores are due to close once january sales finish. these guys are out of a job soon.

I'm the same. If I need help I will ask for it, otherwise I like to wander around without being disturbed by an assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

surely there must be a happy middle between pester and assistance? I don't like someone who jumps on my back as soon as I step into the shop, but if I hold a shoe for 5 minutes in one hand, darting glances around, it means "is there someone available".
    I don't think it should be up to the customer to interrupt the staff's conversation. Sometimes you even feel like you are such a bother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People aren't psychic. If you want help, ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

All of this is down to bad management. Employees talking while ignoring customers should not be happening. Also messy rails are most likely due to understaffing or staff being diverted to something else- not something you can blame individual staff for, moreso a store failing, which again might be out of their hands if they're fecked for staff after Christmas- January wages budgets are particularly unwieldy.

Plenty of shops care more about maximising the store to make the most sales possible- all stock on floor possible- various moves and shoving stuff to the front, on the aisles, etc. etc. than about actual customer service. Management getting annoyed at staff for falling behind in tasks because they were busy helping customers was fairly common in my last job (the busier the store the worse it is for customer service generally).

Shop assistants are not going to care about the recession- while they're working. They are not paid per sale or on commission (the vast majority are not)- you cannot make someone who deals with hundreds of customers a day on tills or loads of customers on the floor- care about individual sales or the loss of a customer. It's totally different if you're the store manager hoping to improve on last week's figures or if the shop is dead quiet and on the brink- but sales assistants, no.

Sorry, but I don't fully agree here. I was a shop assistant once in a busy shop, and my role was to, well, assist, as the name seems to imply. Other than tidying up the store, arranging the shelves, folding and refolding again and again, checking the stocks, unloading new collections, etc... All the while looking after customers, trying not to be too insistent as to not deter them. All this on the minimum wage of course

A simple "can I help you?" or "let me know if you need some help" is all it takes to make the customer feel looked after. It shouldn't be up to the customer to search for someone and ask them. The girl in Clarks did and I bought shoes there rather than their competitors, it's as easy as that. In the end, if she hadn't asked me and I wanted to buy the shoes, she would still have had to go to the stockroom to find the right size, so the real difference is that she proactively helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I partially agree, there are some shops I wont go into when I'm just browsing because I know they will be over to see if I want help. But if I'm standing in a shop holding ONE shoe, I def need help. I cant buy ONE shoe. It's madness and I would probably leave.

Other than that I will approach a sales assistant when I need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

whats the recession got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Why didn't you give one of them a nod or just ask for help?

That would be too easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Staff numbers are down everywhere and many may not be "serving" but doing other jobs to pick up the slack due to some staff let go...all to do with the recession.
    i would recomend calling over someone or nodding to gain attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i work in retail and will always ask the customer if i see them looking lost or confused if they are ok but also you have to take into account the fact that its after christmas and hours are slashed to a budget wise..... there are 2 full time staff where i work(me and another girl in a different department) and i find now that now instead of been on the shop floor doing stocking,orders dealing with reps that come in im also expected to serve on tills i dont mind doing it i love tills but is just management cut hours and expect you to do the other 3peoples hours there after cutting as well as ur own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I think the poster is talking about Temp Staff Syndrome - affects many retailers worldwide and nearly always at Christmas.

Staff brought in for about 4/5 weeks to give a hand at christmas and during the sales. Very little interest and not trained for more than an hour.

Signs of syndrome is flicking of the hair, fingering the nails, doing sneaky phone texts in corner & trying to look busy by folding the same shirt for the tenth time.

This syndrome disapears about now and doesn't re-appear for about 11 months.

Normal service resumes next week. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i really wish the staff would leave me alone until i want them. just make sure youre available when i turn looking for you but dont annoy me.

three and currys and awful for this. they swarm on you and if youre there 5 mins youll be asked by at least 3 staff if they can help. theres no cop on. just leave me alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It shouldn't be up to the customer to search for someone and ask them.

really? why not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

maxer68 wrote: »
    I think the poster is talking about Temp Staff Syndrome - affects many retailers worldwide and nearly always at Christmas.

Staff brought in for about 4/5 weeks to give a hand at christmas and during the sales. Very little interest and not trained for more than an hour.

Signs of syndrome is flicking of the hair, fingering the nails, doing sneaky phone texts in corner & trying to look busy by folding the same shirt for the tenth time.

This syndrome disapears about now and doesn't re-appear for about 11 months.

Normal service resumes next week. :D

That was in the old day, for the last 2 years there have been no temp staff or overtime where I work, just stretch yourself out!!

I can understand when the shop is busy and understaffed (M&S, take note! your staff is lovely but there is clearly not enough of them), and I wouldn't blame the poor staff running around carrying stuff and being asked by 3 people to bring this and that. I think anyone can assess when staff is clearly under pressure and when it's not.
    I once went into a sport store to get trainers. After 10 minutes of looking for someone I went to the 3 people who were busy chating behind a door, one darted an annoyed glance and eventually "dealt with me". I asked him if I could get these shoes in a size 7 please, to which he replied "have you looked on the shelf?". Sure, give me the keys to the storeroom, I'll fetch them myself. He came back 5 minutes later with one shoe, and told me that there was only one left. ONE shoe, not one pair. "Which is why they are on special", says he. "Are all these on special because there is only one shoe of each pair" did I ask. "Yes" :eek:. This shop has since closed.

In another shop, I asked a girl who was on her mobile to see a dress that was in the window, but which I couldn't find on the rails. She didn't hang up, she put her hand on the receiver and said "if it's not on the rail, we no longer have it". To which I replied "can I buy the one in the window, then, it's my size". No, came the answer, it's in the window. Ah. Indeed. I see. Bye then. Was I surprised to see the shop closed this time? Not really

So what does it have to do with the recession? Well, in a recession, people are reluctant to part with their money, so you have to go the extra mile for their custom. If the size is not on the rail, offer to check if it's in the stockroom, or to order it for the customer (which also means they will have to come back). In a recession, it's also much harder to get a new job when the shop closes so it's in your best interest that it stays open. Ultimately, the staff is not to blame if a company goes bust, but surely if the customers are happy to come back it's more likely to stay afloat.

It's the same in every business. If you had the choice between 2 restaurants serving the same food at the same prices, you would opt for the one where waiters go that extra mile for you. And when people say "why don't you go and ask the assistant for help", would you expect in a restaurant to walk to the counter and ask for the menus or that they are brought over to you? Why is it any different in a shop? unless of course the assistants are all busy in which case you have to grab one.

So what does it have to do with the recession? Well, in a recession, people are reluctant to part with their money, so you have to go the extra mile for their custom. If the size is not on the rail, offer to check if it's in the stockroom, or to order it for the customer (which also means they will have to come back). In a recession, it's also much harder to get a new job when the shop closes so it's in your best interest that it stays open. Ultimately, the staff is not to blame if a company goes bust, but surely if the customers are happy to come back it's more likely to stay afloat.
    Customer service should be good, no matter the economic climate. That was my point. Although I dislike the attitude that somehow your custom is more important now, with a little undercurrent of "they're lucky to have jobs"
    It's the same in every business. If you had the choice between 2 restaurants serving the same food at the same prices, you would opt for the one where waiters go that extra mile for you. And when people say "why don't you go and ask the assistant for help", would you expect in a restaurant to walk to the counter and ask for the menus or that they are brought over to you? Why is it any different in a shop? unless of course the assistants are all busy in which case you have to grab one.
    The difference is that everyone who goes to a restaurent knows they are going to be served by a waiter. Not everybody who goes to a shop likes being "hassled" by over attentive shop assitants. They're there to help you, not serve you. Is it really so outrageous to suggest that if you want help, you ask for it? To stretch our restaurent analogy, you don't go to a fat food place and sit down and expect to waited on, you go to the till and tell themn what you want

Dodge wrote: »
    Customer service should be good, no matter the economic climate. That was my point. Although I dislike the attitude that somehow your custom is more important now, with a little undercurrent of "they're lucky to have jobs"

The difference is that everyone who goes to a restaurent knows they are going to be served by a waiter. Not everybody who goes to a shop likes being "hassled" by over attentive shop assitants. They're there to help you, not serve you. Is it really so outrageous to suggest that if you want help, you ask for it? To stretch our restaurent analogy, you don't go to a fat food place and sit down and expect to waited on, you go to the till and tell themn what you want

yes and no. As I mentioned, there is a difference between a "let me know if you need help" and "sure, this mustard top looks lovely on you, we also have matching shoes...are you sure you don't need help" :rolleyes:. The same as in a restaurant you expect someone to come asking you if everything is ok but not 10 times and refilling your glass every 5 minutes. Also, in a fast food place, you know you are not going to get the service, the same when you shop in Tesco or Penney's. Now, in a shoe store where all sizes are not on display, you obviously need someone to get the right size for you. I thought I had mentioned that in some stores, there was no one to be seen, or the people where talking in a corner, didn't register my presence even when I was standing beside them. Should I have coughed, asked "ahem, sorry to bother you but...."? :confused:

• Advertisement

You should've walked up to them and asked them for what you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

You should've walked up to them and asked them for what you wanted.

Interupting a conversation takes confidence and many people would be put off from doing it. Two staff standing chatting while a customer stands by, shoe in hand and looking hopefully at them is the height of ignorance and poor training. It's bad form, simple as

Maglight wrote: »
    Interupting a conversation takes confidence and many people would be put off from doing it. Two staff standing chatting while a customer stands by, shoe in hand and looking hopefully at them is the height of ignorance and poor training. It's bad form, simple as

No, it's not bad form

al28283 wrote: »
    No, it's not bad form

What is it then?

:confused: It's just asking a store worker to help you out. Why would that be bad form?

No, that's fine of course. The bad form is the shop staff continuing with a private chat while a customer is standing in front of them waiting to be served. It forces the customer either to wait until they are finished, or interupt them. And a lot of people feel uncomfortable interupting a conversation. So they stand and wait, or leave the shop.

They could've been talking about anything work related. Seems to me like the OP was looking to take issue with staff that day.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

the_syco wrote: »
    People aren't psychic. If you want help, ask.
    Actually a good shop assistant needs to be not quite psychic, but very good at reading body language. Some customers wont ask for help, but if you approach them at just the right moment, they do actually want help, and you can make a sale that way without seeming pushy. You have to be able to read people, and thats something you learn with experience and if you actually want to do your job right.

I agree with the op, in a shop the staff priority is to sell. Thats your wages right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Do what my Dad does goes up and asks them "sorry for interupting your private conversation but would you like to make a sale and take my money or should I go elsewhere". They are there to assist not to chat.

• Advertisement

They could've been talking about anything work related. Seems to me like the OP was looking to take issue with staff that day.

No I wasn't, proof is I just left the shop, didn't make a fuss about it or made any comment to them. I indeed find it daunting to interrupt someone, it's the whole "I am really sorry to be here" attitude. And no, they weren't talking about work either, because I heard their conversation unless work involves Tracy going out with Stephen. ;)

Advertisement